Is it not safe for a young girl to live in Istanbul ?

Hello everyone!
I am a young woman of 24 years old , i am an English teacher and I am considering of trying to move to Istanbul for a work.The only thing that makes me think twice - is that I am single blond young woman. I once had a job interview with a Turkish school (business English)and they were satisfied with all except that I am a young lady and their clients are mostly men and it might be a "tricky" matter. Would I be bothered  by men that much like they meant?
Please help me to make up my mind.

Hello Cheburecus,

I moved to Istanbul two months ago and from what I've seen, Istanbul is a safe place.

a lot of turkish girls are blonds also and they are free to wear every kind of clothes. 

Generally speaking, turkish people are respectful and helpful.

That is a boy's point of view!!! maybe girls will give you better advice!!

Hi,

I travelled to Istanbul about 3 years ago, and I would be surprised if you had any problems; it's a modern vibrant city and without doubt one of the friendliest places I have visited; I suspect that a lot of "western" impressions of Turkey and the treatment of women stem from stories of holidaymakers to the beaches and coastal resorts, and whilst there is no smoke without fire such tales are often sensationalised.

Hello Cheburecus,

I'm a Turkish and have been living in Istanbul since 1988. I just say  one thing to you dont worry! You can come and work here without any doubt.

but not safe for young men =P I'm just kidding =)

Take care.

Hello Cheburecus,

Istanbul is a very big city. Here you can find lots of intersting and different people. Most of them are friendly and helpful. But as i mentioned before here is very huge appr. 14 million people leave here.Lots of expats and foreigners live here so there would not be a problem for you too if you know where to and with whom to hang out. No place is safe if you find the wrong people.
So if you come you will be welcome.

Cheburecus,
I just googled "Single young blonde woman in Istanbul".Sadly it returned with no smiling faces:)

hi
i think there is no more problem than any other cities , although i hope you do not face with any problem over there,
and another matter is that the good feeling which you will have after socializing with different cultures
hope you have a good days over there

Hey

As a girl in a similar position to you you will have problems im afraid. You just have to be more careful than you probably are at home and be sensible. You will also just need to have a tough skin to let it not bother you

Nicky

Come on girls, you won't  be as more unsafe as you would be any where in the world.

Hi,

Istanbul, Turkey is just as safe as any other BIG city. I have seen more crime in NYC than I have ever seen in Istanbul.  Yes, it's a mans world but it's not Saudi Arabia ! :)

I've been here for 7 years, I'm blonde, I'm western and I've learned to stand my ground. Do as the local women do and only work for non sexist's employers (obviously this guy was a sexist).

Pm me if you have questions.

[email protected]

İ can say yes, as a local istanbul guy. but as well as other cities. for example foreign girls walking on la rambla street are disturbed by local guys in Barcelona. Its everywhere. but you will learn how to hang in istanbul. so im sure u will find a way to get used to. it sounds bad first. but you will find more elegant places to go. all i can say it is just try your chance.

İf you are stunning, flawless like model , probably because men would be desperate for you  if you are not, no need to worry... no one would harass you, it s so normal if someone likes you expressing self properly and then you can say I am not intrested...is it problem for you?

you'll have one of your greatest times in your life :)

every country have its dangers. . as long as you know how to behave, you'll be fine for the rest of your life :)  live a life others cant, travel, make money, experience. . .

if ever get in trouble , CALL me :00

Sorry but I have to disagree with you there . There is street harassment and it's not only at holiday resorts. You just have to learn to be more agressive and stand your ground. I'm been living here since 2006 and ... yes , women are not treated completely equally but that said it's not the GULF for sure. :)

olubamidele wrote:

Hi,

I travelled to Istanbul about 3 years ago, and I would be surprised if you had any problems; it's a modern vibrant city and without doubt one of the friendliest places I have visited; I suspect that a lot of "western" impressions of Turkey and the treatment of women stem from stories of holidaymakers to the beaches and coastal resorts, and whilst there is no smoke without fire such tales are often sensationalised.