Foreign architect looking for a job in Istanbul

Hi,

I´m a spanish architect working in Vienna, and I want to move to Istanbul. My girlfriend lives there. I speak Spanish, english and german, but no turkish for the moment. I have lots of questions, but it would be great if you could help me with this:

1.- honestly, is it possible to find a job as an architect if I don´t speak turkish and don´t have turkish nationality?

2.- According to my research, first I should find a job offer, and then apply for a work permit, work visa, and finally a residence permit. The application process will take at least 90 days. Can I try to start to apply for the residence permit and work permit before I get a Job offer so that I can start to work as soon as possible, and not wait 90 days?

Thanks a lot for your help

Hı Jose...

Your second point stands as is.

For the first point,  people barely speak English in Turkey with exception of a few.  As far as I've interacted with locals,  people including managers,  directors and even at higher positions often don't speak English at all.. If you hope to find some reasonable clients,  you'll need to learn Turkish (and for architecture, a LOT of connections). Period

Hope this helps.
Good luck

Hi Xeeschan,

Thank you for your advice. I´m starting to learn a bit turkish, but I think it´s going to take me ages to speak properly. My hope is to find a job meanwhile , in an office in which they speak english.

Jose Luis Llaca wrote:

Hi Xeeschan,

Thank you for your advice. I´m starting to learn a bit turkish, but I think it´s going to take me ages to speak properly. My hope is to find a job meanwhile , in an office in which they speak english.

Good luck with that. And, pay close attention to the advice, given to you by Xeeschan. :cool:

You're welcome.
If you have any questions, please feel free to search/post on the forum.

Good luck

Jose Luis Llaca wrote:

Hi Xeeschan,

Lets see you first because my office is a foreign office and we have different kinds of nationals working as Engineers and architects,we can guide you and work together...