Job offer in Olso. Guidance needed

Hi All,

I am Amit Pawar from India having 10 years procurement experience in the Oil and Gas sector. Currently I am working in Dubai.

Well, I too have got an offer from one of the reknowned Oil and Gas company in Oslo. My joining date is 19th Nov 2012.

My employer has offered only single status visa and thus would like to know how can I bring my wife and 6 months old daughter on a long term visa. As I have seen from the official govt. website, the family visa can be issued only for 90 days stay with a validity of 6 months. That means I shall be able to stay with my family only for 2 months in one complete year. Can any one of you who have there family on a long term visa in Norway explain me about the feasibility and procedure to do arrange for a visa that shall enable my family to stay continuously with me.

Another issue is w.r.t medical insurance. My employer is covering only myself under the medical insurance. How do I manage the medical expenses for my family? Is this being covered under the tax that is deducted from my salary. I understand all infants/children are provided free medical facilities in Norway excluding the minimal consultancy fees. Appreciate your responses on this issue.

Also, please guide me if there is any specific locality where most of Indians leave.

Look forward for a quick reply.

See you soon in Oslo.

Cheers !!!

Amit

Hi All,

In the above post read that as "That means I shall be able to stay with my family only for 6 months in one complete year."

Hello Amit.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

For more interaction, a new thread has been created from your message on the Oslo forum.

Hope you'll be guided by other members soon.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hey,

These are complicated legal questions that you ask. The best for you would be to contact your employer who can liaise with NAV (the social security here) for the health insurance issues. I would say that if your family don't have a Norwegian Id number they won't be covered by the system here but you have to get this confirmed.
hop this helps, good luck for your job!

Thanks all for responses. Appreciated.

Hi Amit,

Can you please let me know your employer who helped you out in getting work visa. Can you provide me some more details that how much they charged for visa processing.

Thanks
Paadam

@Paadam

My employer is one of the Oil and Gas companies in Oslo. I am really but right now I will not be able to disclose the employer name. I will be able to do so only upon receipt of work permit.

Charges for work visa is NOK 3000 that shall be taken care by my employer. Similar charges will even be applicable while I sponsor my family.

Hope to have suitably answered your queries.

Amit

If you want your family to be with you, than you need to check carefully and make very certain that your family will be allowed to stay. Most countries I have lived in have no problem with families staying if one person has a valid visa, but not Norway. Immigration here has no qualms here about splitting up families, regardless of how long you've been married or the ages of your children. Check with UDI, the Norwegian immigration authority, about this (http://www.udi.no). You might want to consider calling them as well in order to explain your situation and see what your options are. There are always long queues on their line, so be prepared to wait.

ONLY LISTEN TO UDI. Many people, including other government agencies and Norwegian embassies abroad, will say that UDI does things which UDI does not actually do. Immigration laws changed here in 2010 and many people still are not familiar with them (including government employees who should be but aren't). Any answer on immigration in Norway does not count unless it comes directly from UDI. This includes Norwegian embassies - they only decide if you and your family can come to Norway, while UDI is the one who decides if you can all stay, so unfortunately you can't trust the embassy's answers about what will happen to your legal status (and that of your family) once you are in Norway. I cannot emphasize this enough, get your information from UDI - not from your company, not from an embassy, not from NAV, but from UDI and UDI only.

Additionally, UDI is notoriously slow. Once you have an answer and are ready to begin the paperwork process, start as soon as possible an be prepared to wait. Makes copies of everything you send to them, as UDI sometimes loses paperwork and then blames you for not turning it in. Be polite with them, but also prepared to argue and push back if you feel they are not treating you fairly.

As was mentioned above, NAV (http://www.nav.no/English) can answer questions about health care. Any serious issues such as injury or sudden sickness will get treated regardless of status, and will either be free or cost just a small fee (under $100).

I am not sure what type of visa you have. I am from India and holding skilled worker visa. My  wife got her visa last month and she can live and work here as long as my visa is valid.

@Bibin...was it much complicated to apply for wife's visa? What are the documents required and how much cost does it make? How much time does it take to get this visa?

I too am in the process of receiving skilled migrant visa and am joining in Oslo on 19th Nov. Would appreciate if you could give some inputs.

Can you also throw some light on the accomodation. My company is in Fornebu and thus would prefer a close by location connected with metro.

Cheers.

Amit