New Member - Hello All

hello everybody.
I am new to this forum, i recently got approval for the Norway Job search visa and will be moving to Norway by the early March.

I am really excited about the prospects of exploring this beautiful country and meeting new people.
A brief background about myself, i am Parag originally from Mumbai India, i am an IT engineer and MBA (IIMC ) (is there an IIM alumni in oslo if anyone is aware? )

i worked as a Senior Consultant with PricewaterhouseCoopers for 3.5 years and now am Head of Business Development for an American Technology Consulting company in Africa.

I would like to know how is the Consulting Job market in Norway , as in how competitive is it for Expats and how difficult would it be without knowledge of local language?

I am really looking fwd to interact with expats in norway and would be great to catch up while i am there.
Please feel free to give me a shout !

cheers

have a great day
Wishes
parag

Hi Parag,

Welcome to Expat.com!

Thank you for this introduction.

All the best,
Christine

I cant tell you all the information you asked about but I can tell you to get a work visa for a job in Norway is a feat in itself, thats the part alot of expats find hardest in all honesty.

The job market in Norway is competitive, especially in the capital Oslo, however you said you've already got knowledge in this field so at least thats a start - The language will be a problem, I'm 99% sure that it will be the biggest problem you will face, though everyone as a general rule will probably speak English fluently they do like you to know the language, more so than a lot of countries I've visited.

I would advise you to start looking at Norwegian courses in the area, if you are lucky you may even find some free classes here and there. At least being able to show them you are starting to learn the language and making an effort is something  and may give them the confidence to hire you thinking you will learn the language.

Hi thanks for the inputs !

Was wondering if the job market scenario in terms of competitiveness and salaries along with Cost of living are much different in other cities like bergen compared to Oslo ?

Regarding language, i can totally imagine the situation, actually i read a few blogs and honestly its a bit scary because of all the negative vibes i get through reading the blogs about how ridiculously difficult it would be if you dont know the language to find a job.

but i hope is big multinationals would or at lest i hope should be fine with english !

How long you been in Norway and idea of the Consulting industry?

I know that some of the big companies (General Electric for example) use English for their recruitment and day to day working. That's likely because it's an American company though.

salu bonne anne 2012
je ma pelle ingrid ,je suie norvegiene de oslo .
j abite an suisse .
racote moi commant tu vie a oslo ilia de la neige .
tu parle norvegien cette une langue tres dificile moi je suie pas
arivee de la prandre jai melange les deux langue quante j ai ete petite ,.

salu  bonne chanse pour ta vie an norvege ,la vie et train dificile
la langue ,tu et oubliger de la predre le norvegien .

ah well, i certainly dont understand french !!!! so ...... mind translating ?!?!

Could you please write in English Ingrid as you are in the Anglophone forum?;)

Thanks,
Harmonie.