Keeping a dog in Malta

I am thinking of moving to Malta next year. I
visited in October to gather info on cost of living, rented accomodation etc.. My problem seems to be finding rented accomodation where a small dog is welcome. Mention dogs in estate agents and their eyes glaze, is it really that difficult to find accomodation because I have a dog ?
Before I finally decide on moving I need reassurance that I will find dog loving accomodation to rent. Its a case of if the dog can't come then we don't.

Please advise.

Welcome on Expat-blog Rodbyrne!

Thread moved to the Malta forum. I hope another member will be able to advise you.

You can also post in the Malta classifieds. It might help.

Good luck
Christine

Hey Rodbyrne,

We're in a similar situation - we have two cats and we are investigating property in Malta as well. Maybe because it's cats, but when I mentioned it to the real estate agent he didn't think it was a problem at all, and neither did the person who was showing us around, so I would think that moving with a dog should be doable.

I've also rented with a medium sized dog before, and I applied to places that said 'no dogs' and managed to talk my way in. One thing that made a big differencee to a lot of landlords was that I created a little doggy resume for my dog, including her volunteer work (we visited hospitals to cheer people up), a picture, character references and references from previous landlords. Landlords never called her references, but I think it's what made it possible for me to get places that were 'no dogs' regardless.

Have you looked into importing the dog yet? We're just working on that, and if you have any info to share that would be great. We've already done a rabies titer for a previous move, so as far as I can tell all we need to do is deworm and detick 24 hours before arrival, show the proof of rabies titer and continual vaccination (pet passport) on arrival, and poof! We're in. I've also read some places refer to getting explicit permission 6 weeks beforehand, but that was on pettravel.com, not on the maltese site. What have you found?

Hi,

we brought our cat from the USA to Malta one year ago. If you follow the rules there should be no big problems. We recorded our preparations on
www.an-american-in-malta.com
Check out the ' Your Pets' section for more information.

I wish you luck