Is it better to live in a compound?

Salaam/Hi,

I have just moved to Riyadh (a couple of days ago :s) with my husband. We are living in an apartment on the outskirts of Sulaimaniya- both my neighbours are local and don't speak English...so i'm wondering how will I start making friends... :s

Whats life on a compound like? Is it much easier to meet expats?We tried driving by one, but it was heavily guarded up.  I grew up in Dubai, so my idea of compounds is just nice villas with a shared pool and gym!  would you say Riyadh compounds are more or less like that? What are the advantages of living in a compound as opposed to living in independent villas/apartments in Riyadh?   

I'm sure i'll have plenty of questions over the next few days/weeks or even months! So please bear with me...!

Thanks

I guess it is a matter of personal opinion and so I will make mine known.

I personally think that expats should all live in a compound, for a number of reasons.

- You are not subject to the same social restrictions as Saudi nationals
- You can live relatively free from harassment from the mutawaa
- You are grouped with expats in general which makes for a potentially better social life
- You have access to the compound group facilities (varies between compounds)
- You have much better security of person, like you mentioned; compounds are heavily guarded and with good reason.

Compounds are very expensive, though you can generally see why. I would suggest that if you could, go for a compound as opposed to living on the economy.

There's information (and a list with addresses/phone numbers) on the guide:

https://www.expat.com/en/guide/middle-e … ation.html

Best of luck!