Looking for practice work in Iceland this November

Hey folks. I am a hunting/forestry student from Sweden who will be seeing practice this upcoming November(week 45 to 48, possibly part of week 44). I've had some sh*tty luck, though, as the intern spotin Iceland that I had planned to take did not, at closer inspection, actually exist. I'm thus left with one month left until November, and I'm still lacking an internship. I would very much like to stick to my plan of visiting Iceland during this time, so I'm fishing around for any job that I would be able to do.

What I am looking for is, of course, a learning experience, and I will take most practical jobs that also offer a place to stay and to store and cook food. (I follow a grainfree and mostly low-carb diet for health reasons, and it would be great if I were able to stock up at least once or twice during my stay.) Preferably, I would like a task that lets me work at least partially outside. Game and wildlife management interest me, as would anything involving tame animals or the procurement and handicrafts of animal products such as skins or meat. As for farms, I do have common sense and knowledge of most farm animals, but unfortunately lack a drivers license for both cars and tractors. I do not have the physique, nor the experience, to accept industrial fishing jobs.

I'm not particularly prude, and I am not closed to improving on my experience and knowledge if you have any spots open that involve things that I haven't listed. As long as it's legal and won't involve that horrible fermented shark dish, I'm mostly all ears! I'm 18 years old. Please contact me, either through this thread or through a PM, if you need any additional information.

Thank you for reading all this way :) Chiao.

uff.. I think you're going to have a hard time finding something that fulfills your criteria. You're coming in November, which isn't a great month for internship type of activities to start with. Plus, you're looking for the kind of position that is generally more common in rural areas, which means limited food choices for your diet and much greater reliance on vehicles. Iceland outside Reykjavik is very rural and public transportation during the non-tourist months is very spotty, especially given that you'll be coming when the weather starts to get pretty bad.

maybe someone else here has a more optimistic view and more information but at first thought, I think it may be quite difficult to achieve this in such a short time.

there are some farms around Reykjavík and some horse stables but I'm not sure that would give you what you're looking for.

Yup. S*cks for me :/
It's still worth a try, though. I really don't have anything against taking a more urban job in Reykjavik, but I'm just not certain what I could even do in there to begin with. The fact that I have a bad grasp around language, geography, currency and culture would restrict most options down to nearly nothing unfortunately. Practical jobs on the other hand, well, I can DO those.

Doesn't hurt to look and see if anything comes up, at the very least. *shrug* As long as I'm not stuck sitting around doing nothing, I'll take basically anything. It's not like I'm looking for a fancy job, I'm really just looking to return to Iceland for a while and this is an excuse. I'd like to spend a year or two there sometime, so I'd like to see for myself what your lovely infamous weather is like during the non-summer months. :D

Hello HolyLlama.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

The Jobs in Iceland section is at your disposal. Do not hesitate to post an advert there. It could help.

Wish you good luck in your research,
Aurélie

one idea: you could contact the Icelandic veterinary association to see if they have any ideas.

their English site:
http://en.dyr.is/