Using dual Irish/American citizenship in Hong Kong

Hi. This is my first post. I hope this is an appropriate place for a couple of questions about using my Irish passport to live and work in the Hong Kong SAR and eventually mainland China.  Maybe you can offer an answer or direct me to someplace that can?

I'm American with dual American/Irish citizenship and I want to move to the Hong Kong vicinity to open a small graphic design/marketing business. I plan to eventually obtain a WFOE eligibility which I know is very expensive and involved. It may take up to a year and up to $15k I've heard.

UK/ Irish citizens can get a year-long tourist Visa I believe I've read, vs 30 days tourist visa as an American. I know it's illegal to work without a sponsored work visa, so I'd like to look into the  possibility of "happening upon" a sponsored job once in country, then leaving and re-entering. Is this common and permitted or frowned upon?

Initially I would arrive in HongKong from LA as an American and get an entry Visa on my American passport. Or can I simply switch to my Irish passport before Hong Kong customs?

How would I go about using my Irish citizenship to get a Visa on my Irish passport unless I arrive  in the country using that passport?

thanks for helping me!

Larry

Hi Larry,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

With an American passport you can get into Hong Kong for 90 days without a visa.  Longer stays depend on what type of visa you get.  Work visas last a year or more.  You can come and go as often as you want with most visas.

China usually gives 6 month visas if you have an American passport, but it's only good for 6 months.  The amount of time you can actually spend in China is usually limited.  The first visa will likely only give you 2 entries, but any visas after that will be multiple entry.

It's very illegal to work in Hong Kong or China without the right visa.  If caught, you will be on their list and probably never allowed back in China.

If you're in Hong Kong and get a job in China you should get the Chinese work visa before going to China.  If you're in China on a tourist visa and get a job in China you'll probably have to go to Hong Kong to get a work visa.

You should use whatever passport you used to enter the country.

Thanks for taking the time to respond Hailey. Sorry for the very belated response, I got badly sidetracked...:(  but the info you gave still helps.

You're welcome.