Looking for advise/tips on dog walking..

Hi Everyone,

Now and then since I started walking my dogs two months ago I get neighbours telling me something in vietnamese that I don't understand. I have a little park area in front of my house that I use to take my dogs to and now and then I have boarder which I walk at the same time. I know that they maybe telling me not to take my dogs there as they do not want poop at the park but I bring poop bags with me.

One time I was walking by the riverside and there was a man telling me while sweeping a dried up poop at me and saying my dogs did this angrily. I then defended myself and said that please look at the size of that poop it's definately not my dogs as I have a small size puppy and as you can see in my 'Offering pet boarding service' topic my current boarder is also small and the size of that dried up poop looks like it was a big size dog. Anyways he was still scolding me in english about it and actually asked me if I know in foreign countries people bring poop bags. I told him I have poop bags and he asks me where as I wasn't holding any so I said my dogs has already done their poop and I have disposed it in the bin. He definately did not believe me and shooed me away waving his hand. That was really mean and rude.

This morning again I have a opposite neighbour telling me something in vietnamese and pointing at some area off the park. This is becoming frustrating and unfair for me as I have seen lots of times that many neighbours around here DO NOT walk their dogs, their defination of walking their dogs is opening their gate and letting them wonder by themselves. Sometimes I wish I could speak vietnamese so I can tell them to stop blaming me about their frustrations. I still walk my dogs but I wonder most times when am I going to get harrassed again.

Any advise or tips that can help me? I think I might need to find someone to help me write a note in vietnamese to let them know to stop because it's really getting on my nerves now.

My boyfirend was telling me defend myself in Chinese and that would stop them but then I will just look like a crazy person lol and I don't intend to be bad to my neighbours.

oooooooooooooooooh big problem. I had almost two years ago similar. And I not have only one dog. They could not walk here and could not there, ever fu.. dig shit collected daily and piled up in front of our house( let it be 500 kg+, they collected daily). Some "officials" also turned up with dodgy requests like dog tax .....

Sometime later, the whole truth of it came to light.

They where in fact angry, that they could not break in in to our house (out of fear from dogs, we had 11 :)) and demanded up to 6 million VND per household monthly on compensation. That, they spoke up later very clear, without shame.... towards my wife.
Now the street is full of rubbish again, rats ...the way they like it, we simple bought a new place, on the opposite side of the city, where we stay now since 2 years very happy.

Just consider, the dog shit is not the reason, it's either you or they want a compensation for whatever.

What's the fuss?

I've seen VNese defecating and urinating in the parks and roadsides.

A couple of months ago I saw a woman, on the side of the road, and she used a piece of gray plumbing pipe as men do their penis. Funny as hell.

Perhaps you could train your dogs to poop down drains, standing on the sidewalk?

I really don't know what the fuss is all about honestly. Maybe it's just like what l3ully said, they want compensation for whatever or they just don't like me/us as we are the only expat around here.. I hope they can just leave me alone lol..

Hi,
I am Vietnamese, and even me i got the similar problem. they don't even care your dog size or your dog already made shit or not and did you clean it yet, people are like that. when they see your dog they will say something.
I think you will take 2 bags with you when you walking with your dog in case of that situation happen again. Or don't care about them, no need to talk with the people that just want to complain as what i did with my neighbour. i have to show that i am bad because they were bad to me.

Sara_Xuan wrote:

Hi,
I am Vietnamese, and even me i got the similar problem. they don't even care your dog size or your dog already made shit or not and did you clean it yet, people are like that. when they see your dog they will say something.
I think you will take 2 bags with you when you walking with your dog in case of that situation happen again. Or don't care about them, no need to talk with the people that just want to complain as what i did with my neighbour. i have to show that i am bad because they were bad to me.

Thanks Sara_Xuan for your advise, I'm glad to know that they are not treating me differently just because I'm not local. I will try my best to ignore them but sometimes it's difficult because they walk right up to you to complain lol..

I had almost the same experience with my puppy.  I am the only foreigner in an apartment building.  Many people saw me clean up after the dog but I still found a nasty message on my door and a woman screamed at me in English for 30 minutes.  Just ignore them.  They do not want a foreigner living near them.

Just another reason to leave.

catsophat wrote:

I had almost the same experience with my puppy.  I am the only foreigner in an apartment building.  Many people saw me clean up after the dog but I still found a nasty message on my door and a woman screamed at me in English for 30 minutes.  Just ignore them.  They do not want a foreigner living near them.

Just another reason to leave.

you seem to be quite homesick?

Come to Saigon pearl if its not too far away from you. People walk their dogs here all the time. If you have a nice dog, I've seen people wanting to take pictures with your dog.

Hi Phi Long,

Unfortunately Saigon Pearl is too far for me to take my dogs to twice daily but thanks and maybe one day I'll bring my puppy there for fun :)