Does anyone else feel the same...?

I remember being that girl. You know the one, that loves Egypt, wants to leave the life she knows for a new adventure in a foreign land, joins different websites to see what other people are experiencing.

At that time, no one could of said anything to change my mind. I was determined to come and did so within 6 weeks of making the decision. This was early 2010, before the revolution.

I lived in Cairo, on Falaky for the ones that know Downtown, for a few months. Life was great, had so much fun and I have great memories. I didn't have problems of being harassed, of course you get the looks but I did have bright blond hair so I wasn't surprised, never really felt unsafe, and always had job offers which I never took up. I then returned home, for personal reasons before coming back to live in Ismailia with my new husband.

I don't regret it and I'm glad I took many risks.

But now... now when I see posts from people wanting to move to Cairo/Egypt my first thought is WHY?!

I know everybody has their own different reasons but I really don't have anything positive to say to them. :(
- I will point out here, I'm not Egypt bashing, I don't hate Egypt - but I just wonder WHY people want to come.
After everything that has happened in the past 18 months and the problems still happening, I don't understand it... really, what has these people seen on the news that make them think 'I want to go there'!
- also I'm not talking about holiday seekers here... if they do their research then they would know Sharm/Hurghada has not been affected and is peaceful.

I don't hate living in Egypt but I don't love it either. There are many things I would like to change and looking in doing so. Plus if the new government want any tips, I'll be glad to help!

What is everybody else's opinion on this? And sorry to the Egyptian folk but I want EXPATS opinions not yours, as obviously you will be biased... just from what I've seen on other posts!

Why did you come to Cairo Egypt in the first place?

My reason for coming is not the point of the post.
My point is I don't know what to say to people that want to come NOW.

This Expat.com forum is unlike other forums I have visited. One such forum has members that have been in Egypt for many years, and to be honest, they can be rude to new members asking 'whats it like', 'where should I live' and 'how can I get a job'.

I don't like the rudeness but most of what they say, things that people would view as negative or downtrodden are, in fact, reality. :(

If people want honest answers from folk that have lived in Cairo/Egypt for a long time, they will find that these people don't always have positive things to say and no longer have a rose tinted view of the country.

My point of this post is to ask others if they feel the same. Its not a rant about Egypt post if thats what anyone is thinking.

I feel the exact same way. I don't love it here but I don't loathe it either. It's a very difficult place to live in and it really doesn't have much to offer unless you're looking for somethig in specific. I myself moved here knowing exactly why I left NYC but now I'm no longer sure if my decision was the correct one. There are tons of changes that MUST be made but I don't see the natives wanting to take the initiative. So this makes life even more difficult. I only know of my experiences and they haven't been pleasant at all in the past month or so. I've only been here for 4 months and I'm ready to go back to NYC but choose not to for the time being. There is a lot of racism here and mainly towards NON WHITE/NON European expats. Seems that there is more racism here than anywhere else I've ever lived. too many issues to list but I have no idea why people come here. Egypt doesn't open doors for opportunities like many other Arab countries nor does it offer you anything. You have to offer it something but then again the people might reject your offer. Hence making life virtually unbearable at times and hindering any progress. I really having nothing positive to say at this time because all I have seen from Egypt is utter and absolute negativity. Which is really sad to say because it could be a much better place if the people of this country cared about it at all. 

MrsIsmail wrote:

I remember being that girl. You know the one, that loves Egypt, wants to leave the life she knows for a new adventure in a foreign land, joins different websites to see what other people are experiencing.

At that time, no one could of said anything to change my mind. I was determined to come and did so within 6 weeks of making the decision. This was early 2010, before the revolution.

I lived in Cairo, on Falaky for the ones that know Downtown, for a few months. Life was great, had so much fun and I have great memories. I didn't have problems of being harassed, of course you get the looks but I did have bright blond hair so I wasn't surprised, never really felt unsafe, and always had job offers which I never took up. I then returned home, for personal reasons before coming back to live in Ismailia with my new husband.

But now... now when I see posts from people wanting to move to Cairo/Egypt my first thought is WHY?!

I know everybody has their own different reasons but I really don't have anything positive to say to them. :(
- I will point out here, I'm not Egypt bashing, I don't hate Egypt - but I just wonder WHY people want to come.
After everything that has happened in the past 18 months and the problems still happening, I don't understand it... really, what has these people seen on the news that make them think 'I want to go there'!
- also I'm not talking about holiday seekers here... if they do their research then they would know Sharm/Hurghada has not been affected and is peaceful.

I don't hate living in Egypt but I don't love it either. There are many things I would like to change and looking in doing so. Plus if the new government want any tips, I'll be glad to help!

What is everybody else's opinion on this? And sorry to the Egyptian folk but I want EXPATS opinions not yours, as obviously you will be biased... just from what I've seen on other posts!

yes meems74 you're sadly right about racism. Egyptians are not ashamed to be racist in my opinion when speaking to them on the subject. But I have a Kenyan friend here in Ismailia and she says its something that she hasn't noticed... but then when I hear the Egyptian side, its sadly not the case :(

I like your sentence "Egypt doesn't open doors for opportunities like many other Arab countries nor does it offer you anything. You have to offer it something."... as this is what I have always said about Egyptian employers - and I'm sure many an Egyptian would agree with me on this!!

If I'm honest it is because of the working environment and the 'bosses' I have had that has made my time here in Egypt very stressful and difficult, and again it is the same for many of my Egyptian friend and family who are just trying to make a living and live a decent life.

Its the attitude of 'this is the way it is' that upsets me though, they accept injustices when they shouldn't, so I agree that changes need to be made by Egyptians themselves. The revolution was a start... but now the workers need to start making a stand against their employers!!

meems74 wrote:

Egypt doesn't open doors for opportunities like many other Arab countries nor does it offer you anything. You have to offer it something.

Egypt is not like other Arab countries (UAE, Qatar, Kuwait, Saudi) coz it's not as rich as well. N with the situation of the country after revolution which makes the economic dropped, plus many of the people who used to work outside the country (in Tunisia, in Alegeria, in Libya, in Syria, etc) had to come back by force that created more unemployment ... it's not easy for the country to offer anything, it's suffer even to offer their own people.

N why you chose Egypt? Why don't you try other Arab countries? My guess is that the procedure to come here is easier, which means that this country still open it's arms for you.

There's always plus n minus wherever we stand, it's up to us to make more plus over the minus.

I have just received a private message, from an Egyptian, stating what a 'brave step' I have made by writing this post and that they hope I 'don't get attacked by locals' on this matter.

What makes me sad is this is a forum for EXPATS and the forum shouldn't be filled with 'locals' ready to attack as soon as a bad word is written about their country.

As I said I don't want this post to be a 'lets all have a rant about Egypt' but I want to get the feeling from other Expats like myself - so I don't feel like I'm being unjust and think its only me!
I want to know what people say to others that want to come and LIVE here... I'm not talking about holidays but actually living the life.

I live my life here like an Egyptian... I don't have a fancy job and get a 'foreigners' wage. When my employer decides to not pay me then I eat the same bread as the rest of the nation! And my daughter receives the same government vaccinations as the baby that lives next door. Oh but thats only when they are in stock, as they are not this week! 

so attack all you want 'locals' but I would argue I am a local the same as you and if anyone wants to ask about living in London I will be happy to give my HONEST OPINION! :D

Egypt is not a rich country because previous Dictators and Governments have taken what rightfully belongs to the Egyptian people. Just look at the Suez Canal Company. I live in Ismailia and see and hear the huge container ships that go up and down the canal every minute of the day. Millions of dollars are paid for these ships to travel along the canal. But where does this money go?
Its not invested back into the towns and cities along the canal.

The people of Ismailia see's nothing of these millions.
Instead they have to pay Suez Canal Company if they want to use one of the many nice parks/clubs they have around town.

So Egypt could be rich... but just have idiots in power that don't know how to invest or are just taking it for themselves.

I hope that myself not considered as 'attacker' :D. Coz I was just trying to see from the country point of view. I've been living here for 11 yrs n I can see the downhill of this country at the moment ... which is sad :(. But I try to understand also, as everything in this life always has the ups n downs.

no you weren't khriy just thought I would have my answer prepared for any ;-) lol

you have very understanding answers, I like it :)

I'm not talking about jobs or wages. I'm talking about the attitude, the opportunity to provide the country with a positive change, the opportunity to be accepted and welcomed, the opportunity to be an individual without being judged for not being Egyptian. I am American born but my roots are half Egyptian and half Tunisian/Turkish and because of this I'm not fully welcomed here. I am not given the opportunity to thrive here by SOME people. I am ranting about the extreme negativity about the people in the country. I am just pointing out a fact that many people like me face. Why is this country selectively racist? why is this country so hell bent on remaining negative? why so much anger and hatred? don't blame the government, this isn't an excuse. Look at the Palestinians. They have it worse than any Arab yet they build their land and welcome their people. Look at India, look at what they have done. Making up excuses to validate your 3rd world status and lack of progress is inexcusable. I am here to make a difference in this country but I keep facing discrimination and not from the government. it's from the people. Why? because I'm not Egyptian enough or am I too American? both seem to be excuses I hear. The problem here is that the people are afraid to be positive because they've been so negative for so long. This is the problem here.

No other arab country has this attitude. this country needs to look in the mirror...it's a very unpleasant reflection.

Final word, Egypt has enough resources to make it richer than the Arabian countries but the past regimes and the people stole from it. It's both the people and the government. So let's not blame just one side. it's both.

I hope I'm not being to harsh but this place is a bit abrasive.

khriy wrote:
meems74 wrote:

Egypt doesn't open doors for opportunities like many other Arab countries nor does it offer you anything. You have to offer it something.

Egypt is not like other Arab countries (UAE, Qatar, Kuwait, Saudi) coz it's not as rich as well. N with the situation of the country after revolution which makes the economic dropped, plus many of the people who used to work outside the country (in Tunisia, in Alegeria, in Libya, in Syria, etc) had to come back by force that created more unemployment ... it's not easy for the country to offer anything, it's suffer even to offer their own people.

N why you chose Egypt? Why don't you try other Arab countries? My guess is that the procedure to come here is easier, which means that this country still open it's arms for you.

There's always plus n minus wherever we stand, it's up to us to make more plus over the minus.

meems74 wrote:

I'm not talking about jobs or wages. I'm talking about the attitude, the opportunity to provide the country with a positive change, the opportunity to be accepted and welcomed, the opportunity to be an individual without being judged for not being Egyptian. I am American born but my roots are half Egyptian and half Tunisian/Turkish and because of this I'm not fully welcomed here. I am not given the opportunity to thrive here by SOME people. I am ranting about the extreme negativity about the people in the country. I am just pointing out a fact that many people like me face. Why is this country selectively racist? why is this country so hell bent on remaining negative? why so much anger and hatred? don't blame the government, this isn't an excuse. Look at the Palestinians. They have it worse than any Arab yet they build their land and welcome their people. Look at India, look at what they have done. Making up excuses to validate your 3rd world status and lack of progress is inexcusable. I am here to make a difference in this country but I keep facing discrimination and not from the government. it's from the people. Why? because I'm not Egyptian enough or am I too American? both seem to be excuses I hear. The problem here is that the people are afraid to be positive because they've been so negative for so long. This is the problem here.

No other arab country has this attitude. this country needs to look in the mirror...it's a very unpleasant reflection.

Final word, Egypt has enough resources to make it richer than the Arabian countries but the past regimes and the people stole from it. It's both the people and the government. So let's not blame just one side. it's both.

Very well put meems74 for people that don't know Egypt like we do, I think you have summed it up quite well.

Its interesting what you say about being half Egyptian and still not being accepted. I have read many articles on this, as I am now raising my own little Egyptian/British baby, and it seems this is quite common.

I know a half Egyptian, half Dutch girl and she has been fighting with herself all year as to where to live, having been brought up in Holland but came back as an adult to work. After her cousin was killed in the revolution, she says she doesn't have the 'Egyptian mind' to stay... but for personal reasons doesn't feel at home in Holland either. Its very sad that she doesn't feel accepted in either of her 'homes'. (and obvious to point out that every country has its issues - in this case Holland)

But why are Egyptian like this? Why are they not accepting of someone if they weren't brought up here? Why so much negativity? Why the judging?
aaahhhhh its exhausting! :(

I know my siblings and I all feel 'homeless'. We're not accepted in the US because we're muslim and personally wear hijab therefore I stand out more. It is a very sad issue and the reasons why Egyptians are racist against their own kind and other people can vary from person to person. I believe the main reason is the fact that you will be compared to them. Which is something Egyptians do amongst themselves. There's a kind of competition going on that I haven't fully grasped yet. Nor do I care to understand it either because I'm sure it's something I won't like. I don't have the "Egyptian mind" either as I lean towards having an islamically influenced culture vs. a national culture(US or otherwise..but I am still American and grateful that it allows me to be accepting of other people and respecting diversity). Therefore my experience would be even more interesting when I do mingle with Egyptians. They are secular (and they can't deny it as I did speak to someone here that didn't even know what time Salat Al-Asr was..umm HELLO! the 3rd adhan of the day that you hear everywhere you go. that one. nor did they know what a Khalifa was).  Now you're British therefore you're more accepted than I will ever be. In terms of your daughter they'll love her because she has a british mother. Confusing? yes. I'm part Turkish/Tunisian so why aren't I accepted in the same way? because I'm of a nationality that doesn't count for them as the British Nationality does. It's purely selective and I'm sorry to say very ignorant and cruel. There is a reason for it and it's the fact that Arabs in general are racist and have been for centuries. I just didn't nor couldn't have imagined the magnitude of the issue until I came here. I won't leave because 'arrogance & ignorance' drove me out. I'm here and whether Egyptians like me or not they will have to accept it. If I have to deal with their racism then they too will have to deal with what I have to offer. I'm here to make a positive change and I don't care if they want it or not. Insha Allah I will change one person or even two but that's where we need to begin.

MrsIsmail wrote:
meems74 wrote:

Very well put meems74 for people that don't know Egypt like we do, I think you have summed it up quite well.

Its interesting what you say about being half Egyptian and still not being accepted. I have read many articles on this, as I am now raising my own little Egyptian/British baby, and it seems this is quite common.

I know a half Egyptian, half Dutch girl and she has been fighting with herself all year as to where to live, having been brought up in Holland but came back as an adult to work. After her cousin was killed in the revolution, she says she doesn't have the 'Egyptian mind' to stay... but for personal reasons doesn't feel at home in Holland either. Its very sad that she doesn't feel accepted in either of her 'homes'. (and obvious to point out that every country has its issues - in this case Holland)

But why are Egyptian like this? Why are they not accepting of someone if they weren't brought up here? Why so much negativity? Why the judging?
aaahhhhh its exhausting! :(

The reason why expatriates flock to Egypt is very simple. They are either travellers who are doing a gap year and then decide to stay, or they fall in love with a local and get married, or as it is the case now, there are no jobs in their country of origin, and are looking for a cheap place where to start a new life. Many of the expatriates are fascinated with the 'orient' and decide to stay for a few years, and the easy 6 months to 1 year visa, makes their stay even easier.

The crisis that is hitting Europe and the US has created a new influx of migrants who just wants to get out of their mediocre life in the west, or simply they are escaping front the stressful life of EU cities. Skilled workers and highly qualified people will be normally heading to UAE and the Gulf, Malaysia and Indonesia. Those who do not match the immigration criteria of wealthier countries will be logically heading to countries with easy visa and low living costs, such as Egypt.

If Egypt would restrict its visa criteria, impose taxes and control like other countries, you will see the expatriates suddenly decreasing in number.

The current immigration system does not actually do a favour to unemployed Egyptians, as foreigners are often working on a tourist visa for low wages, taking away the job to those who have more rights on it. Egyptian companies are equally responsible for hiring 'illegal workers'.
Many language institutes work on these basis, so they hire foreigners maybe with a CELTA certificate (hey it takes 4 weeks to get one!)  instead of hiring properly qualified teachers who should have at least a university degree. This kind of job offers attract those from EU or US who are desperately looking for a job and accommodation, but it is never a long term solutions, as it is seasonal work with obligations and no rights.

I hope this helps to shed light on some of the reason why people expatriates to Egypt.
Of course there exceptions that confirm the rule.

I was the same i loved egypt since i was like 5 years old and even watching the christian religious movies on tv i always sided with the egyptians LOL i felt sad about the pharaohs lol i always had a connection with egypt. anyway i came here in 2006 and it wasnt as i expected but i loved it and th0ught it was awesome and still do. i still feel the same lol even with all the changes. and when the revolutio happened i was glad for the egyptians that they finally took a stand. i used to have conversations and say if they dont like mubarak why dont they overthrow? ppl said it would never happen lol.

people ive talked to that want to come even now its because they are sick of where they are and want a change. for me even if it was now that i wanted to come instead of 2006 id still come for the same reasons. things are kinda crazy now but havent they always been? i used to laugh when i first came here because of situations that would happen. very unorganized and simple thinking. but to me thats part of the charm lol some things annoy me but thats everywhere. we dont have the paradise til we die if we are good lol

for me nothing changed when i go to cairo i never walk around alone. just like in pre-revolution. also, just stay away from tahrir :-D

MrsIsmail wrote:

i read the other posts and i dont know.. i dont work outiside so maybe i dont see this but i dont see the egyptians as racist.. when i came here everyone said "welcome to egypt" an smiled and were very nice and funny. and anyone i talked to seemed so nice..i have never felt an arabian was being racist with me.. if anything they were impressed that i was american and converted to islam and loved egypt so much. even the country people were so friendly and hospitable.. really nice people. maybe the workplace is different i dunno.

layla1313 wrote:

i read the other posts and i dont know.. i dont work outiside so maybe i dont see this but i dont see the egyptians as racist.. when i came here everyone said "welcome to egypt" an smiled and were very nice and funny. and anyone i talked to seemed so nice..i have never felt an arabian was being racist with me.. if anything they were impressed that i was american and converted to islam and loved egypt so much. even the country people were so friendly and hospitable.. really nice people. maybe the workplace is different i dunno.

Yup, neither do I .. never face so called racism thingy for 11yrs of living here. But if sumthin like this happened in the workplace, my assumption is coz the people think that expats come to their country only to steal the jobs that supposed to be for them. N with the increase of unemployment, this subject becomes sumthin so sensitive.
What I heard from my hubby (n he's 100% Egyptian), it really becomes a jungle out there .. people just wanna get rid of other people by any reason. It happens among Egyptians themselves, not to mention if there's stranger coming. A quote that I ever read, when the public enemy has gone, people will start to search a new one among them.

My mainreason is to study Arabic. And in Egypt it is more English oriented than in other arab countries. I am going to Egypt in February inshallah, but because of all the stories I start to doubt if it is such a good plan. Besides this story I also heard a lot of stories about the Egyptian roots, not to be racist (I have Arabic roots as well) but that they all well known in the arabic world that they lie a lot. I do not know if this is true, just heard it. But all of it is making me wondering if i will go or not.

This happens particularly in the work area or amongst a crowd of women(as I have experienced). It's not everywhere but it does happen at least once a week for me. I am single therefore they may feel threatened by it..not sure but that's what it appears to be.

layla1313 wrote:

I would just come & see for yourself. Everyone's experiences are different but yes, beware they do lie and they lie a lot. They take advantage of the fact that we don't know much about the country. so be very cautious and tread lightly until you get familiar with your surroundings.

loveinyoureyes wrote:

My mainreason is to study Arabic. And in Egypt it is more English oriented than in other arab countries. I am going to Egypt in February inshallah, but because of all the stories I start to doubt if it is such a good plan. Besides this story I also heard a lot of stories about the Egyptian roots, not to be racist (I have Arabic roots as well) but that they all well known in the arabic world that they lie a lot. I do not know if this is true, just heard it. But all of it is making me wondering if i will go or not.

I'm not an expat in Egypt, I'm Egyptian and I want to share my thoughts in this post. Big percent of Egyptians are racist but they aren't just racist to foreigners, Cairo people think they are better than people from the rest of the country, and they mock countryside and upper Egypt people. And there are a lot of jokes about upper Egyptians. For Cairo people they don't think it's racist, they think it's funny or it's ok to mock the others.

There is also classes racism, each class thinks it's better than the other, like very rich people believe they are the best, then rich, then upper class, then middle class. Even the poor they  mock the very poor.

I'm Egyptian Muslim but I don't wearing hijab and people always judged me for that, also I've met many men who are sexist, I went into fights with those men trying to prove that women and men are equal. I'm very open minded and I used to travel alone and that made people judge me even more.

I worked in Egypt for 7 years in public sector, and I had 5 bosses, 2 of them were great and the other 3 were bad, actually one of them I think he was sent from hell, he was mean and evil to everyone and all of us were Egyptians.

in 2010 I moved to South Korea and I really thought it's a good decision. But I've met many Koreans who are very racist to Muslims and to foreigners. And Koreans judge you on how you look, skin color, what you wear, and all of this kind of things. However, there are good things about living in Korea.

Racism is like a nasty disease and it is everywhere in the world, from the first world countries to the poorest countries.

By the way my husband is American and when he visited Egypt, people were nice to him but there was one man who said "I like Americans but I don't like the American government."

Egypt is just like any other country has good and bad people.

One last thing I want to say is I used to live in Al-saida Zienab neighborhood in Cairo, and it's kind of poor neighborhood. Mubarak and his family have done a lot to my neighborhood, there is a place called Zienhoom and the living environment were really bad there, Mrs. Suzan Mubarak changed that place from a dumpster to small villas with a gardens, this place is 10 minutes away from my house. And the old slaughter houses Mrs. Mubarak changed it and gathered donations to build the children cancer hospital. And there are a lot of things they have done, The government wasn't perfect but it wasn't that bad. People blame the government for their own mistakes. As I said I worked 7 years in Cairo and most of my co-workers were so lazy and didn't want to work at all.   

I have the same feeling about Korea, when someone ask me about working in Korea, I just want to say don't come.

Very well said, biscuta .. indeed racism is like a disease, it exists EVERYWHERE. N thx for sharing about ur experience with the old regime. Sometimes people just can't see the good side, coz they're busy searching the bad side.

MrsIsmail wrote:

My point of this post is to ask others if they feel the same. Its not a rant about Egypt post if thats what anyone is thinking.

good to clarify the purpose of your thread to other people. I got your point without posting this.
but my purpose on this response is, you feel like this now, and you wanted to do something. it is good to tell the whole picture so this thread would be a real social example.

Example : I went to Egypt to learn Arabic, and it ended up I found most of the Egyptians around me speak very good English so I did not have enough chances to practice Arabic.

So this what I meant, what did you want to do and what happened that caused any confusion and disappointment to you in your plan.

at the end this thread would be good help to more who wants to live here.

sorry if my prior response was a bit confusing or caused a slight offense. This was not intended at all. Good you see my point a bit clearer.

General point after reading all the posts, this is an EXPAT site.........it is not called LOCAL-BLOG.com

I have to say that I have never ever received any racist attitude from anyone in this country, only lots of love wherever I go. I am also half egyptian and I felt more racism in Spain for being muslim than here for looking foreign.

erikabrio wrote:

The current immigration system does not actually do a favour to unemployed Egyptians, as foreigners are often working on a tourist visa for low wages, taking away the job to those who have more rights on it. Egyptian companies are equally responsible for hiring 'illegal workers'.
Many language institutes work on these basis, so they hire foreigners maybe with a CELTA certificate (hey it takes 4 weeks to get one!)  instead of hiring properly qualified teachers who should have at least a university degree. This kind of job offers attract those from EU or US who are desperately looking for a job and accommodation, but it is never a long term solutions, as it is seasonal work with obligations and no rights.

This is very unfair.. one of the big sources of income in Egypt is the money being sent by egyptians that live and work abroad, legal and illegal. There are lots of them in countries with high unemployment, should they be sent back then because they are taking local's jobs? It's just how migration works around the planet, if the foreigners may not work in egypt, then egyptians shouldn't be working abroad, and I bet it would be Egypt who'd loose the most because there are more egyptians abroad then foreigners in this country.

About the question made by Mrs Ismail,

I feel days like that, sad and small because there is so much to do, but at the same time I don't want to leave because I am very happy here. Depends on the day. 

Insha'Allah everything will be better, we may not loose hope;)

egypt is a tough country to live i would have never came here without a job offer and still i am contemplating leaving

I like erikabrio point on visa's. I don't really think about things like that... being British and all lol... but since my effort to get to Kuwait has been hampered, it did make me realise that coming to live in Egypt is easy.

When I talked about racism I was talking from my experiences of comments heard about black people from my Egyptian friends and family. I don't have experience about half Egyptians, just from what I've read in magazines, and being a Muslim convert I have been treated extremely well from everybody, Muslim or not.

Yes Egyptian people are kind and friendly... I have experienced such kindness from strangers that I have ever known before. But at the same time from my employers (3 different 'companies' in one year) I have experienced huge injustices and unfairness. That seems common place and is accepted.
This is the life - as my husband says - and you find good and bad in every country. I just don't know what to advise to people that want to come here.

I do find my Ismailia life is completely different to what I knew in Cairo. I am a city girl and you really can't call Ismailia a city lol

but to sum it all up, it is hard and you need to be strong in yourself to live here. Confidence on the inside and out.. and in my experience... ready to take no bullsh*t!! :D

Mrs Ismail i tired to ignore your post for many days; But i couldn't for number of reasons.. To be honest i can't deny most of what you had mentioned is some how true; However frankly speaking all what you had said isn't been meant to be directed or targeting any foreigners or expats of any kind.

Although as my profile tells I'm pure 100% Egyptian but I'm like many of native Egyptians who would feel as if they are expats on their own homeland.

Had you heard about how most Egyptian married women would treat any single women or girl (separated women, divorced women, widow, or any other women who is living on her own) so badly trying to keep those women away from her life and away from her husband. Do you wander why this is happening?! OK.. most Egyptian women would feel that any single women are possible marriage destroyer working on capturing that man for herself.. yes this is  strange but i don't think it is jealousy issue as for sure it is matter of "Love possession" and it never matter if that single women was a friend of the married women for more than 15 years or she is just a client from work.. as long she is female then she would be a possible enemy.:/

The same occurs to men who would treat any other man who come near from his wife circle as an invading and unwanted creature.

The same would happen to any single mum living on her own, most of her married women neighbors either show a sympathy face in front of this single mum or treat her badly to protect her marriage.

what about work environment! oh..There a lot to be told; most old bosses would be harassing and annoying young employees who work under their supervision and may treat them as they are equals running in the same rat race.. which mean they would do all the possible legal or illegal to keep them away of that race and away from he scene.:(

The same would happen between colleagues.. the smart guy or the one who is really working would face many troubles from others who just act as if they are working cause they though he is trying to
catch attention to him, or get promoted faster or just get more benefits.

What about local Egyptian expats coming from outside the capital who come to work in the capital.. Cairo people would treat those expats as if they are villagers who had just come to the big city attracted by city lights.

At the end i would like to confirm I'm not either defending what is happening in Egypt or attacking..I'm just spotting light admitting this is not a foreigners or expats issue at all but is part of the damage occur to the Egyptian society personalty and nature due the government corruption beside the military ruling that differentiate between soldiers, Officers, and normal civil people depending on military guidelines & ranks. Ah.. and don't forget that conspiracy theory is nesting in most of the Arab nations people minds so they believe that any other person may be a enemy just to live the feeling he is a victim can't control his life..

To All.. you are welcome all the time in Egypt and be sure it is not personal at all,it may take time to get real Egyptian soul but when you find that person never leave it sure he would be a true friend for ever.