Visa paperwork outside of home country

Hi,
I'm an American currently living and working in Seoul, Korea. I will be teaching in Kuwait in September and have been working on the documents I need for my work visa. I was under the impression you need to get the police clearance from your home country/country of citizenship as well as submit all your paperwork (medicals, police clearance,etc) to the Kuwaiti Embassy there. Now, I am being told I may need a police clearance from Korea as I've been living here for the past year. Does anyone know anything about this?

i have a teacher friend who's actually making the opposite move, if memory serves, she had to get a PCC from the Us to work in Korea, not from Kuwait.

pickle.

Hi..
The same happened to me.
Yes, you need to get the PCC from your original country.

Here might be help:
1) Degree attested by MFA country of origin & embassy in country of origin
2) Police clearance by country of origin and attested by MFA and kuwait embassy in country of origin.
3) Medical report should be fine anywhere but to avoid problem, find medical centre that is panel to Kuwait Embassy.

I myself is a Singaporean and now working in Malaysia (and will be relocate to Kuwait by September). I experienced such things. The company in Kuwait insist of doing in country of origin while when I ask Kuwait Embassy in Singapore, they said it's should be fine to make it done in Malaysia. :huh:

But the PCC, only the one produce by country of origin should be valid.

Thanks guys. I got the police clearance requirements figured out. It's just a pain and takes a long time to do that, plus the degree verification. So, the actual degree, sealed transcripts, plus the enrollment verification on studentclearinghouse.com (which the Embassy of Kuwait) requires as well, is not good enough. One must get the degree notarized by the local authority, state authority, and federal authority? Wow! :(

Yes. I myself haven't done PCC due to offer letter not yet released. And It will take at least 10 working days for Singapore police to verify my status.

I'm not sure about US, but for us, Ministry of Foreign Affair and Kuwait Embassy should be enough.

Good luck with all the paperwork!!!! It is easy once you figure it out, but if you do not live in the area of your university, it can be a pain.

lme wrote:

Good luck with all the paperwork!!!! It is easy once you figure it out, but if you do not live in the area of your university, it can be a pain.

I have not lived near my university since I graduated. It's been a looong time.

Question: Is it normal for your school to require you to pay for your visa related expenses if the paperwork is not done in time and you have to come in on a visit visa? Somewhere in the ballpark of $600 plus the expenses I'm already out for medical, etc?

bornd wrote:

Yes. I myself haven't done PCC due to offer letter not yet released. And It will take at least 10 working days for Singapore police to verify my status.

I'm not sure about US, but for us, Ministry of Foreign Affair and Kuwait Embassy should be enough.

I think in my case it is ok to get the PCC ahead of time, but it can't be older than 3 months to get stamped by the Kuwait Embassy.
The degree authentication is really a pain because you have to go through all the steps I described above. It's times like these that I wish Superman was real, or that I had superpowers to fly anywhere I wanted!

It's more pain when you are graduated from other country.. :)

I myself a singaporean, graduated from Malaysia university..
I've to make sure it's first notarized by Malaysia authority and embassy in Malaysia before bring it back to Singapore.

Then, I need to get authentication from public notary and Singapore Academic of Law before bring to MFA and Kuwait embassy in Singapore.. :)

katieray wrote:
bornd wrote:

I think in my case it is ok to get the PCC ahead of time, but it can't be older than 3 months to get stamped by the Kuwait Embassy.
The degree authentication is really a pain because you have to go through all the steps I described above. It's times like these that I wish Superman was real, or that I had superpowers to fly anywhere I wanted!

If you are getting your documents processed here in the US, your police clearence must be dated AFTER your NOC is issued. I learned this the hard way and had to do it twice.

crittle73 wrote:

If you are getting your documents processed here in the US, your police clearence must be dated AFTER your NOC is issued. I learned this the hard way and had to do it twice.

I don't think I will have time to get everything done. This degree verification is gonna make it impossible for me to have everything done in time. I don't really know what an NOC is. Is it the document that the school mails you and you have to present it to the Kuwait Embassy? And I am not at present in the US.

katieray wrote:
crittle73 wrote:

I don't think I will have time to get everything done. This degree verification is gonna make it impossible for me to have everything done in time. I don't really know what an NOC is. Is it the document that the school mails you and you have to present it to the Kuwait Embassy? And I am not at present in the US.

Yes, the NOC is the work permit that you send to the Kuwaiti Embassy along with your police clearance, medicals, and any other necessary documents.

It is a long and tedious process. I'm not sure how to go about it from outside the US.

Forgot to mention, please check with your sponsor if you are given a business visa or commercial visa.

If it's commercial visa, it's not needed to wait for NOC and you may proceed with PCC.