Unlocked iPhone 4. Any recommendations for plans/carriers?

Hi,

I just arrived to HCMC today. Would like to get service for my iPhone as soon as possible. It's going to be unlocked via iTunes, this week.

Who are the best carriers in HCMC. Is there a big difference in coverage, data plans and other fees?

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you,
Tanya

Hi,

My IPhone 4 finally unlocked today through STIVIE 099 3888 238.
It costs me mucher than expected but it is better than disable Iphone. No one in HCMC helped but he did anyhow.

He speaks fluent English. Best sms him first. He is down at BUI VIEN street most nights at a bar called SHOTS. It is local cheap bar so you can visit without any concern.

Tanya,

Here, it is not like in the west.  No contract is needed.  Everything is pretty much pre-paid. 

So, just go out to the nearest service provider.  The major ones are Viettel, Vinaphone and Mobiphone.  Then, pay them what you think you will be using in a couple of weeks, get yourself a SIM and number, and you will be all set.  If you want to use the internet, then tell them you want the 3G service and they will even help you set your phone up for the service.

I personally use Mobiphone because, where I live, they have more service centers and their staffs are easier for me to talk to.

When you pay, ask them if they have any promotion, where if you pay 100 thousand VNDs, they would make that into 150 or 200 thousand VNDs for you to use.  Remember, these deposits rollover.  So, the less you pay, the more you will end up going to the center...  That is all.

Hope that helps.
Howie

Wild_1 wrote:

...tell them you want the 3G service and they will even help you set your phone up for the service.

I personally use Mobiphone because, where I live, they have more service centers and their staffs are easier for me to talk to...

Thank you so much for all the information! It really is a big help. Between the US, Sweden and France where I've held long term cell contracts, I have to say that this seems the easiest!

One follow up question: Do you happen to know if the 3G portion of your "refill" can be added and subtracted? I mean, if I pay for 100'VND with data now, but discover that I really don't need it? We're in PMH/D7 and there seems to be wifi available everywhere.

Thanks again! I really appreciate your help!
Tanya

Tanya,

Let's say you pay the service provider 300 VNDs tomorrow; and you want 3G service.  With Mobiphone, that service fee is 40 thousand VNDs per month, for unlimited usage.  So, they will deduct that nonrefundable fee from your account, which will leave you with 260 VNDs for calls and text messages.

The next month rolls around.  They will send you a text informing you that your 3G service fee is up.  If you don't want it anymore, then just text them back as such and they will cancel the service. 

If you have wifi at home and don't travel to the countryside often, I highly recommend that you don't subscribe to the 3G service.  Wifi hotspots are all over the city, especially in Saigon. 

I took a bus to Saigon a couple of weeks ago, and they even had wifi on the bus.  And it was free, too.  I thought that was pretty nifty.

Howie

Hey, are any of the prepaid SIMs in Vietnam micro-SIMs?
As you guys know, iPhone uses micro-SIM so I was thinking whether I'd need to bring my own SIM cutter along when I come.

there are actually 2 options. 1 being to buy a sim card and use the number as a prepaid card. you can refill it any time. or there is the actual carrier.  i'm not too familiar with the carrier, that maybe someone can tell you.

i don't think the price is much difference, since VN only charges you for calling or txting only, and not for incoming calls.

hope this helps. and, Welcome to Vietnam.

As you guys know, iPhone uses micro-SIM so I was thinking whether I'd need to bring my own SIM cutter along when I come.

Yes.  As a matter of fact, I think they all are.  There are quite a few iphones here, in Vietnam.  So, don't sweat it.

there are actually 2 options.

Indeed, there are a few other options, but that depends on your needs and qualifications.  But, in Tanya's case, I think that is more than enough for her to get started.

Wild_1 wrote:

Yes.  As a matter of fact, I think they all are.  There are quite a few iphones here, in Vietnam.  So, don't sweat it.

Oh ok. That's a relief then. At least less 1 thing to bring. :)

Thanks again for the quick reply! I am just finishing up the unlocking process of my French iPhone and excited on getting my Vietnamese number. Doesn't sound like refill will be problematic at all.

Thanks Howie!

I have a Verizon iphone 4 (CDMA).  I am making a trip to Vietnam in a couple of months and like to bring my iphone with me. I don't plan on using it to call anyone or to receive phone call, but I like to use WiFi to check mail and use imap, imessage.  So, I want to "turn off" from receiving phone call to avoid Verizon roaming charge, but still able to use Wifi for imessage, imap, and such.  Do I need to "unlock" the phone for it to work as I intent?  Thanks.

No need to unlock for using wi fi only
David