Are you having internet problems?

Hello,

I am experiencing internet connection problems, which have been going on for almost a week.

Several websites are unavailable, and I cannot open my email on hotmail.com

Is anybody experiencing the same?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Same here, I used VNPT Internet. I asked them about this but they answered like dumbass. That's the result of exclusive Internet. -Sigh-

You can use a software name hotspot shield to change your IP. It's free. you can google it

You can download ultrasurf in order to access some website which can not access in VN. It is lighter than hospot shield.
ultrasurf.us

HSS ELITE works great for me, you can even watch HULU listen Pandora radio without any problem

Being now almost 5 years here - NONE serious ones. The speed is frequently poor - and commonly related to damaged oversee cables.
Otherwise or a single site for some time not avail. here.

May be the Internet line is stuck for a while. Try restarting and doing it again.

For all Ex-Pat facebookers considering using Free proxy servers such as 'Ultrasurf' don't. 99% of the programs contain hidden malware that standard Anti Virus and Firewall software cannot detect.

Check out this link for more information:

wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=237184

Also, I strongly recommend you do not download HotSpot Shield, it will slow down your internet browsing and give you an unreliable connection to the internet.
It also plasters your screen with adverts you cannot delete and some of them are very inappropiate.

My advice would be to ride out of the storm for the next few days and accessibility to sites should improve.

Good advice Bonesy.

My internet with FPT stopped on Saturday and wasn't fixed until yesterday.

I'd organised a new provider meanwhile so I changed over to VNPT late yesterday afternoon.

My experience is that VNPT is not as quick as FPT, however I'll ride it out due to the serious messing about I've had from FPT.

hi thanks for your informaiton

Bonesy gave a good advice and I think it could be damaged oversea cables (as someone said). I don't use hotmail.com so I don't know about hotmail. I use xanga.com and Xanga responds very slow or doesn't respond at all and that's going on for about 10 days. The internet connection is all good with other sites that I frequent. I'm using fpt service.

Could be the kids on school break, some grades are out.

l3ully wrote:

Being now almost 5 years here - NONE serious ones. The speed is frequently poor - and commonly related to damaged oversee cables.
Otherwise or a single site for some time not avail. here.

poor payment, poor connection, poor service!
How much do you pay for internet here?
There's also fast internet for 1.5 Mio VND/month
and it's even less expensive than in these countries in the following list. (In Germany you'll only get 1.7 Mb/s for the package 15 euro/ month)

1 Korea           13.8 Mb/s
2 HongKong     10.3 Mb/s
3 Japan           8.9 Mb/s
4 The netherland  8.5 Mb/s
5 Latvia           8.2 Mb/s
6 Czech R.        7.4 Mb/s
7 Switzerland    7.3 Mb/s
8 Romani          6.8 Mb/s
9 Belgium         6.4 Mb/s

Meanwhile the world's average internet speed is only 2.6 Mb/s, so I appreciate what I get for what I pay here. Vietnam is the country in the S.E.A. in which the internet was least influenced by the sea storm at that time, and now completely repaired.

A month ago I did sign a contract in Hanoi at the CMC, 100k VND/month for 4.0 Mb/s speed, only available in a short period of time.

I'm glad to see this thread started as I was thinking about starting one myself. I have SPT in Q7. Have been having problems for almost 2 months with speed and stability. Prior to that, I thought it was excellent. The latest problem I'm having now is what I call drop-outs every 30 minutes. It's like clockwork. At the exact same time every hour, my internet will stop. No websites, no downloading, nothing. After about 1 minute, it starts again. It's much more likely to happen at night than in the morning (probably due to higher traffic in the evening hours). Anyone else having this problem? Like many others here, when I call tech support they (of course) have no idea what I'm talking about. Since the problem only lasts about a minute, by the time I get them on the phone it's working again, and all they say is "our system shows your internet is working OK now". Several weeks ago I got a tech to my house and MADE him stay there until it stopped. All he did was shrug his shoulders and say "maybe there is problem with cable somewhere." OK...FIX IT!!!! Squeaky wheels get the grease. Maybe if enough of us squeak and bug our ISPs, we'll see some improvement. I pay way too much every month (even considering this is VN) to keep tolerating this.

I don't know what kind of connexion my landlady has subscribed for the house she rent, but we are probably more than 8 using it, and in my room I have 12Mb/s (dl) with a pretty low ping (22ms).

I think it's not bad.

My IP is at FPT Telecom.

@l3ully : you have your own acces or you just pick up an unsecured WiFi arround your place?

saigonmonkey wrote:

when I call tech support they (of course) have no idea what I'm talking about.

ofcourse they have no idea what you're talking about, because they're told/required to do so. That's how they manage to run all services to millions of mobile internet devices and stationary PCs here with immoderate insufficient facilities. I luckily rarely experienced the complete-no-internet status, but it does slow down at times of the day (heavy traffic hours). But most important of all, like I said: POOR PAYMENT, POOR SERVICE. Just grab a better internet package. No one can provide fast I-net conection to all consumers with poor payment.

As I signed the contract at CMC a staff did admit many operators cut down bandwidth to balance out the overloaded facilities, but he also guarantied the stability via the contract with the rate of UL/DL speed = 4.0Mb/s / 1.64Mb/s (thanks to an anniversary of the company I only have to pay 100.000VND/month for that package) it was stable, but I have no idea if it still is, as I moved to HCMC

I THINK the telephone line that SPT uses to connect into your home phone is not in good condition and that affects internet signals transmitted on it. Other better telephone line should be used instead.

saigonmonkey wrote:

I'm glad to see this thread started as I was thinking about starting one myself. I have SPT in Q7. Have been having problems for almost 2 months with speed and stability. Prior to that, I thought it was excellent. The latest problem I'm having now is what I call drop-outs every 30 minutes. It's like clockwork. At the exact same time every hour, my internet will stop. No websites, no downloading, nothing. After about 1 minute, it starts again. It's much more likely to happen at night than in the morning (probably due to higher traffic in the evening hours). Anyone else having this problem? Like many others here, when I call tech support they (of course) have no idea what I'm talking about. Since the problem only lasts about a minute, by the time I get them on the phone it's working again, and all they say is "our system shows your internet is working OK now". Several weeks ago I got a tech to my house and MADE him stay there until it stopped. All he did was shrug his shoulders and say "maybe there is problem with cable somewhere." OK...FIX IT!!!! Squeaky wheels get the grease. Maybe if enough of us squeak and bug our ISPs, we'll see some improvement. I pay way too much every month (even considering this is VN) to keep tolerating this.

Rojamin,
I pay 1,980,000 VND per month for SPT's SP-Pro top level service. Now, do you think I'm getting what I pay for????

and what internet speed is delivered to you there? How many ppl are sharing that package with eachother?
on the other hand I don't hear Flo-vn complain. I have never had that expensive package but it'd be really sad if there still something to complain about :(

rojamin wrote:

and what internet speed is delivered to you there? How many ppl are sharing that package with eachother?
on the other hand I don't hear Flo-vn complain. I have never had that expensive package but it'd be really sad if there still something to complain about :(

I mainly posted here to share my problem and ask if anyone else is having the same problem, as I think this is a system problem as opposed to wiring or equipment in my apartment. (an intermittent connection at my building would not cut out EXACTLY every 30 minutes) This is more of a connection/stability issue than a speed issue. When it's working the speed is outstanding - as fast as I've ever had in USA - but I'm paying 4 times as much as I would in USA, so it should be fast. Don't know what you mean by sharing. Just me and my wife use this connection in our apartment. As to how many customers SPT has using this connection in the area - that's their problem - not mine. I'm paying them for a service and they should provide comensurate with what I pay regardless of how much demand they have. So yeah - I guess you could say I'm really sad, although it's really more frustration than sadness.

Is is a WiFi or cable connection you use?

If it's through WiFi, is your connection protected?

Do you have the same problem when you connect directly to the modem with a cable?

An intermittent connection at my building would not cut out EXACTLY every 30 minutes. This is more of a connection/stability issue than a speed issue.

This sounds line a 'central office' problem.

Don't know what you mean by sharing.

If you get InterNet via a cable system it will be slower as more people log-in. Also, the building distribution system (in the basement) can have speed determined by users.

Just me and my wife use this connection in our apartment. As to how many customers SPT has using this connection in the area - that's their problem - not mine.

I presume you mean SaiGon Postel. Did you call the tech help line? , < [email protected] > It is often to put complaints in writing so they can find someone who knows English. You might be the only ones sharing in your apartment, but how many others are sharing your building feed?

I'm paying them for a service and they should provide comensurate with what I pay regardless of how much demand they have. So yeah - I guess you could say I'm really sad, although it's really more frustration than sadness.

Do you know their "guaranteed" minimum speeds. The ratio between purchased speed and guaranteed speed is a joke. Do you know if/how far fibre is involved in your service. VNPT often run fibre into homes and apartments.

If you back your modem/fibre interface up with a battery you can see if you have fibre as if doesn't fail when the power does.

Some buildings emergency generators don't feed the communications rooms. In my office condo building I had the manager move the power to a protected outlet and now there is almost continuous InterNet.

Some providers do it on the cheap. They buy service from the majors and resell OR they don't protect their facilities with battery back-up.

Remember, some areas have service monopolies, like Phu My Hung, either by the developers doing a deal or the building owners getting a master contract and selling direct to occupiers.

Remember, the back-office infrastructure is totally inadequate to supply the number of subscribers attached. I have a drop near Dak Lake and I and my neighbours routinely enjoy 12 mbyte service - through the Da Nang gateway.

Try rubbing suppliers together, see if they offer better services/deals:

OCI (One Connection Internet)
G/F, Saigon Software Park, 123 Truong Dinh
Quan 3,TP HCM
W : www.oci.vn
E : [email protected]

NetNam
72A Võ Thi Sáu, P. Tân Ð?nh
Quan 1, TP HCM
W : www.hcmc.netnam.vn

SPT
21 Phan Ke Binh, Da Kao Ward
Quan 5, TP HCM
W : www.saigonpostel.com.vn

Plus the bigger ones such as FPT, VNN and VNPT.

Even where your building has signed up to a master contract, law changes now permit occupiers to select other providers if they are willing to run cable. A friend, in such an arrangement, had VNPT run fibre in to his apartment and the owners noise was quickly suppressed by the Ministry of Communications.

Wi-fi, cable direct connection, it doesn't matter. SPT technician witnessed it stopping while connected with the cable. If they have a clue as to what's wrong, they're not saying, and they're certainly not doing anything about it.

Do you know their "guaranteed" minimum speeds. The ratio between purchased speed and guaranteed speed is a joke. Do you know if/how far fibre is involved in your service. VNPT often run fibre into homes and apartments.

I stated in the post to which you're replying that speed is not the issue.

Even where your building has signed up to a master contract, law changes now permit occupiers to select other providers if they are willing to run cable. A friend, in such an arrangement, had VNPT run fibre in to his apartment and the owners noise was quickly suppressed by the Ministry of Communications.

I was given authorization by my landlord 4 years ago to make any changes I need to make, and have already changed ISPs twice. Have also talked to a representative from FPT who told me their service would not be as good in PMH as what I currently have. I'm not looking for the best ADSL for the money, I'm looking for the best ADSL period. Fiber-optic will always be better, but I'm not willing to pay fiber prices right now. Hopefully they'll be more competitive with my current ADSL cost in a few years, and I'll switch.

Wanted to follow up and let everyone know that good customer service does indeed exist here. Made another call to SPT and they sent a different technician to my house who spoke very good English, and was willing to spend enough time to solve the problem. What we found is that (even in VN) internet problems aren't always the fault of the ISP. In my case, it's my modem. It is apparently overloading and re-booting itself every 30 minutes. He let me borrow his modem, which is just a run-of-the-mill D-Link, and so far I've had nearly flawless connection and speed for 48 straight hours. Now I'll just have to decide what to do about getting another modem once he takes his back.

Might want to check out these guys:

http://www.draytek.com.vn/home.aspx

Thanks for the follow up, it happens very rarely on this site.

Budman,
Your post gave me a chuckle. My modem is a Draytek Vigor 2700. Don't think I'll be purchasing another one. :-) But thanks for the recommendation anyway. Will probably buy the same or similar as the one I'm borrowing right now, which is a D-Link.

Hmmmm, I have a 2700e, bought it over 4 years ago used. Still works great.

[moderated]

What make FB so "important" to many people? I don't use FB. Do i miss something in this life because of not using FB?

Many girls are so addicted to FB that they rush on me to finish reparing their PCs so that they have PCs to surf FB. LOL.

@LoveLife : you seem out of topic. If you want to know why facebook is so important to many people, just try it. ;)

Flo-vn. I have tried FB. A woman paid me to teach her to use FB so I created an account there to know the arounds. After I stopped teaching her and made some money, I stopped coming there.LOL.. 

Flo-vn wrote:

@LoveLife : you seem out of topic. If you want to know why facebook is so important to many people, just try it. ;)