Which internet provider to choose?

Hi everyone,

We just arrived in HCMC and are looking for a reliable (and fast) internet provider. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Rob

If you don't want useful sites to be blocked ask about their censorship policy first. Other than that, speed depends on how much you pay, and the provider could depend on where you live. PMH dist 7 is expensive place to live, but if the internet is important to you it might save some heartache.

FPT is the best internet provider in my opinion. You can google for FPT :D

jezer wrote:

If you don't want useful sites to be blocked ask about their censorship policy first. Other than that, speed depends on how much you pay, and the provider could depend on where you live. PMH dist 7 is expensive place to live, but if the internet is important to you it might save some heartache.

Thx for that, didn't even know there were providers up here who didn't block useful sites? Do you know any?  Ans we are going to live in D1. That's a nice marketing approach; speed up and pay more...

ForwardRob wrote:
girl_like_me wrote:

FPT is the best internet provider in my opinion. You can google for FPT :D

Hi, just looked at their site but seems to me they service a lot but can't find anything about prices directed to internet?

the price is quite cheap. maybe b/c it's in Vietnamese so you can't find? I will have a check for you. Also, FPT provides the best service.

Chi tiết khuýên mãi ngắn gọn khách hàng phải thanh toán
I. Dịch vụ ADSL mang đẳng cấp tốc độ

1.Khách hàng chưa có Modem:
* Đối với MegaME tốc độ 5Mbps:
-Hòa mạng: Đặt cọc 360.000VND/hoàn 600.000VND trong 12 tháng.
-Trả trước 12 tháng: Giảm 600.000VND free tháng 13 free lắp nhanh 500.000VND = 3.600.000VND
* Đối với MegaYOU tốc độ 4Mbps:
-Hòa mạng: Đặt cọc 360.000VND/hoàn 360.000VND trong 12 tháng.
-Trả trước 12 tháng: Giảm 360.000VND free tháng 13 free lắp nhanh 500.000VND = 2.904.000VND

2.Khách hàng đã có Modem:
* Đối với MegaME tốc độ 5Mbps:
-Hòa mạng: Đặt cọc 240.000VND/hoàn 600.000VND trong 12 tháng.
-Trả trước 12 tháng: Giảm 600.000VND free tháng 13 free lắp nhanh 500.000VND = 3.600.000VND
* Đối với MegaYOU tốc độ 4Mbps:
-Hòa mạng: Đặt cọc 240.000VND/hoàn 360.000VND trong 12 tháng.
-Trả trước 12 tháng: Giảm 360.000VND free tháng 13 free lắp nhanh 500.000VND = 2.904.000VND

3. Cước thuê bao dịch vụ trọn gói đã khấu trừ khuyến mãi:

- MegaYOU (4Mbps): 220.000 VNĐ/12Tháng.
- MegaME (5Mbps): 300.000 VNĐ/12Tháng.
4. Đối với khách hàng lấy Modem 4port tích hợp thêm Wifi:
Quý khách đóng phí chênh lệch giữa Modem 4port và Modem Wifi 500.000đ.

Sorry I can't find the English information for that. Can you understand anything? It's quite late today so I can't translate for you. In case you really need that, tell me and we can chat.

Just a comment, Facebook is blocked in here, I am not sure if it applies to all other districts, I am staying in Dist 1. What a let down.

Facebook is blocked everywhere here, but there are plenty of workarounds :-)

Friends in PMH can get facebook with impunity. I have been told only one provider is available to me where I live. They robustly block facebook and there seems no getting round it (tried changing DNS, Lips4facebook, tor project etc). Also BBC site is blocked which is a pity as it's great for news, teaching resources and entertainment. Although Korea it isn't, speed hasn't been an issue untill recently.

And, yes Rob, pay more for speed is prety obvious. Noval idea in a communist country excercising their instruments of control to base people's satisfaction on money. So, what we're left with is a neurotic greedy country, but that's for another blog.

henrylamcs wrote:

Just a comment, Facebook is blocked in here, I am not sure if it applies to all other districts, I am staying in Dist 1. What a let down.

have you a facebook? i'm using VNPT, in the northern and central, it's the best. Facebook is like that :idontagree:. Sometimes, it's blocked and be slowly so much. :nothappy:

jezer wrote:

Friends in PMH can get facebook with impunity. I have been told only one provider is available to me where I live. They robustly block facebook and there seems no getting round it (tried changing DNS, Lips4facebook, tor project etc). Also BBC site is blocked which is a pity as it's great for news, teaching resources and entertainment.

Jezer which dns settings are you using ? most folks I set have no worries using FB via this method.
BBC I've not seen blocked yet, thats a new one to me.

FB is blocked all the time. You can download ultrasurf to your computer and then you can get back on FB :D

thorny_rose wrote:
henrylamcs wrote:

have you a facebook? i'm using VNPT, in the northern and central, it's the best. Facebook is like that :idontagree:. Sometimes, it's blocked and be slowly so much. :nothappy:

I lost contact with all friends after I have moved to HCMC :rolleyes: So sad :(

girl_like_me wrote:

FB is blocked all the time. You can download ultrasurf to your computer and then you can get back on FB :D

Hi Mandy, really? Where can I download Ultrasurf? Does it affect other programs on my laptop?  Thanks alot :):):)

henrylamcs wrote:
girl_like_me wrote:

Hi Mandy, really? Where can I download Ultrasurf? Does it affect other programs on my laptop?  Thanks alot :):):)

Just do a web search for Ultrasurf.  It might be ultrareach.com, but I can't remember.  Ultrasurf really slowed down my computer though.  Anchor Free has been pretty solid though.  Oddly enough though, my facebook is back and I'm on the Google DNS.

joeysmith wrote:
henrylamcs wrote:
girl_like_me wrote:

Just do a web search for Ultrasurf.  It might be ultrareach.com, but I can't remember.  Ultrasurf really slowed down my computer though.  Anchor Free has been pretty solid though.  Oddly enough though, my facebook is back and I'm on the Google DNS.

Ok, I shall give it a try.... thanks for the tips. I am so ignorant :rolleyes:

henrylamcs wrote:
thorny_rose wrote:
henrylamcs wrote:

I lost contact with all friends after I have moved to HCMC :rolleyes: So sad :(

You can make a new quest for your friends again. why could lose? put your pics in pic profile, your friends can
realize. Me too, i have to change by another email. So tired if have to waited Facebook team open locked :nothappy:

henrylamcs wrote:
joeysmith wrote:
henrylamcs wrote:

Ok, I shall give it a try.... thanks for the tips. I am so ignorant :rolleyes:

Just a warning... Anchor Free has ads, and you'll see an increase in spam after using ultrasurf... The price you have to pay for social networking I guess

yup, I have heard about Anchor Free as well. That sounds good.

btw, Ultra Surf can only be used when you log on FB. Don't do anything else while it's open coz it will slow down your computer. Once you finish browsing fb, turn it off and your computer is back to normal.

Ultrasurf is just a program, you don't need to install it. Just leave it on desktop for example and open it when you need to use FB.

Depending on where you choose to live, you may not have a choice of ISP. But if you do, and FPT is offered, it's probably the best all-around for speed vs. cost. I live in PMH-District 7 and require the fastest possible speed, regardless of cost, so I use SPT. FPT is offered where I live, but their speed options are not yet as fast as SPT. If FPT ever offers comparable speed in PMH, I'll probably switch to them. Regarding Facebook - most Vietnamese who work in the IT profession, or for ISPs, know workarounds for the Facebook blocks. If you call technical support of your ISP, tell them you have a problem and ask for a tech to come to your house, once he gets there you may ask if he can make FB work on your computer - and he'll likely know a way - particularly if you make it worth his while.

saigonmonkey wrote:

Depending on where you choose to live, you may not have a choice of ISP. But if you do, and FPT is offered, it's probably the best all-around for speed vs. cost. I live in PMH-District 7 and require the fastest possible speed, regardless of cost, so I use SPT. FPT is offered where I live, but their speed options are not yet as fast as SPT. If FPT ever offers comparable speed in PMH, I'll probably switch to them. Regarding Facebook - most Vietnamese who work in the IT profession, or for ISPs, know workarounds for the Facebook blocks. If you call technical support of your ISP, tell them you have a problem and ask for a tech to come to your house, once he gets there you may ask if he can make FB work on your computer - and he'll likely know a way - particularly if you make it worth his while.

Yup, $ makes the world goes round..............

you dont have to download any software to access facebook, search google and you find a list of things that you can do, just takes about 10mins to 'tweak'and then you'll be able to access the facebook

and i've used vnn and now am changing to viettel because i heard their lines are the least congested...

kool wrote:

you dont have to download any software to access facebook, search google and you find a list of things that you can do, just takes about 10mins to 'tweak'and then you'll be able to access the facebook

Hi Kool, kindly point me to the appropriate direction :top:

etraveltips.net/2010/06/how-to-access-facebook-in-vietnam.html

28 / 3, online AAG (Asia America Gateway) has returned to normal operation after failure disconnected 20 days ago.

kool wrote:

etraveltips.net/2010/06/how-to-access-facebook-in-vietnam.html

Hi Kool, have you tried it? Will it affect the setting for normal surfing?

not that i know of, the settings was done quite a while back ago and it has not affected my surfing otherwise, my only connection problem is due to ISP thats why im switching to Viettel.. i had it with Vnn and their excuses .. at least viettel has it in english and english speaking operators to deal with in case i have problems..

Such a good advice from kool. I'm also using Viettel and seems like it isn't letting me down. Viettel is a sub-company of the Ministry of Defense so its services are quite reliable.

Actually, I first took FPT but its network didn't work stable and shut down usually. Anyway, I have no idea how's it now.

About Facebook, every network providers are blocking it. But experts told me that there are no way people can entirely block a website. You can try Ultrasurf at ultrareach.com/ It's safe, easy to use and free, just a bit slow down your computer while you're using to access facebook.

Thanks everyone for sharing info. The ISP choice will be a headache for me when i move over to HCMC soon...

What about mobile networks? Any experiences to share?

mobile network wise, you can choose either vnmobile or viettel

kool wrote:

mobile network wise, you can choose either vnmobile or viettel

Thanks kool

you're welcome :)

hi can anyone give me a price as to how much is the internet cost per month for 2-3 mbps? a price list would help any internet provider as long as i will know how much, pls help....

FPT ISP - http://www.fpt.vn/index.php?option=com_ … &Itemid=92

Viettel ISP - http://www.adslviettel.com/internet-adsl-viettel

vnn ISP - http://adslvnn.com/san-pham/521/thong-t … c-adsl-vnp

the above links are to the price webpage, hope it helps :)

hi thank you. i really dont understand though , but im looking for at least 2 mbps for the speed, and how much will it cost me per month? hope someone out there can help me.

Get a vpn (free or paid) and then you can access any site you want to anywhere.

anubis_sco wrote:

Get a vpn (free or paid) and then you can access any site you want to anywhere.

This thread is nearly 3 years old...

Please advise ? Which provider is the best for office work in District 3?

I'm in Dist 1 and i've tried both FPT and Viettel's Fiber-Optic internet, i will STRONGLY ADVISE to go for FPT.

Pros:

1, FPT connection and speed is much more stable comparing to Viettel. I have problem with the speed and more often overseas connection at least once a month using Viettel.

2, FPT's customer service and troubleshooting is MUCHHH better. I once called to Viettel asking to speak to an English speaking officer and guess what, they have none. And when i requested for on-site troubleshooting, the technicians only came after 36-48 hours!  :huh:

Cons:

1, Of course, the $$$. FPT is more costly.