Hi im new to this

hola , my name is vicky im moving to cancun in dec of this year , just want a bit of advice. im moving there to be with my gorgeous boyfriend. im just wondering what its like to live . i have been on numerous occassions,just to visit now its time to move . just a little scared as itstotally different , the culture etc. its achallenge, i dont speal spanish at all, will i be accepted etc. i feel safe with my boyfriend ,just a hugh move , never done anything like this before . any advice would be grateful.

Hi vicky,

I am sure you will love it! I have lived in Mexico for two and a half years. There are some big cultural differences and it does take a while to adjust..well, there are somethings that we british people may never fully understand about Mexico :)

Do you have visas and stuff sorted out? Give me a shout with any questions, IŽd be glad to help.

I have a blog where you might find some useful insights in to how to carry on here.....

anything I can help you with, let me know.

Cheers,
Yvonne

thanks yvonne , im just going for about 3 months , then im staying i can stay on my pass port for upto 6 months , then i have to get a visa how much does it cost , can i get it there , im not gonna come back to liverpool if im honest . i feel i little sad as i will miss my family and my cat sad i know .just need some good encouragement , my man is amazing and im leaving it all behind for love . is it normal to feel like this /

Is your boyfriend mexican.

Ok, so you canŽt stay for 6 months without an FM3, unless you are married to a Mexican. You will be given a 3 month tourist visa, which you will have to change to an FM3 before it runs out. Sometimes, depending what mood they are in at the airport, you get less than 3 months. In any event, if you stay longer than you are allowed to, it can usually be sorted out by paying a fine. A visa costs about 2,500 pesos.

One piece of advice is to get every document that you have ever been given; birth certificates, degrees, courses you have been on, and get the important ones legalized (apostille) it is pricey, but you will need it. Get a new copy of your birth certificate - they like ones that were given out in the last 6 months - and get that legalized. This is VERY important. You can get translations done here. Mexicans love paper work, so ANYTHING you have, bring it.

Do you know what kind of work you will be looking for?

I left my cats too, but donŽt worry there are millions of strays that you can adopt.

Do you have medical insurance? I would put money on that you will get ill after a while, I have been in hospital 6 timeswith stomach related illnesses. it can be pricey if you donŽt have medical insurance - i had it with the companies I wasworking for. As far as  ican tell, getting ill is unavoidable for foreigners; I had been here several times for holidays but once you live it is a wohle new ball game.

YouŽre going to love it! But we just have to get you prepared :) donŽt want to scare you, just try to help you avoid the problems I have had.

More questions?

xx

Hi my name is Louis i live in PLaya Del Carmen, Sounds like a real adventure you will be embarking on, and it should be. There are English people out here and you will make friends quick. The Mexican people are laid back and easy going.Good previous advice on paper work, get everything before you come. Make sure your passport is valid for more than six months! One important thing make sure if you drive here, you are insured to. Accidents can be very costly and you could be down the police station for hours or days so drive carefully. The rain here makes the roads kind of icey slippery.
This is a great place with crystal clear blue sea and fresh clean air. You will enjoy it here, the way of life beats England, i have been here five years and would not go back only to visit. I know a lot of people here so ever need any help with anything contact me.

All the best, go for it!

Louis.

thanks louis for your advice. i have been to mexico millions of times . my boyfriend is mexican. we are at the stage were we need to be together . here or there . im afraid its there. just need to get all my paper work sorted . im nearly there with it all. just a little scared as i know the culture is totally different. im giving everything up for love . we plan to marry next year . getting things sorted. i dont speak the language and thats the scarey part . will be living in cancun but my boyfreind and his family have land in playa del carmen and porto morales so we plan on living in one of those places . not sure were yet . i leave england on 28th dec . i have a return ticket as the mexican embassey said its a must so when i arrive i can show the immagration i have my return . its easier i suppose . just scared . iots a hugh step i know . giving everything up , good job , my cat etc. i want to be there so much . cannot wait . just fear of the unknown i suppose . ant advice would be grateful . cheers . vicky.

Vicky,

I too (like many others) gave up a lot in Canada for a new life in Cancun. My husband and i have been married for 4 years now, and we are still just as happy if not happier than we were 8 years ago when we met... in Cancun. I was already living and working here, but I did move back after 18 months. He came up to be with me in Canada, but it just wasn't the same - something was missing. Too much work, and not enough play so to speak.

If you have any questions, or just wanna talk please feel free to conact me as well. As you can see by the other ladies that responded, there are many of us in your shoes who are always willing to offer advice.

Good luck with your move, and start practicing that spanish when you can - it's not a necessity in Cancun at first, but you'll want to learn it :)