Kuwait plans to scrap sponsor system for expats

Kuwait may abolish its controversial sponsor system for foreign workers, described by some as a contemporary form of slavery.
According to Kuwaiti daily newspaper Al-Rai, the sponsor system is likely to be abolished in February, when a public authority for the recruitment of expatriate workers will be set up.
The system, known locally as kafeel, requires all foreign workers to have sponsorship by a Kuwaiti employer before they enter the country.
Because sponsored expatriates find it difficult to change jobs or leave the country without their sponsors' permission, it has been described as a form of modern slavery.
The paper quoted Mohammed al-Afasi, Kuwait's Minister of Social Affairs and Labour, as saying that the abolition of kafeel would be a “gift to foreign workers on the anniversary of Kuwait's liberation” from Iraqi occupation in 1991.
If Kuwait goes ahead with the ban, it will be only the second country in the Gulf Co-operation Council (GCC) to abolish the system, after Bahrain in 2009.

wasnt this proposed in February 2011 to coincide with the 50 20 5 celebrations? as far as i've heard, the kafeel system has yet to be abolished.

If this would push through then this is an awesome news for all expats.

Yes legacy and there re-thinking about
duresprit yah i know and i hope they establish it ASAP