Moving to Oslo.... Big Step!

Hi everyone,

So I have decided to take the big step and leave the UK, which I have been trying to do for the last 3 years. Ideally I wanted to move to Sweden as I had more of a friend base there.

I have been offered an IT support role in Oslo and I have accepted the offer. I will be staying with a friend of mine for about 2 months or so until I get myself sorted with my own place. Which I have been looking to do already.

I have also made an appointment with the local Tax office to get my tax card, open a bank account.

There's one slight thing. This all seems too easy! Not that it's a bad thing, but surely there is more to it than just going to the Tax office/police station to get residency?

All that aside, if that is all it takes, then great! :cool:

I have a small group of friends that live in Oslo and down in Kristiansand but always open for meeting new people in the area.

Thanks

Marc :D

Welcome to Norway!

I thing thats all there is since you are from EU. Maybe you need to registrate at the police too, for work permit. You can read about it here: http://www.udi.no/Sentrale-tema/Arbeid- … S-borgere/

You can be registrated at internet and then only meet up at teh police and show your id and working contract.

Hi Zeast,

Thanks for the information. I have registered online and I have an appointment on the 12th of June. I was told on the phone that they can do all that in one building. I'm not so sure about that though. I guess I'll find that out when I get there.

Fingers crossed :-)

Hi Marc,
You can do it all in the same building, the Centre for Foreign Workers - it's at this address: Schweigaards gate 17, 0191 Oslo, (+47 800 80 000).

The info from the Centre's website:
In order to book an appointment at the Service Centre in Oslo, please choose "Oslo, Service Center for Foreign Workers" when asked for a police district you are applying from. In order to book an appointment at the Service Centre in Stavanger, please choose "Rogaland Police District, Service Centre for Foreign Workers". When you have booked an appointment, remember to meet on time. At the Service Centre in Oslo, proceed directly to the desks no. 22-25. At the Service Centre in Stavanger proceed directly to the desks no. 22-24. You have to wait till one of the officers calls your name. If you have general questions or need assistance to book an appointment, please contact the Police information desk in Oslo (desk no. 25) between 09:00-12:00 or Stavanger (desk no. 21) between 09:00-11:45.

Hey Tom,

Thanks for that. I did call them last week and they answered most of my questions. So it's all good. I'm just really surprised it seems too easy.
My Norwegian mate is going with me too, so it can't be that difficult.

Counting down the days now :D

Make sure you have your papers in order. You need a birthsertificate apostille amongs things.
Just a heads up.

Hey Hravn,

I had already asked that question on the phone and they said all I need is my passport and proof of employment. The only time I need my birth certificate, is if I was trying to apply for a Norwegian citizenship.

I would bring one anyway. I just moved within the eu contryies and they said it was easy easy, but thats not always the case.
So I would bring all my papers ect.

Hello,

I remember being shocked at how easy it was to get all of the paperwork done to live and work in Norway. I had imagined it would be complicated and that there would be a chance I would get rejected. Doesn't seem to work that way at all for EU citizens. I even got granted an indefinite residency/work permit without applying for one.

Good luck with the move,

David

Hi David,

Thanks, hopefully it goes as easy as it seems. I'm sure it will. I don't think everyone seems to find it that easy. Maybe I am just another like ones, they like us Brits you see! ;-)

I'm counting down the days! Two weeks yesterday.

Maybe we can grab a beer/water when I'm over and settled, I think there are few people quite interested in meeting up. Which is pretty good.

Thanks again

Marc

Hi Marc!

I moved here from Ireland last year and I thought the exact same, 'Can it be so easy and simple?'. And it actually is! Its easy for us because we come from Europe/EU, so basically as long as you have a job and can support yourself you can stay here indefinitely! I think its actually a new thing, it used to be more complicated before I believe. Yay for Norway! :)

Hi Marc,

Nice to hear that you are so excited about the move. I would definitely be up for going out for a drink.

David

Hey Tilluka,

YAY indeed. I'm getting more excited about it now, it's getting closer. Although, when I look at it from outside the box, it's a scary thing. Less than two weeks and I'll be starting my new life, new job, new everything! Thankfully I have a job and place to stay, I have read some horror stories about people coming over to Norway with nothing and being shipped back.

Whereabouts in Ireland are you from? My partner is from Belfast, Plastic Paddy I believe they call them! Haha!

Are you in Oslo central?

Marc

David,

Sounds like a good plan. Although after this weekend of Weddings and Jubilee parties, I think a month in Norway, off the booze will be good for me to detox!

Chat soon

Marc

Hi Marc :)

It is a huge step! But I find Norway really suits me, so maybe it'll suit you too!
Well I have to say its pretty stupid/naive to come here and just expect that things will be handed to you and that everything will somehow 'work out'. It is a disgracefully expensive country so to come here without enough money to last you a few months at least (unless you have a job here already) is just short sighted.

I'm from Bray! Its a town about an hour outside of Dublin :) Aha! :) Haha, I haven't actually heard that term before I think but it made me laugh :)

Not in Oslo central no, I live about 40 minutes outside of Oslo in the countryside :)

Tillukka,

Indeed I have a job to go to, it's the reason I'm doing the move. Although, I have been looking to move to Scandinavia for the last three years.
I totally understand that it's a really expensive, I have spent a fortune there between trips! Thankfully I have the salary to reflect the cost of living. :-)

Just over a week now! Cannot wait.

Regarding the whole registering business... yeah mate it's that easy.  As soon as I got my job here all it took was one (planned) visit to the police station in Lillestrøm (was the closest one to where I lived at the time) and it was like, passport, employment contract, here you go have a nice day. Job done!

Yeah I've heard (and kinda experienced) the horror story of coming to Norway without a job and trying to survive the costs, luckily I had the balls to stick it out whatever it took and now have a good job and a great apartment in Oslo (10min walk from Oslo S (the main train station)), perfect for me. 

Wish you all the best in you move, best start learning the language ey ;)

Having two months staying at a friend's place should easily sort you out with money to live on afterwards, you can get some 'cheap' places in Oslo if you're willing to share, else the price should still be manageable on your own depending on where you want to live (and how much the job pays!).

Regards,
Gary

Hey Gary,

Thanks for the good luck. I think the only good luck I need now, is to get my arse there and start work! As you say, having a job helps. It's just a transfer for me. So most of the boxes have been ticked. As I said, only the appointment at the skatt office next Thursday is needed. Oh and book my flight but that can be done the day before, so no worries there!

Thankfully, I have been learning Swedish for the last three years, so I have basic knowledge of the Scandinavian language. It's just an adjustment.... Hopefully.

I am hoping to get my own place. I have shared places for the last few months and it's made me realise how much I hate it. I like my own space and being able to have friends stay over when I want and not have to worry about any one getting in my way and vice versa. Thankfully I have the salary to do that, which is great.

I see you're into your computer stuff too? I am going to be working for Cisco/Tandberg as their onsite support in Oslo :-D

Chat soon

Marc

Yeah mate computers are my life :P Work with them, play with them and have been known to occasionally sleep with them!

I work as a consultant for a small company called Path, we deal with inventory management and maintainence system solutions etc pays the bills you know ;)

Apart from that I love gaming, PC/Xbox, but I do also enjoy some fresh air once in a while!  When you're over perhaps we could go get a pint? 

Gary

Haha! Yes, I have sleep with mine almost every night. Next to me at least, when watching a movie or something.. :-)

Sounds like a nice little cushty job. I'm looking forward to getting into the more technical side of things, rather than just re-imaging or swapping hardware.

Fresh air and a beer sounds good to me.

Marc

How many sheep are you bringing over with you?

.___. I couldn't resist, my conscience wouldn't have forgiven me!

Gary,
Trust me, I cannot bring enough with me! Customs are going to love me. I have to bring my wellies with me too!

Imagine the look at security at 6am in the morning! Can you bring livestock on board a plane ;-)

Could always try and find someone who is cloning Dolly again, worth a try!

How much stuff are you bringing btw?  If you could manage to get it in 2-3 suitcases/bags paying the extra £20 / bag for 20kgs on the plane ain't such a bad idea.  If you need your TV, you're screwed though :P

Well, I think that the Shaun the Sheep that I have will suffice for now!

I am only bringing clothes etc with me initially, I don't want to bring my whole flat with me as I'm staying with a mate of mine in the beginning. Don't think he would be impressed with me using it as a store room.

Thankfully my partner works for BA, so I get cheap flights and cheap/free extra baggage! ;-)

I will eventually get a courier, Pickfords to collect my stuff and ship over. I'm in no major rush for my things.. Yet.

Wonderful, I am considering moving to Oslo, I've always dreamed of it. What are your thoughts? How are you enjoying it?'

Best,

RM

Hey,

I'm not sure if he still checks Expat anymore, Marc has now lived/worked in Oslo for over a year, he extended his contract another year recently too so I'm assuming it's good enough ;) He is looking for a new apartment atm to share I believe, to keep costs down.

There are always some things that are annoying, such as high living costs (rent especially) but there are many things that make up for it, not the least a very high wage.

I moved to Norway a little over two years ago, living/working in Oslo too (Met Marc on here, had some awesome IKEA trips together!).  I like Norway, but it can be difficult to 'fit in'.  Without a job or knowing anyone it can be hard to make friends as Norwegian's in my experience aren't very open to begin with, and although most can speak English lots of them don't like to.

Good wages though, if you work in Norway and travel almost anywhere else you begin to think, "Wow everything is so cheap here!", I'm in Scotland atm (A company trip) and seeing the prices here I'm amazed xD I feel everything is cheap...

Yea man, that's great you got a job offer in Oslo - besides Sweden is not far away from Oslo. Many Swedes go to Norway for work, so it's a good place.

In regard to your question; While "moving to Norway" for you seems easy then it is probably due to the fact that it is a very organised country - and remember it's easier for someone from an EU country to move there, than to someone from say Asia or Africa.

I recommend you go to www.nav.no

It has an English version if you click on the Union Jack top right, and you see relevant information for new people in Norway (it is a governmental site).

One of your important steps will be to go to the "Folkeregister" to get your social security number - I believe there is a muncipality office in Tøyen in central Oslo.

Madmaxly wrote:

Hi everyone,

So I have decided to take the big step and leave the UK, which I have been trying to do for the last 3 years. Ideally I wanted to move to Sweden as I had more of a friend base there.

I have been offered an IT support role in Oslo and I have accepted the offer. I will be staying with a friend of mine for about 2 months or so until I get myself sorted with my own place. Which I have been looking to do already.

I have also made an appointment with the local Tax office to get my tax card, open a bank account.

There's one slight thing. This all seems too easy! Not that it's a bad thing, but surely there is more to it than just going to the Tax office/police station to get residency?

All that aside, if that is all it takes, then great! :cool:

I have a small group of friends that live in Oslo and down in Kristiansand but always open for meeting new people in the area.

Thanks

Marc :D