Need help with short term housing by Zhongguancun Software Park

Hello -

My name is Mary and my daughter just finished her freshman year at USC in Los Angeles.

Through the Business School, she was lucky enough to score a summer internship with a company in the Zhongguancun Software Park but she has to find herself a place to live from June 3 to August 3.

Does anybody have any ideas of where to start looking?  Our budget is around $800 per month (is that 5500 yuan?  I'm still learning) which I don't think is very much in the central city but hopefully it will be OK in the suburbs.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Mary

Hello Mary.

Welcome to Expat.com!

I invite you to read this article about Accommodation in China.

You can also try to post an advert in the housing in Beijing section. It can be useful.

Good luck in your research,
Aurélie

Hi vegasmary,

I live in the vicinity of the spot you mentioned. It's _definitely_ not the suburbs. The comparison of Zhongguancun to Silicon Valley is an appropriate one, with all the shopping (+5 malls!) and other amenities you won't find in the actual suburbs. Unfortunately for her, there's no bars/clubs in the area. You need to go to Sanlitun or Wudaokou :(

The exchange rate is 1 US Dollar to 6.3 Chinese Yuan, so $800 USD = 5040 CNY. I'm paying 4800 for a furnished studio, but I think I'm overpaying a bit; so I think the price you're looking for is fine. Unfortunately, you won't get far without a translator. Many of the temporary accomodations are leased out by agents and their understanding of English is hit-or-miss. Frankly, I had a friend negotiate for me.

I would start looking at ZhongGuanCun Residence and Zhongwan International. Both should be less than a 20 minute walk from her internship.

Thank you Sushee for the info.

I think you are mistaken about where she is going to be - I made the same mistake initially.

She will be way north, outside the Fifth Ring Road.  The ZPark (as I guess it is known) is at the Xierqi station on Line 13.

The places you gave me would be great if she were in "downtown" Zhonguancun but she is further out than that.  I would at least hope to find a place somewhere on Line 13.

Sigh - I guess we will keep looking.

Thanks again!

Mary