Renting in Beijing

Hello fellow expats,

My wife and I are relocating to BJ in a few months and would like to get some advice on renting in BJ. Based on our internet searches, it would appear that most apartments are furnished. We also read that most rent can be negotiated.

My questions are:

- how difficult is it to find unfurnished suites?
- how much can you negotiate on the rent? 5%, 10% off the listed price? (I assume you can't bargain like you do at the Silk Market..lol...or can you?)
- if an suite is furnished then can you request the landlord to rent it unfurnished at a discounted rate?

Any other suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Hello idubya and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope you'll soon get useful answers, in the meantime you could as well check out the Housing in Beijing section and post an advert. 

Thanks,

Francesca

It is rare to find an unfurnished apartment.

If the LL only has the one apartment that he is renting then he might be unwilling to remove the existing furniture because he has nowhere to store it.

Other LLs will be oblige but in most (all?) case the LL will not agree to a discount.

i.e if you find an unfurnished place and want him to add furniture the price will probably go up. Of you fins a furnished place and the furniture removed extremely unlikely that the price will go down.

Discount on asking price - hard to answer that. If you have a high budget and are working with a reputable agent then very little because the agent will have made sure that the asking price is logical. If you are trying to fly solo or using a less than reputable agent then you might get a decent discount because they put the price to let you bring it down and you will pay more than par for the course.

Thanks for the advice Manlin!!