Who to trust if renting accomodation in BJ ?

Who is the best company/person to trust when seeking accomodation to rent in BJ ? I would require a small apartment to rent on a 6 to 12 month basis in the city. Not too bothered where as long as near to the subway. I would need an English speaking contact as I have no Chinese ability at this time and I don't want to be ripped off. I know this is a broad subject and I am just trying to find out as much as I can.
Thank you

Dave hi,

me me me...just kidding I am too busy these days.

I know some reputable Estate Agents but most of them do not want to touch low budget rentals. Most of them are only interested in the above 8,000RMB/month bracket and prefer the above 20,000RMB/month bracket. You do not have to pay them because they work on a commission from the LL.

Alternatively I know people who provide concierge and hand-holding services who, for a fee, will be willing to be your "China eyes and China ear to ease your China fears"

Manlin wrote:

Dave hi,

me me me...just kidding I am too busy these days.

I know some reputable Estate Agents but most of them do not want to touch low budget rentals. Most of them are only interested in the above 8,000RMB/month bracket and prefer the above 20,000RMB/month bracket. You do not have to pay them because they work on a commission from the LL.

Alternatively I know people who provide concierge and hand-holding services who, for a fee, will be willing to be your "China eyes and China ear to ease your China fears"

Hi Manlin,

Would you be able to recommend some of these agents to me? I'm coming next month to hunt for an apartment and would like to work with a reputable agent. Also, do you know if I need to book appointments prior to arrival or should I contact them once I've arrived?

Thanks in advance!!

Idubya hi,

You can start the process from home by preparing a summary of yoru criteria and asking the Agents to prepare a list of potentially suitable housing options. Most of them will be happy to send you links with info about the various compounds but most (all?) will not include pictures of specific apartments since by the time you arrive the apartment may no longer be available:

You will have to supply them with the following type of info (I suggest to prevent being spammed) you do not answer these questions on-line.

Do you already know in which part of town you want to live?

Where is your office located, general area, no need to give full address? (This is to help find somewhere at a logical commute distance)

Which schoool will your children be attending? (This is for commute puproses and bus schedule purpose)

Do you prefer to live downtown or in the suburbs?

How many bedrooms do you need?

How many bathrooms do you need?

How many people will be living in the property?

Do you need to be near a subway station?

Will you need a parking place?

Will you be bringing a pet with you?

What is the desired rental term? (FYI 12 months is norm)

If longer than 12 months, is a diplomatic clause / break option needed?

Will you need an official tax invoice (aka fapiao - if a legally registerred Chinese entity /company is paying this is a must)

Will you want membership of the compound's clubhouse (the norm is yes)?

What is your available rental budget?

Hope this helps

very helpful info. thank you!!