Getting married in Poland

Hi all,

We invite all the ones who got married in Poland or who are about to get married in Poland to participate in this thread :)

What are the formalities to get married in Poland? Is it the same for a couple of foreigners of for a mixed couple (between a foreigner and a native of Poland)?

Are the procedures complicated?

How long does it take to carry out all the formalities?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Armand

Hello and congratulations! It doesn't take much time to get married in Poland - just 2 weeks. But there's much "papper work".

xxx
This may not help, but it is very true.

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Broken link

The above link gives a general overview though offers stereotypes.  Not every wedding is like that.

Regarding formalities, well, as a British person I can say that I needed a certificate of no impediment from my embassy.  I had to pay for that.  After that I needed to show that at the registry office (we had a civil wedding), together with my passport.

Regarding traditions, well, as I said, people have diverse weddings in Poland.  Ours included largely only vegetarian food, we provided wine and beer (no vodka), good music (rock and roll, metal, The Prodigy, rock) and as the group were not all from Wrocław we gave them a tour from the registry office to the rynek.  We had catering for the first course, but after that it was a buffet where everyone brought food and wine to share; this meant that we had really good food from many different countries and regions of Poland.  We told people to wear what they wanted; this meant that with the exception of one group people didn't wear suits and I include Polish people in the non-suit wearing people.

The wedding is yours, not your parents, so you can do what you want with your day.  Everyone really enjoyed how we did our wedding.

2 weeks? They say 1 month.