Current Job Market in Taipei

Hi Everybody!

I've been lurking around the forums for a while now, but want to know what the current job market is like in Taipei for English teaching.

Just a bit of a background, I plan on teaching English in Taipei for a year or two (I am not permanently moving to Taiwan), and have an undergrad and my Bachelor of Education (licensed teacher in Canada). I will be leaving for Taipei around mid-may 2012. I know that the market is not what it used to be, but I have been contemplating how easy it will be for me to find a job in Taipei.  I will be coming with a fair bit of money (~$5,000) and with my girlfriend who will be coming with around the same amount.  I have been told by many people not to sign a contract until I land in Taiwan, but reading about the lack of a market, it somewhat worries me that I won't find a job when I land.

So should I be worried, or am I just becoming a little bit more pessimistic the closer my departure is?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice! :thanks:

Also if anyone has any more help for a noob, I'd love to hear your input :D

Be worried as there is more supply than demand for English teachers in Taiwan especially Taipei.You might have a better chance in one of the smaller cities where expats prefer not to live/work. Signing a contract before coming..................not a smart move dude.

bobk49 wrote:

Be worried as there is more supply than demand for English teachers in Taiwan especially Taipei.You might have a better chance in one of the smaller cities where expats prefer not to live/work. Signing a contract before coming..................not a smart move dude.

Yeah I've heard that quite a bit that Taipei's market is not very strong.  I've debated about living in one of the smaller towns, but it doesn't really appeal to me or the girlfriend. I'm going over for the experience and I feel that it would be much better in a large city. I've lived in a small rural town my entire life and want a huge change lol. Plus neither of us speak a lick of Mandarin, and I hear its very difficult to get by and meet people in the smaller towns.  I do plan on learning a bit before hand, but just enough to get by.

Thanks for the advice about not signing a contact before hand.  That seems to be the common answer, but I've just been leery of coming over without one since the market is pretty weak.

I just hope that being a qualified teacher will help me in the poor market.

If anyone has anymore advice for a noob about to head over, I would love to hear it :D

Your welcome.I am sure you have surfed the net already about this subject but just in case you missed one probably the best school to connect with is Hess so check out their website.You can also join for free FORUMOSA which is a great website to all categories about Taiwan including teaching.Good Luck !

bobk49 wrote:

Your welcome.I am sure you have surfed the net already about this subject but just in case you missed one probably the best school to connect with is Hess so check out their website.You can also join for free FORUMOSA which is a great website to all categories about Taiwan including teaching.Good Luck !

Thanks again bob.  I have looked quite a bit at Hess, and they seem like a place I will for sure send a CV when I land.  I've also heard a lot of bad stories about them, but from what I can gather it seems like a location-to-location issue. Also for someone who is probably only staying for one year, I've been told Hess is a good bet. 

Also, I joined FORUMOSA about a 8 months ago. Amazing site and I have used it quite a bit.  Just wanna expand the forums I use for different viewpoints and advice.

Any more advice or input would be awesome :D