Guarani cutlure vs. Spanish culture

In another thread Mike. M asked: "Is there still a Guarani culture that is different than the Spanish culture? Or has it all melded into a Paraguayan culture?"

The answer to both questions is yes, oddly enough.

During the colonial era a mixture of Spanish and indigenous cultures flourished in a way that did not occur elsewhere in the Spanish colonies. The resulting Paraguayan culture truly is a mix of the two - the influence of an indigenous and rural culture is especially noticeable if you leave Asunción.

I feel compelled to point out that the Guaraní were/are not the only original inhabitants of Paraguay. There are about 20 different tribes or "etnias" which are usually broken down by linguistic families - Zamuco, Mataco, Maskoy, Guaicuru, and Guaraní.  I think the later was the largest (spread throughout latin america) and perhaps assimilated with the colonists because they werenŽt as bellicose as other tribes but that is probably a gross oversimplification. 

There are few "pure" Guarani indians left in Paraguay but their culture remains strong and present through the Guaraní language which is spoken by most Paraguayans to varying degrees. The Guaraní culture is truly encoded in the language - as it is a culture that developed in the wilderness many of the references and descriptions have to do with animal behavior. For example: someone who is hard headed and stubborn might be compared to a hard shelled beetle. These cultural nuances carry over into Spanish as well- many Paraguayan phrases or sayings in Spanish are direct translations from Guaraní.

Both Guaraní and Spanish languages are present in the lives of your average Paraguayan. There are a few indigenous communities who may speak no Spanish just as there are a few people (in urban areas) who speak no Guaraní. Most Paraguayans use both in a mixture known as Jopará - the further you go from urban areas the more Guaraní heavy that mixture becomes. In fact you do not have to venture far before you will find people who would rather just speak Guaraní, even though they can speak Spanish. 

So what was meant to be the short answer to your question is: Guaraní and (colonial)Spanish cultures did merge to form a Paraguayan culture wherein there is a strong Guaraní influence through the daily use of the Guaraní language (and Spanish that has been influenced by Guaraní).

If you are curious about Guaraní check out the "Guaraní School" posts on my Paraguay website - guidetoparaguay.com/labels/Guaran=C3=AD_School_-_Escuela_de_Guaran=C3=AD.html

or guidetoparaguay.com and select "Guaraní School" in the "read about" drop down menu on the right.

Enjoy!

Thank you very much for the essay.  It was very interesting. 

How Guarani is Concepcion?  Or Fuerte Olimpo?

I have read that the Guarani are a people of few words (they don't talk a lot!)   Do you think that is true?

Traditionally, Americans do not kiss upon meeting.  Usually Americans don't embrace or bow, just shake hands. 

In the hinterland do Guaranis observe the two-kiss custom?