Any one gotten into Farming in Paraguay???

Any one gotten into Farming in Paraguay???
I would be very interested in hearing your story.
Also, I am kinda interested in the idea of buying a farm and getting it farmed by someone else.  Is this common practice?
Thanks

Having a farm and let someone else manage it is very common here in PY. Also depends on what kind of farming you're thinking about...

What size of land are you looking for? What do you wanna grow? how much Capital?

I hope to put in maybe us$100,000 into land in PY.
I would figure to do buy in the eastern half as the chaco seems to rustic.
Thanks Nico for your response.

100k will get you a 15-40 Hectare parcel in southern Paraguay with some structure on it such as a house, barn, most likely a river, well, electricity, and maybe some primitive equipment. Paraguay is a very fertile country, as a matter of fact, you can pretty much grow everything here with exceptional results, but unfortunately the biggest cash crop down here is soy. More so than anything else, Paraguayans are not rich, and by necessity greedy, so long term cultivation doesn't make any sense to them.

For example, there is not a single mushroom farm that I know of in entire Paraguay and mushrooms are almost non existence here even though they sell well. Olives are the same.

The point is that if you want to farm here, you need to think outside of the box. Don't grow what everyone else is growing and you'll be successful. Market it right (marketing in modern sense hasn't made it to this country yet), grow it clean, and sell it locally.

Paraguay is a wonderful place and it has some of the nicest people you'll ever meet, but don't trust a soul down here when money is involved. The very pleasant farm keeper you hired 5 years ago WILL claim your land on adverse possession if you are not careful and there is nothing you can do about it.

If you are looking for long term investment, you can plant eucalyptus trees (extremely fast growing) or any other sub tropical timber and log it when mature. This will be the least work and most profit but it will take some time. However you can sell the same land after 5 years for considerable profit.

Buying real estate in South America is not as simple as buying in US or Canada. You gotta be here and watch over it like a hawk.

Cheers,

Chris

Another thing to mention is that everything is double to triple the price here; from clothes, cars, motorcycles, electronics, tools,... you name it. What are cheap here; produce, meat, sugar, terere and bus tickets. A good quart of oil will cost you $8 for mineral and up to $16 for synthetic. An oil change can set you back $60 USD.

Knowing that, plan accordingly if you are serious about farming, as a simple tractor will cost 3 times what you'd pay for in Canada. The good news is that you can import farm machinery and your day to day items for very low tax and shipping and you won't have to pay back-breaking property tax and income tax down here.

For example, 1 cubic meter of cargo on ocean freight will cost $450 to any port in Paraguay and will take two months (tax free). In one cubic meter, you can bring in thousands of dollars worth hand tools or electronics. I even buy my underwear back in US because buying quality here is only for the super rich. Even then, my underwear are cheaper to buy plus shipping from US than if I would try to buy the same brand or quality here. Just a heads up.

Hi Brandwach,

We have a little farm and someone who takes care of it,since we live near Asuncion, but we go at least once or twice a month to check it out. 

Do you have any experience with farming?  My husband was raised on one, so he knew something about it, which makes a big difference.  Of course, the farm for us isn't a business, not yet.  It's mainly for subsistence at the moment...and yes, it takes time...

We have known our caretaker for years, he's like a family member, but you still have to have this person sign some documents so they don't take away your farm one day!  And you must be present from time to time and develop a good relationship with your neighbors. 

Paraguay is not as cheap as most people think it is, but one thing that is still inexpensive is land and real estate in general (in comparison to Canada, for example). 

Have you ever been to Paraguay?  I strongly suggest coming here for at least 2-3 weeks to get a better idea of the situation and visiting some farmers to see what it's like here. 

Do you speak Spanish?  In the countryside most people will speak Guarani, even though the majority can speak or at least understand Spanish...My husband speaks guarani and it's a big advantage here. 

You can send me a private message if you need more specific information.

Julie aka lacanadiense

Hey, thank you all for your thoughtful replies.  Valuable to me and the rest of the community.
I have nearly zero experience with farming (gardening as a child is all).  I would want to do something where there would be little involvement (like tree farming).  I would be ok with lower ROI per annum in exchange for less involvement.  It would mainly be for storing wealth with the benefit of creating a little and getting more exposure to Ag. which I have little exposure to yet believe in enthusiastically.  Moreover, I am looking to internationalize assets as well.
I haven't been in PY, but I have spent time in Lat. Am.   I speak fluent Spanish and no Guarani.
Thanks and best to you all

In that case, look into timber production. It's cheap, almost no work, no pest or wildfire to destroy your trees and a very good return.

Hello Brandwach. If your idea is, as you stated, to internationalize assets and buy property which will produce moderate ROI, but which will appreciate in value over time, then I can give you some advice, as that is exactly what I did back in 2008. I bought two properties, a total of 6 hectares, with a small house in Atyra, about 40 minutes from Asuncion. I started a small farm with 7 milk cows, pigs and chickens. I also have 150 mango trees which bear fruit once a year. The farm was run by an employee, and the income from my milk production alone covered all expenses. The sale of pigs and mangos produced my modest profit, and I ate my own chicken, pork, beef, veggies, and fruit (as they were in season).
I now have a son, so I have liquidated the farm animals and equipment, moved to Asuncion, and have put all of my properties up for rent. All of them are producing a return of at least 15%, calculating initial purchase price and inprovements made since purchase.

If you do buy land, the Chaco can be a complicated place. I have been on a few hunting trips there, and stayed at a couple of ranches. If you have big money to invest, it might make sense for you. But it is far from Asuncion and parts of the Chaco are prone to drought, as they are experiencing now. I recommend buying in the states of Coordillera or Paraguari, as they are not too far from the capitol and are beautiful, but Independencia is also nice, and there are MANY beautiful places here in Paraguay.

good luck,
Mike

Hello,

I'm wondering if its legal to grow hemp in Paraguay? Industrial hemp that is. For textiles, fabrics, etc.

Also wondering what kind of flowers they grow there commercially?

Thanks.

S

Very cool responses. thanks!

Very informative. Thanks.

Great Topic as I am looking forward to living in Paraguay and make a small investment in farming. I've found some companies who offer to manage my investment in farmlands. Any ideas about the trustworthy companies?

I am an Egyptian citizen who works and lives in Kuwait. I am planning to move to Paraguay soon. i also do not know Spanish. Any advice?

Is there any wood chipping done in Paraguay?  Is there any available information on the timber industry . ? Are there many plantations and if so hard wood or soft ? Are there any incentives for plantation timber operations .

Thank you

maybe

@lacanadiense  Hiello, my name is Madeleine currently living in Michigan we would love to buy a small land in Paraguay
you mentioned it land is not cheap?  that would be terrible my dream is to have a small house with vegetable garden trees ans  some animals
not for consumption we are vegetarians, we just love animals.  I am absolutely tired of living In Ann Arbor Michigan :)  i would value your guidance regarding prices of land in Paraguay my mind is set in rural areas I like the  feeling of peaceful areas. I hope is not much trouble.xx

Warm regards,

Madeleine
Hello  Madeleine,

Your project is right. Make your self-sufficient ecofarm in Paraguay is an excellent idea. It is the best that you can presently make given the serious  coming world  events in may be a few months from now.

An advice : make your farm within a peaceful area close to a  group of serious settlers. In any case do not get isolated. This is a good advice valid  for all latin american countries.

Buying a common or separate  land between people of a foreign group of migrants is much cheaper because of a much better bargaining  ability with the locals. The price depends on the quality of the land, the number of hectares,  and how hard you want to bargain.

The common  interest is mutual help, common machinery use, mutual advices, solidarity , good neighborhood and security.

We are actually looking for buying a land for making a  self-sufficient eco-farm  and eco-tourism facilities.

If you are new in this activity, or want to know us since we know Paraguay quite well, please contact me in my inner box or  ***

Kind regards,  et peut-être à bientôt.

Jean
Moderated by Cheryl last year
Reason : No contact details on the forum please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi

Can i communicate with you via e mail

[link moderated]

Thanks

Hello davidkaraj,

Welcome to expat.com!

Do let us know how we can help you on the forum1f609.svg

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

Hello everyone,

Please note that some off-topic posts have been removed.

Thank you,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@lacanadiense I'm looking for farm land in Paraguay to do bees farming. Which region us best?

Hello Sesonchusis,

Welcome to expat.com!

Kindly note that the member lacanadiense is no longer active on the forum and so you will not receive any answer from him.

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

@lacanadiense I'm looking for farm land in Paraguay to do bees farming. Which region us best?
-@Sesonchusis

It's great for beekeeping. In Paraguay, something blooms all year round. The honey here is excellent. But the bees are mean.

@Sesonchusis Any region is good for bees. Except the Chaco. For housing, I recommend the Itapua region.

@brandwach stil have interest for farming in Paraguay?

Any one gotten into Farming in Paraguay???I would be very interested in hearing your story.Also, I am kinda interested in the idea of buying a farm and getting it farmed by someone else.  Is this common practice?Thanks

-@brandwach

still have interest for farming in Paraguay?

I grew up on a farm and attended an agricultural high school. I also had a small farm on which I kept dexter cows. When we first arrived in Paraguay we worked on a dairy farm in the Chaco, but had to give it up after 3 months due to lack of clean water, as well as arthritis in my hands. I would love to farm, but my age and health would probably not make it feasible.