Receiving mail in Paraguay

Do any of you have experience receiving mail from abroad? I'm talking about regular mail, not DHL, etc.
If somedbody just puts my home adress on it, I suspect it won't be delivered at this adress but will strand at the post office.
Do I need to request a post box at the post office?

Thanks!

Hello Pman,
you can check your CEP (postal code) and add that to your address, house number, neighbourhood and city

for Asuncion codes:  http://www.correoparaguayo.gov.py/docum … 31343580c0

for any other city:  http://www.correoparaguayo.gov.py/docum … 5da409d309

it should arrive safetly.  if it is a big parcel you would have to collect it from the postal office!

Best,

If you live in Asuncion or possibly other large cities like Cde del Este or Encarnacion you will possibly receive mail at your address if you have all the information as listed in the response by barrister_py.   I say "possibly" because over the last 25 years my wife and other family members have sent mail (letter size) from the US to her parents in Asuncion.  The parents have all the proper address information in an established neighborhood.   Reciept of letters run about 80%.  Packages close to 100% but you must pick up at the post office and they are always rifled through. The other 20% of letters end up in some black hole somewhere.  There are some barrio's within Asuncion that others have said is much lower if at all delivery rates.  Those folks just get post office boxes if they want to receive regular mail.  We live in San Bernardino.   Only about half the streets here in town are named and on those streets not named there are no house numbers so delivery will never happen.  Plus there isn't a post office here in town.   This is the norm outside of the 'big city'.  Most expats rely on US based mail forwarders for Paraguay like "Paraguaybox".  There's a few more too that give you an address in the US to mail to thru US mail (normally in Miami) and then they receive it and forward it via airmail to their facility(s) in Paraguay for you to pick up.  You pay by the kilo for delivery upon pick up.   As an example of the postal situation here, the national power company Ande delivers your monthly bill by courier who normally just drops it into your power meter box at the front of the house.  Most folks like us go down to the local office on the appropriate date to find out how much we owe and pay up, so we have to remember about every couple months to go out on the street and "clean out" our power meter box from all the old bills stuffed in there.