Brand named goods

Dear All

Often in life we get hooked on one brand of goods for one reason or another and although another brand can always be used as a substitute in general we would be happier with the brand we like. From living as an expat I have discovered two things in this regard, one,that making do really has to be your mantra and two,  the most unlikly establishments sometimes stock what you are looking for even when nowhere else in the city does.

This thread therefore is an opportunity to help each other out by posting up certain branded goods we are seeking and for fellow expats then to keep their eyes open and then post up a location where the item can be purchased (once found).

To start the ball rolling I am interested in two products.

1. Enfagrow baby milk powder
2. Yakult

I apologize in advance if these two particular branded products are widely availble in Tripoli but I am not in the country yet.

All the best

Gibraltar

Anyone know where to find BROWN sugar in Tripoli?

I found brown sugar once when I first arrived about a year ago and it was at this place:

There is quite a large supermarket on one of the major roads that directly links Gurji and Grgaresh.  If you are headed east on Gurji from Janzour into Tripoli you need to turn left at the intersection about 2 blocks before you reach the Gold's Gym that is on the right hand side of Gurji.  If you hit the gym, you have gone too far.  It is about 2 blocks west of the Medilink clinic if that helps any.  It has a bunch of children's rides out front of it and a soccer field next to it on the south side.  It is located on the right hand side of the road about half way between Gurji and Grgaresh.

That is the best I can do for directions. I have been back and not found brown sugar so it is touch and go.  Good luck.

Thanks - I know the place you mean, just never got round to going in there!

There's also a good butcher at the left side of the supermarket.

Guys,

I am buying brown sugar packs from Souk Al talat mall.
It's a brown box labled Sugar in the Raw, and contains 25 individual packets.

Expat Joe wrote:

Guys,

I am buying brown sugar packs from Souk Al talat mall.
It's a brown box labled Sugar in the Raw, and contains 25 individual packets.

Yeah I saw those teeny weeny packs....I was looking for bulk brown sugar, 1 or 2kg bags. Otherwise I'll be there all night opening them... ;)

Is there a filipino store or supermarket selling Filipino products...?

I'm not there yet, so I don't know if there is much molasses, but you could make your own brown sugar...

To 1 cup granulated sugar, add 2 Tablespoons molasses. Stir together until evenly mixed with a fork.

Sandman6 wrote:

Anyone know where to find BROWN sugar in Tripoli?

I was in the new supermarket in Palm City on Saterday and they had a range of brown and light brown sugar.

Sprocket wrote:

I was in the new supermarket in Palm City on Saterday and they had a range of brown and light brown sugar.

Is the Palm City complex open to mere mortals?

BTW I found brown sugar in Souk Tallat - that was a few months ago now though.

If you are not on the list you don't get in !! I can hook you up if you want.

Theiman wrote:

If you are not on the list you don't get in !! I can hook you up if you want.

Thanks - that would be useful

Had no problem getting in the Palm City, just drove up, told them I was going to the supermarket they took id number of my driver but that was it. Not a lot in the place yet only really went for a look as i was bored last saterday.

That's 'cause all the good stuff is held up in customs :(

Theiman wrote:

Anyone tried the overpriced lobster which is currently doing the rounds at many of the supermarkets?

Sandman6 wrote:
Theiman wrote:

Anyone tried the overpriced lobster which is currently doing the rounds at many of the supermarkets?

No, but they sometimes have lobster at the fish market restaurant area thing on the east side of town.  They seemed to be pretty good.

I have been told not to eat the "fresh fish" from the ocean as alot of it is caught out where the sewage pipes go into the sea (soon to be extended). PC supermarket is supposed to be bringing in fish from Italy when they get their act together. Still waiting on the cheeses too.

Do you know who advised that?

Just guys in the office whom have gone through extreme versions of "Tripoli Tummy", just something their doctors advised when commenting on thier diets. If the doctors 'aint eating it then I sure as hell am not ! Anything that comes out of that water I keep away from.

No sewage treatment here. Take a drive along the beach road in Gargaresh when the sea is calm, note the brown water. Also note the fishermen nearby. Yuk.

Theiman wrote:

I have been told not to eat the "fresh fish" from the ocean as alot of it is caught out where the sewage pipes go into the sea (soon to be extended). PC supermarket is supposed to be bringing in fish from Italy when they get their act together. Still waiting on the cheeses too.

I do not think lobsters or cold water fish would be available to catch where these pipes are.

Fishing boats do not go at the beach I think.

I am a frequent visitor to the ex-fishing place - fish restaurants ( called Alhofra ) I have never experienced any trouble.

Horizontal Harry wrote:

No sewage treatment here. Take a drive along the beach road in Gargaresh when the sea is calm, note the brown water. Also note the fishermen nearby. Yuk.

I'm well aware of the raw sewage.  They pipe raw sewage into the ocean in the USA, parts of Europe as well (big cities have treatment but not many of the small ones), Africa, India, Asia...  I've only seen a few people fishing the coast along Gargaresh, so I doubt much of that ends up at the market.  Not to mention, some of the fish at the market are generally not found in coastal waters. 

Like most things in life, be smart and you can usually avoid trouble.