ATM's in Tripoli

Here's a list of locations of ATM's (cash machines) which accept Visa and Mastercard. Please add to it as you find any new locations. It's rare to find a working ATM at the first attempt and they often only dispence in 10 LYD notes.

Km means distance out of town from smelly roundabout.

Grand Hotel (On Green Square: 2 machines in the foyer

Tuesday Market shopping centre: 1 machine on ground floor

Burj Al Fatah: 1 machine on ground floor

Garagresh Road km6: 1 machine at Aman bank opposite Shell

Gargaresh Road km2: 1 machine at Aman bank opposite old mental hospital

Regatta estate: 1 machine inside main gate

Gurgi Road: 1 machine at Aman bank HQ building just after 1st roundabout

Gargaresh Road km1: 1 machine in Wahat Centre (next to the building with the flying horses statues outside)

Another one:

Ben Ashour Street (Embassy district around Quadisya Square). ATM at branch of BNP Paribas on the right side of the street half way between Quad Square and the unfinished grey mosque.

This one has only recently been installed and isn't operational just yet.

Are there any ATM's inside Tripoli airport ? I will fly into Tripoli then onward to Mas Al Brega and dont know if there's any over there ( Still to get WP and arrange start date with SIRTE)

Yes - I passed thru the airport yesterday and noticed an ATM in the departures hall. It's on the left side, near to the check in desks. Takes Visa and MC.

I take it from the above post's that it is pretty much a cash only culture, not much switch / credit card usage?

Sprocket wrote:

I take it from the above post's that it is pretty much a cash only culture, not much switch / credit card usage?

Yep

Cards are accepted at the bigger hotels & by the airlines, otherwise pack a wad of the folding stuff ;)

Taking away "She Who Must Be Obeyed" cards is going to be a surgical procedure but has to be a money saver in the end:rolleyes:

More ATM machines spotted:

- Tower 1 ground floor of the 5 towers complex (can't remember the Libyan name)

- Corinthia Hotel

I think the towers complex may be called That El-Imad??? My husband works in a towers complex and this is the name on the mailing address.

justice4pal wrote:

I think the towers complex may be called That El-Imad??? My husband works in a towers complex and this is the name on the mailing address.

That's the place...

Hi, I will be possibly moving to Libya within few weeks. I really don't know anything about this country and it people so if you have any knowledge on this country please email me I would be very grateful.
Sincerely
John

John,

Best if you simply read through all these forum posts then ask specifica quetions.

Hi Guys

Do any of the ATMs take cards with only the PLUS symbol (not visa/mastercard)?

Best

Gibraltar

Gibraltar,

Although I have not been to all of those machines mentioned above, I have been to most and they do take PLUS cards. 

NB: I have heard reports of the That El-Imad machine eating cards for breakfast, (my husband works there as well Casey - are you SLB perhaps??).  We tend to avoid that machine at all costs.

The most reliable machine I've found is the Aman bank ATM in Tuesday Market. It also usually spits out 20's..

Sand and Laurieloo

I tried the Souq Thalatha ATM last week, no moola.  I'l be back tomorrow with fingers crossed.

Yes laurieloo, my husband is SLB.  Do you work here too?  If not, perhaps I'l meet you at the Caracol coffee shop tomorrow at 10:30 for the SSA coffee????

Casey,

No, I don't work.  I haven't really gotten into the SSA thing, (gave it a shot a while back and decided it was not my thing for a variety of reasons).  Hope you are enjoying it though and maybe we'll get a chance to meet in person one of these days - SLB can be a small world at times!

on gargaresh at the omega centre is where we usually draw money or further down by the police station..

laurieloo82 wrote:

Gibraltar,

Although I have not been to all of those machines mentioned above, I have been to most and they do take PLUS cards. 

NB: I have heard reports of the That El-Imad machine eating cards for breakfast, (my husband works there as well Casey - are you SLB perhaps??).  We tend to avoid that machine at all costs.

Cheers LL

Is there a fee charged for using the ATMs? or is it the daily rate?

Hi,

AMAN bank ATM network is best to withdraw money. It is connected to both VISA and MASTER network. Moreover, if you are Aman bank customer and during shopping or in restaurant, you run out of money, you can call their help line and they will send Mobile ATM bus to your location and you can get cash. Please make sure it happens between 0900 to 1500 Hrs ;)

If you are using ATM card and withdraw money from the same bank's ATM (from any location) there is no extra charges. But if you are customer of bank A and withdraw money from bank B, off curse there are some transaction charges. But again this can be only done with big 5 banks(Wahda, Sahara, NBC, NAB, Jumhoriya).

Riz