Psychiatrists in Khobar

Does anyone know of any female psychiatrists in Khobar who have a good reputation? Pricing?  (yeah yeah... think whatever u want... but after living here for 4 years I think it's about time I got a chance to rant)

it isn't embarrassing thing it is healthy thing to search something like that ... for me i don't know anyone for that field ... am new here in khobar since 4 months till now...and u r right anyone is staying here for long time need to talk with Psychiatrist or at least a real friend ... i think all ppl here need that bcs no social life here

Yep, this is the 3rd such question I saw on these blogs during the last 2-3 weeks. All of them scrolled down the blog with no responses.

lol so I guess there aren't any good psychiatrists out there... I kind of can't imagine any anyway... but yeah having no social life takes a toll on you... especially being far away from your friends and family =/

You hold a bachelors in psychology @winteryrose1984.
Curious: What next can make you a psychiatrist or psychologist? Also what's the difference between the 2?

ahhh actually that's why I now always tell people that if they are interested in majoring in psychology they should go ALL the way and get their PhD or else its pretty useless with just a bachelors degree... basically to be a psychiatrist you have to get your PhD in psychology because you will be able to prescribe medications and such and someone with a bachelor's wouldn't be cut up for that.

Also, for someone with a bachelor's degree job opportunities are limited. You can work as a school counselor or an assistant to a psychiatrist but there aren't THAT many options out there...

So I guess I need to go finish my masters AND PhD to be a qualified psychiatrist :) lol long way

There are loads, but I believe they have more of a medical approach than a personal one, the latter of which I take is what you want. You can still try asking them by calling them up.

I remember there being a reputed psychiatric ward in King Fahad's University Hospital. This is a pretty informative list I've found: drugsfreelist.com/hospitals_world.php?id=Psychiatric%20Consulting%20Clinic

Happy ranting (:

just go for it girl and get ur Phd, but yeh its true not too many psychiatrsists around ( I work in hospital). i wonder whats the incidence of depressive disorders in Saudi and there was a great psychiatry meeting in khobar, u should have attended.

winteryrose1984 wrote:

ahhh actually that's why I now always tell people that if they are interested in majoring in psychology they should go ALL the way and get their PhD or else its pretty useless with just a bachelors degree... basically to be a psychiatrist you have to get your PhD in psychology because you will be able to prescribe medications and such and someone with a bachelor's wouldn't be cut up for that.

Not correct.  First of all, psychologist and psychiatrist are 2 very different things, and require very different education.

Psychologist:  Has a PhD in psychology.  Think of him/her as a counselor.  Can NOT prescribe medication.  They can only listen to you and advise you (while you lie on the couch!).  To prescribe medication, one must be a medical doctor.

Psychiatrist:  This is a medical speciality.  In other words, one has to go to medical school first and get an MD (or MBBS), and then do a residency in psychiatry (and in the US, you need to get a Bachelor's before you get to medical school).  This is obviously, a lot tougher to accomplish (at least 12 years of difficult studying in the US, vs. 9 years for Psychologist).  Since a psychiatrist is a trained medical doctor, they can prescribe medication.

That's how it is legally, but of course, in this country, even pharmacists prescribe medicines, so I am sure psychologists do as well.

TheLegendLeads wrote:

You hold a bachelors in psychology @winteryrose1984.
Curious: What next can make you a psychiatrist or psychologist? Also what's the difference between the 2?

This answers your question too!

So finally after 2 long years of pending issue, we have finally got the answers !! ;)

HellI there and a good day to you.  I was Wondering if you found any good Psychiatrist that would prescribe medication, for example in my case like Xanax or clonazepam, which I have been taking for my social anxiety and all of a sudden I can't find anyone to help me. I wouldn't wish the with drawl symptoms on my worst enemy

HellI there and a good day to you.  I was Wondering if you found any good Psychiatrist that would prescribe medication, for example in my case like Xanax or clonazepam, which I have been taking for my social anxiety and all of a sudden I can't find anyone to help me. I wouldn't wish the with drawl symptoms on my worst enemy

Nevin, please go to a reputable chemist as they will be able to provide you with some (not all)  RSSI's and anti anxiety medicine.
Xanax is the trade name, so may need to ask for its generic name. Or even sertaline, which I think it's Zoloft?
Anyway.
Fluoxetine is another SSRI they could prescribe.
Your insurance may have a list of who you can contact for support or if no luck Bahrain has a mental health clinic in juffair, (can't remember the name )
Good luck

I genuinely appreciate your prompt and thoughtful response. Thank you so much for your kindness and tine. You must be an exceptional person.  I kike To do as much as I can, for as many people as I can, for as long as I can  And I was able to do that until this Predicament started. .

You mentioned a chemist, I'm not sure what you meant by that or where to find a chemist..... you don't mean a Pharmasist or a Psychiatrist do you? And yes indeed I do know fluoxetine which is also known as Prozac (  antidepressant) , and indeed I do know the generic name for Xanax which is Alprazolam. It would be great if they could prescribe it, the “ chemist” that is.

I just Hope that I'm able to even get up, dress up and not shake tomorrow.  If you know of a chemist I would Highly appreciate it. Thank you about the tip about Bahrain... I have Been doing research about that and the Aramco hospital as well.  But if You know of a chemist, or even clarify what you mean about a chemist or where to find one I would be forever in your debt.

.... this has to happen fast as hundreds of people are depending on me :(

Do you live in Saudi ? If it's ok , would I be Able to talk to you on the phone.  I'll give you my number just in case you would accept that.  If not, of course I would Understand. 

I would Like to quit, but not at this conjunction and especially since I'm away from my wife and I have A huge company to build.... its near to impossible to stop cold turkey and  prozac or fluoxetine is an antidepressant and it takes time to work, and initially makes you very tired and you have yawn attacks.

Finally, I'm really not depressed I'm just hooked onto this medication because I had social anxiety along time ago and my doctor kept on prescribing it to me. So I do take full responsibility, although I do wonder why the doctor didn't tell me how addictive this was. Anyway I thank you from the bottom of my heart
Honest to goodness. If we don't speak again I'd like to wish you all the best and God's speed

Again thank you Mrs Bear,

I dont Have Insurance and I am willing to pay out-of-pocket that's not a problem. But would it be a problem if I don't have insurance, meaning would they not prescribe me those kind of controlled medications because I don't have insurance? And I'm still not sure where to find the chemist,  that's  something very new to me. all I know is  pharmacists and doctors. I imagine that chemists  work in labs and then they just distribute the medication to pharmacies. so have you had experience in dealing with chemists and how to get to them here in Saudi Mrs Bear ?

Unfortunately, this is a problem in Saudi in the sense that there is a shortage of mental health professionals in the Kingdom - good ones.

The medicines are generally available over the counter.  However for some, pharmacists are at times reluctant to hand those out e.g. Xanax or Prozac.

Having said that, across the causeway in Bahrain, you have a lot of really good psychiatrists. My recommendation would be Dr. Eyad Jamsheer in Riffa who is Canadian qualified/experienced.  He has a website and you can book appointments online.   There are many others of course; the place mentioned in Juffair is Serene hospital but from word of mouth from friends, they are not that good.

Thank you very much for yor reply.... do you live in saudi as well ?
v or do you not want to say for privacy reasons ?

I work in Riyadh.  And live in Bahrain.   No privacy issues as such.

I see   I tried Calling Bahrain. I still Haven't found any one. Are you going to be in Saudi and I can Hitch a ride over the cause way ?  I'm a very nice person. I dont Bite. Any I think That's where the inappropriate question starts. That's how desperate I am  I cant Even see the phone to tell you the truth because of the head that has occurred. They are so horisblr to cut the meds off cold turkey.

Just search the recommendations I gave on Google. Get the number and call during working hours or book online. Good luck.

@XTang  Hi, can you bring psychotropic medicines like anti depressants, anti anxiety meds across the causeway with a simple prescription?

@Nevin12 can expats not employed with aramco go to the aramco hospital? Paying basis or something?

@XTang Hi, can you bring psychotropic medicines like anti depressants, anti anxiety meds across the causeway with a simple prescription?
-@ektarajoria

Yes.  Just don't carry huge quantities. 

@Nevin12 can expats not employed with aramco go to the aramco hospital? Paying basis or something?
-@ektarajoria

He hasn't been online in 4 years.