Maadi Sexual Harassment

Soy Adam wrote:

so sorry but what you are saying its not true>>

its fake>>>>>

Why and what reason is this FAKE !!!!!! who are you to say what I say is fake

I had a reply for the Ukrainian lady, but at that time, the topic was closed. I post it now, and I hope she is going to read it!

ukr.dev85 wrote:

Dear Valibilic, how did they help you? I am just curious! Did they turn back to you bag? While around us where that 4 gyus I run to the road to stop any car, which were passing us and could see what is going on (there were a lot), but NOBODY NOBODY stopped. Only, when gyus left us with my bag, ppl stopped and asked what happened. And only thing what they say in this situatin "Il hamdulallah" Is it help? People in Egypt, when they see some troubles happened to others, they just like to look at it. They need more only pop corn like in the cinema to have more fun!.

Really I was helped, but it was in my area where I live! They didn t bring my bag back, but could be worse than it was, think at this! The looters were riding a motorcycle and they pull my bag from the shoulder, I didn t let the bag " to go", so I was carried some meters and I was hurt.
Two men jumped in a Jeep, and me with them, trying to reach the looters. The rest was like in movies. I was shocked, the details don t matter too much. But even Egyptians are stolen, so this doesn t happen with foreigners only!
First , my advice, if you want to live long period here, you should learn little Arabic to communicate with people, other way, how could they understand your problem?
And try to respect their traditions, in fact it s not so bad to have more celebrations, and people around you, will appreciate this!
Even the pilgrims that landed in America 400 years ago were not very welcomed at that moment, but in one year time they got help to survive, they built a strong culture together with local people, and still they celebrate Thanksgiving Day. The situation with human beings hasn t changed too much since 1621, ANY NATION FIGHT TO SURVIVE THROUGH THEIR TRADITIONS AND CULTURE, and they keep at this aspect, it s something belongs to them!
We should learn something from them and they should learn something from us, so let s stop fighting and have a Thanksgiving Dinner together. For me, it s the first year when I have what to thank to this people, and I am proud of this!( by the way, it doesn t have anything n common with looters)

Guys

Chill please :)

Sxxx be sxx any & every where  & yes harassment here is an issue not just  for expats but for any girl/lady.

The zest of it is they don't think that they're doing anything wrong until you speak in arabic to them then they start to look in the ground.

I've faced it several times when I'm out with expat friends. they think its funny/cool whatever whereas my friends are really annoyed.

Its an issue & it annoys me too but what annoyed me more is that it seems to be on the rise which is very demeaning for the ladies.

Egyptian ladies are getting their fair share of it as per my friends as to how to deal with , move as fast as you can away from them & don't try to engage in talk unless you have an arabic speaking person with you & not recommended if you're not on a main road or out numbered.

These people really do give a bad impression I'm only sorry they don't get any punishment for that :(

It's true - there is no war between Christians and Muslims and it is blown out of proportion by the government and of course by the media.  Whatever strife does exist is exploited by the government - read army - to stay in power.  Mubarak also used the West's fear of extremism to the same effect.

In any case, both groups are oppressed and repressed, which is why this conversation is taking place.  Any time religion or moral values and behavior is legislated by the government you are going to have problems, because sexuality is not a moral issue.  It's biologic and personal.

As I said, I've been living here for years and am married since 2007 to an Egyptian man and I'm 50 years old and wear baggy clothes that are not at all sexy.  I am middle-aged and no super model.

And yet to walk the 10 minutes to Road 9 from my house is like a harassment battlefield.  I dare not walk by the schools (3 of them) because that's the worst of it, all those young boys saying shameful things that they may not even understand.  In broad daylight. Where did they learn this?
My husband and I are both appalled what is going on here.  It has never been this bad.

We are both considering leaving because  I no longer feel very safe.  I'm looking over my shoulder now - I never did that before. My husband has seen violence and harassment against women on the metro and from his car and now I can't walk home from the bus at night because it's not safe. Sometimes - many days actually - I don't even want to leave the house because of all it entails - the psychological gearing up for the constant attention and abuse.

This is my experience, and that of many of my friends and colleagues.  You cannot argue with it, especially if you are a man because you will never be in my position.  This is not an opinion, it is what happens to me every single day.

YOU WILL NEVER KNOW WHAT IT FEELS LIKE.

Egypt is not a good place for women right now, Christina or otherwise.

Let's hope everything gets back to normal the soonest! i am more worried about the elections later on this month!!

I want give an advice to people on something wrong that happens to me some days ago..
While I was in Maadi I saw an advertise "for rent flat" on a printed paper sticked  in a tree.
Well, my egyptian friend has called them, and one of these people told him that was just for foreign, for earn "some money" ,and they said that, in very suspicious way...
So be careful before to call anyone of those people...

lisaroscoe wrote:

...  My husband has seen violence and harassment against women on the metro and from his car...

So, to understand that he saw and he didn t do anything for stopping the looters? Just he watched ... like at the cinema, as you said people here watch? Or?
Finally he is Egyptian, and as a man he could have done something, I think!

valibilic wrote:
lisaroscoe wrote:

...  My husband has seen violence and harassment against women on the metro and from his car...

So, to understand that he saw and he didn t do anything for stopping the looters? Just he watched ... like at the cinema, as you said people here watch? Or?
Finally he is Egyptian, and as a man he could have done something, I think!

Very nasty comment.

First of a looter is a person who is stealing from a building/store/house during chaos or times of riot.  Usually when this occurs there are many people doing the looting and riot police are sent in.

Second, you are offensive in the extreme, and making suppositions about which you have zero information, making you sound ignorant.

So third, no, you absolutely do not understand. 

And you have no idea what he did or did not do, so perhaps before you disparage him with your sarcastic remarks you may want ruminate on that for a while and not demonize someone about whom you know nothing.

My supposition was done on your words , your husband " has seen violence and harassment against women" so you didn t say anything that he took an action, maybe I didn t understand, sorry for this.
Really, I didn t want to be rude, and please try to forgive anything bad that was done to you by my words, by thieves, tomorrow it s EID AL ADHA, and it s nice to be positive in thinking!
Happy Feast to all users!

hey gyus,
your talks give me a big problem because i'm living in Maadi with my boyfriend. And let me tell you that if anyone wants a rent with less price, the only solution is in Maadi. So tell me what can we do to escape this unsecurity situation?

boulote wrote:

And let me tell you that if anyone wants a rent with less price, the only solution is in Maadi.

All due respect but you are mistaken about Maadi being cheaper ! .... You can get an apartment in so many other modern, safe, expat-friendly neighborhoods for half or sometimes one fourth or fifth of what you are paying for in Maadi. IMHO Maadi is so overpriced because of so many reasons ...

hello i live in maadin in 9-srteet is so safe and there is a plenty of foreigners , Cafe 55 and costa in 9 street full of foreigners all the time but maybe you should be careful not especially in maadi but in any where thieves and stupid taxi drivers are everywhere

The increase of reported crime in Maadi and Cairo is just that....REPORTED crime, Cairo is still a very safe city in comparison to NY or London so let's not blow this out of proportion.
Since  the revolution people feel much free'r  talking about it, and whilst crime has increased it is the new found freedom of speech (although still very limited)) that is giving it the media coverage. (you must bear in mind it is in SCAFs interest to promote this instability so they can justify the emergency law being kept in place)
Previously some subjects were taboo and many still are...the fact that "Egypt has no homosexuals" for instance....well this shows you the mentality you are dealing with.
As for the sexual harassment ...it makes no difference what you wear, veiled or not females are seen as an easy target and fair game, speaking as an unveiled blonde expat I deal with it daily, generally by laughing in their face ......they really don't like a woman laughing at them and it makes me feel much more empowered.......being 6ft really helps too!!!!

irisheyesoncairo.wordpress.com

maireadhoey wrote:

The increase of reported crime in Maadi and Cairo is just that....REPORTED crime, Cairo is still a very safe city in comparison to NY or London so let's not blow this out of proportion.
Since  the revolution people feel much free'r  talking about it, and whilst crime has increased it is the new found freedom of speech (although still very limited)) that is giving it the media coverage. (you must bear in mind it is in SCAFs interest to promote this instability so they can justify the emergency law being kept in place)
Previously some subjects were taboo and many still are...the fact that "Egypt has no homosexuals" for instance....well this shows you the mentality you are dealing with.
As for the sexual harassment ...it makes no difference what you wear, veiled or not females are seen as an easy target and fair game, speaking as an unveiled blonde expat I deal with it daily, generally by laughing in their face ......they really don't like a woman laughing at them and it makes me feel much more empowered.......being 6ft really helps too!!!!

irisheyesoncairo.wordpress.com

:one

You really impressed me by your opinion, thank you for sharing this here, have a great day:):):)

really i get very sad when i wrote the above, but belive me all this situation is new for the Egyptian, the thiefs and bad guys living there golden time here now.
not only the expat people in Egypt are suffering from this situation the Egyptian also are suffering, we can't live in peace unfortainatly like last days before the revolution.

i used to travel a lot between Egyptian cities pathing through any road any way, now i can't

scorpmoh123 wrote:

really i get very sad when i wrote the above, but belive me all this situation is new for the Egyptian, the thiefs and bad guys living there golden time here now.
not only the expat people in Egypt are suffering from this situation the Egyptian also are suffering, we can't live in peace unfortainatly like last days before the revolution.

i used to travel a lot between Egyptian cities pathing through any road any way, now i can't

I beg to differ with your view of the current state of security ...... During the last six month I have traveled by car to A- Ain Sokhna, B- Hurghada (twice) , C- Sharm El Sheikh (twice), D- Northern Coast ...... sometimes driving even in late hours and at night ...... It is perfectly safe ..... Accidents and thefts happen and they have been happening for years before the revolution .... The only thing that has changed is reporting ...

Remember, media and press are still owned/managed by ex-regimen loyalists .... They keep on "magnifying" everything to make us regret what we have done and wish for the regimen to come back.......

totally agree you
:top:

The Egyptian wrote:
scorpmoh123 wrote:

I beg to differ with your view of the current state of security ...... During the last six month I have traveled by car to A- Ain Sokhna, B- Hurghada (twice) , C- Sharm El Sheikh (twice), D- Northern Coast ...... sometimes driving even in late hours and at night ...... It is perfectly safe ..... Accidents and thefts happen and they have been happening for years before the revolution .... The only thing that has changed is reporting ...

Remember, media and press are still owned/managed by ex-regimen loyalists .... They keep on "magnifying" everything to make us regret what we have done and wish for the regimen to come back.......

and I dare anyone to tell me that during the Mubarak era (or pre-revolution era) sexual harassment was non-existent ....

Bonus Hint : Remember the downtown incident during Eid couple of years ago?

:top:

The Egyptian wrote:

and I dare anyone to tell me that during the Mubarak era (or pre-revolution era) sexual harassment was non-existent ....

Bonus Hint : Remember the downtown incident during Eid couple of years ago?

The Egyptian wrote:
scorpmoh123 wrote:

kalamak meya meya ya Ahmed, I agreeee

Y30 wrote:

Guys

Chill please :)

Scum be scum any & every where  & yes harassment here is an issue not just  for expats but for any girl/lady.

The zest of it is they don't think that they're doing anything wrong until you speak in arabic to them then they start to look in the ground.

I've faced it several times when I'm out with expat friends. they think its funny/cool whatever whereas my friends are really annoyed.

Its an issue & it annoys me too but what annoyed me more is that it seems to be on the rise which is very demeaning for the ladies.

Egyptian ladies are getting their fair share of it as per my friends as to how to deal with , move as fast as you can away from them & don't try to engage in talk unless you have an arabic speaking person with you & not recommended if you're not on a main road or out numbered.

These people really do give a bad impression I'm only sorry they don't get any punishment for that :(

:thanks: as ever, the voice of sensible Y30 speaks :D If only more Egyptian men were like you ;) (no offence to anyone here)

Downtown - Zamalk- El Dokki - Abdeen is the best safe classy places that u could live at in Cairo , ofcourse there is more , but those locations is around the center of the city and its easy-go for most important locations/sites

Its tough to pin point any specific area and commment on its safety. With the security appAratus in Cairo city and the country at large being lax...there are people who will take advantage of such a situation.
I was robbed in broad daylight @9.00 am on the street a couple of months back, my bag was snatched by a guy driving in a car as I was walking down the street. Needless to say that I was due to travel back to India on a vacation the very next day and I had my passport in my bag. Gone with it were my laptop and also foreign currency. This could have happened anywhere and in any other country too. However it was hard for me to digest the loss because I had till then, considered Cairo to be a very safe city.....learnt my lesson the hard way...!!

Just that we have to be cautious and alert all the time.
Simple things like walking with the bag held safely and not on the side the traffic passes by you and walking against the traffic.....

STAY SAFE PEOPLE....

Xaviar wrote:

Downtown - Zamalk- El Dokki - Abdeen is the best safe classy places that u could live at in Cairo , ofcourse there is more , but those locations is around the center of the city and its easy-go for most important locations/sites

" The best areas" are the best attractions for thieves! They don t steal in their areas, they " operate" in other ones.
Some tips for protecting yourself of being stolen, and big " loses":

*Don t carry with you the passport( or other important documents ), only a photocopy of it, and if you really need it, place it in a secure pocket inside your coat.

*Take with you just strict amount of money, and don t keep them in the handbag.

*In the street, use a " hands free" for talking by phone. Don t keep your mobile phone in your hand or in your handbag.

*No matter it is day time, or night time, avoid streets and areas where are no people in the street.

You could give some more tips for personal protection if you know.

Xaviar wrote:

At the moment Downtown - Abdeen are not safe at all! Due to the protests in the area.

solydeep wrote:

well am glad that finally people started to admit it.. maaddi is not safe nor clean.. the best place to live in whole cairo now is rehab city a closed compound which is a huge compound close to most of schools which r almost all in new cairo and very safe surrounded by security every where full of gardens the best place to have a pet.. new extensions has been opened recently inside the compound more quieter areas n more private. i used to live there then moved and was wishing to come back n now i just love it more.

actually Rehab City isn't that bad comparing to others, even if the crime level is high nowadays regarding that the police is trying to control the gates after the big shooting day in rehab with the man who was said,he is a terror adding the some flats were stolen in some accidents, but still Rehab is clean and safe and at least its a closed compound! i used to live there and i liked it and now i go to Madinaty and it is starting to be much better than Rehab.

be safe!

I personally thank you for the warning....

I believe you, cuz i've been harassed too, and exactly did respect the dress code and i agree that u can't control who is going to approach u... However i understand people defending their own country, but when something happens u can't really pretend nothing is wrong....

I too experienced crime. I was standing on Port Said with my phone waiting for Uber, who kept getting lost. I wasn't really paying attention to my surroundings because I was on my phone trying to see where the driver was. Along came two guys on a motorcycle, they slowed down, and the guy on the back seat reached out to grab my phone from my hands. Luckily I had a tight grip and he's fingers slipped and he couldn't take my phone.  But it was an harrowing experience because of the bold brazen way they tried to do it.  After that, I went back to my apartment and stayed put. I really scaled back my activities for this trip.

I've visited Masr a lot. And I can say now, there are a lot changes in people. Generally people aren't happy, I noticed. Also, I hear there's an influx of Syrian refugees so I'm sensing the sentiment has changed and people do not like foreigners.

I'm leaving back for the states tomorrow and do not plan to visit Masr again.