Opening a bank account in Sweden

Hi all,

is it difficult for expats to open a bank account in Sweden ?

Which documents are required to open a bank account in Sweden ?

How long does it take to open it ?

Is there any restriction for expats regarding the services (loans for instance)  ?

Which bank would you recommend ?

Thanks in advance for your participation,

Julien

if you are registred in sweden and got a swedish personal number then you can go to which bank you want and they will open an account in 5 min, to get credit cards you need to show that you are working. The 4 biggest banks in Sweden are Nordea, SEB, Swedbank and Handelsbanken. It doesn't really mather which you take, I prefer SEB and then of course you have a bunch of smaler banks. If you take one of the four you can alway be sure that you find a bank office reprecented in almost all cities/towns if you need to make a visit. Most people do all there banktransactions through internet/phone nowadays. Haven't visit a bank office for year now :-)

Hi Katja_in_Zurich!

Thanks a lot for your help ;)

Regards
Armand

This is useful info. thanks!

I found that it is impossible to open a bank account in Sweden. They would not open an account unless I could show that I was receiving regular income of some kind in Sweden. I wish I had kept an account open when I moved, because now apparently there is no way for me to have a Swedish bank account.