Buying a motorbike in PP

I am interested in buying a motorbike. Should I go new or used? I would like to spend $1000 to $2000.  I am an inexperienced rider, so what do I need to consider with regard to features, size of engine, etc. Where are there reputable dealers who won't rip me off when they see I don't know much about bikes?

I was in your shoes when I first got to Cambodia. The first thing I did was to rent a moto. I rented by the month, cost me $80/mo. The moto they gave me was a Honda Dream. If you look around, you may notice that there are a lot of Honda Dreams on the streets of Cambodia. They are the clear favorite! They can be repaired on every street in the country, parts are easily available. They are very dependable also. I looked in Sihanoukville for a used one, with no success. You may have better luck in PP! I would try to find one no older than 2008. My new Honda Dream is a 2011, it cost me $1800, brand new from the local Honda dealer. I also got insurance for the bike from Caminco, $37 a year.Well worth the small money. Also, but a good bike lock! I keep my moto inside my shophouse!
Feel free to contact me for more info.

Hi MadMax

Also coming to Cambodia in a month or so.... but I am looking for a dirt bike. Looking in bongthom I find them pretty expensive though. Is this the norm?

I have a dream about me, my dirt bike and my camera on the road through Cambodia (I am in the tourist industry). Would it be better value buying a moped and renting the dirt bike when going on the road?

You have any connection in Phnom Penh where you can shop around for a dirt bike?

Thanks

I would reccommend that you buy a moto, preferably a Honda. They are the most common moto, best liked, easy to repair, parts available everywhere in Cambodia. Try Flying Bikes for dirt bikes, also some of the bike shops around the Russian Market have dirt bikes. I don't know about renting one, but may be possible.
Dirt bikes are seen daily in most places here. There is an issue with parts and repairs, so if you're not a good mechanic, you may have problems out on the road.
Good luck on your trip!

Hi everyone, I need some advices too.
I'm renting 110' and 125' for months now at lucky lucky so it's time I consider to buy something.
I was thinking about a 2nd hand 250cc, but not a dirt bike, something easy to ride in Phnom Penh, I'm kind of newbie.
What kind of second hand 250cc must I considerer? How much? Where to look for, to buy?
HELP PLEASE !

krtaylor wrote:

I am interested in buying a motorbike. Should I go new or used? I would like to spend $1000 to $2000.  I am an inexperienced rider, so what do I need to consider with regard to features, size of engine, etc. Where are there reputable dealers who won't rip me off when they see I don't know much about bikes?

If you are looking for this motorbike, please don't hesitate to contact me! I am an expert in this transaction.
My profession is in NighHork, AX, SL or other big motor....etc
For more info, please send to my mail: [email protected]!

suzuki sells them at 1300 N honda at 2000 :D

I am inexperienced driver too and got myself an inexpensive honda scoopy crea bike 50cc but its more of fashion bike previously.

I'm seriously considering relocating to Cambodia. If that comes about I would prefer a Dirtbike over a Moto. Although I'm very experienced at both are there any clubs/groups that like to go riding over the country side?

Hello,

I am from Malaysia and i will be working in
Phnom Penh soon after the grand election 2013.
I am looking to buy a big bike of 250cc or 600cc above,
but i dont know the process of owning it in Cambodia.

i have a few questions:-
let say if i found a bike to buy from the local dealer:

1.What is "full tax" and "paper tax" if there is such a term? How to choose between them?
2.What other cost involved other than paying for just the motorbike and the tax?

Tru

Difficult to say... they sometimes use different words to say things.

What I know:

You will have to pay a road tax...
Not expensive for the moyos (should be around 5$ a year... 300$ for my car :( ).

What they csll "paprr tax" means that the moto doesn't have a plate number yet... you will have to do it... I don't know how much for this kind of moto.
Full tax maybe the opposite. .. but I am not sure...

Make it easy and just ask if this moto has plate number or no.

Hi guys I live in siem reap and have found a little honda I like on road six, most definitely second hand but has no number plate. Is this a bad sign the bike might be stolen will I have to wait until I try and register a plate (at the police station I was told, as strange as that sounds) before finding out if it is stolen/ not genuine?

Thanks guys going to have another look at it tomorrow..what should I look for in the documents to help assure me it's genuine ?

Any help would be lovely :)