Guangzhou/Foshan

Hey everyone.

I recently landed at Guangzhou & am currently living in Shishan about 40 mins drive out. Would love to know of any hotspots in the city or if there is anything worth making a trip in for.

Likewise, if there is anything in my area I'd like to know about that also.

Many thanks!

Guangzhou:
A. If you are interested in old buildings, e.g. traditional Cantonese buildings, pay a visit to Shamian (near Huangsha Metro Station) or Shuqian Road (near Dongshankou Metro Station) or Xiguan (near Changshou Road Metro Station). The Chen Clan Academy is a hotspot. Now you can admire the exterior of those old buildings in the academy and buy souvenirs inside.

B. If you are interested in shopping, go to TeeMall (above Tiyuxi Road Metro Station), Beijing Road (near Gongyuanqian Metro Station), Nonglinxia Road (near Dongshankou Metro Station) and Zhonghua Guangchang or something like China Mall by transliteration (above Lieshilingyuan or Martyr's Park Metro Station).

C. If you want to visit a religious place, there are Guangxiao Temple (near Ximenkou Metro Station) and two churches, with one located near Shuqian Road and the other one probably in Shamian. You may also find a church in Yide Road or somewhere else.

D. If you are into woods and plants, Luhu Road and Baiyun Mountain can be good choices.

F. Traditional food can be found in many places like Xiguan and Shuqian Road.

Foshan:
A. Foshan Zumiao (Ancestral) Temple;
B. Ancient Nanfeng Kiln;
C. Xiqiao Mountain;
D. Qinghui Garden.

Also, it should be noted that among four famous historic 'gardens' in Guangdong, three are located in Guangzhou and Foshan. Many of these 'gardens' are actually picturesque villas left by former government officials in the Ming or Qing Dynasty or sometime earlier or later. These four gardens include Qinghui Garden in Shunde, Liang Garden in Chancheng District of Foshan, Yuyin Mount Garden in Panyu and Keyuan Garden in Dongguan.

For other information and interesting sites, you can visit the web site of Lonely Planet (lonelyplanet.com/china/guangdong/guangzhou), or Travel China Guide (travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/guangdong).

Thank you for the detailed information! I want to see it all!

The first response does sum things up well. For a longer trip, I like Yangshou. You'd go when you've got a 4 or 5 days. It's written up in Lonely Planet. It is tourist friendly with lots of restaurants and bars. But more than that there's the famous Li River and there are plenty of river raft rides (peaceful, not white water). There are good routes for bike rides among the mountains and rock climbing.

That sounds pretty awesome. Love riding. Thank you !!

OH,COOL,I WILL BE YANGSHUO THIS MID-MONTH

SKsogang wrote:

The first response does sum things up well. For a longer trip, I like Yangshou. You'd go when you've got a 4 or 5 days. It's written up in Lonely Planet. It is tourist friendly with lots of restaurants and bars. But more than that there's the famous Li River and there are plenty of river raft rides (peaceful, not white water). There are good routes for bike rides among the mountains and rock climbing.