New U.S Expat Air Force Veteran in Guangzhou

Hi everyone
I moved to Guangzhou in March 2011 and I am living near Tiang He District in Guangzhou. If anyone needs any information I am happy to help research or offer advice.

Welcome to Expat.com AirForceVet :)

What's it like socializing there? Do you speak Mandarin?  Do a lot of people speak English?  Or do most of the people speak Mandarin and are shy to/ avoid speaking English.

Hello Hyap
I speak about 10% mmandarin but 0% cantonese and that is what is spoken here. About socialization; everyone in China speaks mandarin. Where I am the peoples here speak cantonese and some english but not most. I am living in Sihui which is north of guangzhou past foshan. In Guangzhou people speak english and the closer you get to hong kong the more english is spoken. If a person here speaks english and they find out you speak english they will want to test it out even if its only "What color is my jacket" cantonese people are very friendly.
Hope that helps

Thanks for the info!

Any time. I am learning alot here, if you have any more questions feel free to ask. Be safe

Corey and Jie

hi ,i am near tianhe,i can speak cantonese ,mandarin and a little english ,maybe be i can help you ,i am very friendly and kindhearted