Public transportation in Ho Chi Minh City

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in Ho Chi Minh City ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed?
What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in Ho Chi Minh City?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Bus fare within the city is 4,ooo vietnam dong which is about 25 cents.You can get 1 ticket stub which is about 30 tickets.Its worth 90,000vnd and one can use it until Dec.31. This ticket is cheaper than paying the conductor every time you ride a bus. Most of the buses start operating at 6am and ends at 7:30pm.For tourist who wants to experience riding the local bus, they can go to Ben Thanh Bus Station which is across the famous Ben Thanh Market. From there, they can ask for map with listing of buses. Bus 152 goes to the International Airport, Bus 11 to Damsen Park, Bus 1 to China Town. Most of the locals prefers to drive their motorbike around which made Vietnam as Motorbike Capital of the World.I hope this information can help.

I have not rode on the public bus here in HCM City. But they are the best value in town if you are looking for public transportation.

Most of the locals, tourists, and expats utilize the taxis here. Vinasun and Mai Linh are the common and (if you ask me) the most reliable taxis to take especially if you are a foreigner. The other taxis like Air Taxis and brands I did not mention, I would not recommend; reason being they can literally take you for a ride around town and try to make the most of naive foreigners. My best advice is be cautious especially from "fake" Mai Linh taxies.

A taxi ride normally wouldn't not be more than 100,000 VND for your average (long distance). One example is the fare from the Airport to Saigon Pearl is about 140,000 VND and that's a distance drive.

If you like, you can take the motorbike taxis (xe om). They are usually sitting at corners or sides of the streets on their motorbike in plain clothing. The fare is usually half the price of an actual taxi. If you are a local the fare is definitely less than half. Just make sure to negotiate the fare ahead of time before you ride.
I've had a bad experience with one motorbike taxi where he absolutely did not know where the destination was. That made me late for an appointment and I gave if less than what it probably was, but I yelled at him that it was his fault for not knowing where to go and taking me a ride all over town. I smile and shake his hand whenever I see him, but told him I would never use his service again.

All the listed services above is safe. I have never gotten in any accidents.

It's funny, with the crazy style of traffic here in HCM City, I've seen far less accidents here than I ever saw living in Los Angeles and Orange County, California on any single day.

Hi Armand,
I agreed with Phi Long about using public transportation not in HCM, but in other province aslo.
For safer, you should write down clearly the place you want to go and give to driver to make sure he understanding you well
Some taxi or motobike taxi driver can speak a little English, you should keep contact with them (ask their mobil phone and send sms to them whenever you want to go anywhere). It might work and safe your time to explain with new guy.
Hope it's useful.
Jo.