Social Security Remittance

Hello!  My husband & I are planning to retire in Colombia, either in Manizales, Armenia, or Pereira.  Therefore, what is the best way to remit Social Security from the US? 

Thank you very much for any advice.

Maria

I have a US bank account which my SS is deposited in and use Western Union to  send myself cash

@kmarilor I would suggest that if you keep a US bank account, you simply have your social security deposited directly into that each month.   That is what I do and it seems to have less problems that having it sent to a bank account in Colombia.

While many will say they have never had a problem with getting theirs to deposit directly into an account in Colombia, you are just adding one more layer of governmental process.  I have known several people that have had issues with this in the past, tho of course your case may be different. 

The next thing I would suggest is to withdraw your social security from your US bank account via the ATM to get the best exchange rate and only do that when needed.   When asked at the AMT to accept the exchange rate, always decline and you will get the best the exchange rate.   If you get a Capital One or Charles Schwab debit card, you will not be charged the ATM fees and that will save you even more.

Hope that helps... 

@KirkVan

There are many much better ways to send money than WU. Just saying.

lpd

@KirkVan
There are many much better ways to send money than WU. Just saying.

lpd

-@Lpdiver

Seconded. Western Union is probably one of, if not THE, worst ways to send money abroad. Try Remitly, WorldRemit, and Ria Money Transfer.

Hi .. I have been using TD banks basic cheking account in the states for their low monthly fees, for the last 4 years.

I have a savings account at Bancolombia, into which I transfer funds from TD via Remitly, which, I have found, gives me the best rates aming competitors like WU. Its a simple and reliable bank to bank transfer, just follow the easy steps that Remitly indicates.

You can access them thru this link

[link moderated]

The process works smoothly, but Bancolombia has a yearly limit on the amount you can transfer at $28000 dollars..talk to them in the states here.. 8***

I have gone over that limit, but each time you have to contact them and go thru a doc submission process that may take a couple days...+5***

Good luck.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 months ago
Reason : Please share contact details in private.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

For what it is worth I have my SS deposited into my Charles Schwab account then use a combination of ATM withdrawals with my Charles Schwab debit card (good exchange rates and free) and also use Xoom to transfer from my Charles Schwab to my Bancolombia account.

Been satisfied all in all.

@kmarilorOne

If you like climbing up and down Manizales is pretty decent BUT your nieghbors to one of the most active volcanos in the Pacific Rim .

Periera has a lot of shopping plazas but it has what i would call an excellerated

pace of living everyone is always in a hurry to go to ?

Armenia is much more laid back i have visited the city a number of times in the almost fifteen years i have have lived in Colombia and the people there seem more laid back than in many of the places my wife and i have visited over the years .

Your other option is Medellin there are a number of Americans living there and they interact quiye alot .

Dont use Western Union. you lose a ton in fees and exchange rates. wire transfer some up to your annual limit. If you go back home bring a ton of cash back with you but make sure to declare it before your flight.

Also, I live in Bogota. The expat community is smaller than Medellin but is still nice. The weather isnt as nice either.  But, there is great history and culture and so much more to do. It is less spread out and is much more walkable IMHO. The cost of living is also measurably less.

There are nearby towns like La Calera that have a laid back lifestyle but are within easy distance of all the culture.