Visa Runs By Bus: Da Nang to Lao Bao Border Checkpoint

To help newcomers understand time requirements (and without specifically advertising anyone) one of the main agents in the Đà Nẵng/Hội An area has adjusted their BUS schedule to make the visa run to & from Laos as fast as possible:

They now leave Đà Nẵng (Nam Việt Á) at 5:45 AM and return by about 3 PM.

9 hours & 15 minutes sounds very long, but previous schedules were about 11 hours total.

They cut out a restaurant stop and substituted a grocery store snack stop, and still manage some toilet/smoke breaks.

Pickup in Hội An is 5:15 AM with return at about 3:30 PM: approximately 10 hours & 15 minutes; an improvement over previous schedules that sometimes totalled 12 hours or longer

Many people who tried to stay here on 30 day visas couldn't stand those visa runs once a month, so they've left Việt Nam.

Since 90 day visas are now available, the strain shouldn't be as bad on people having to do a Visa run only once every 3 months.

A number of my friends here have been opting to take relatively in-expensive flights nonstop to Thailand.

The smart ones (IMO) are choosing to do three-day mini vacations there before turning around and returning to VN.

The old saying "forewarned is forearmed" hopefully applies here.

The fewer surprises you experience on arrival, the better your experience can be.

It's definitely possible to go faster by private car or motorbike.

@OceanBeach92107

Good info there, OB. Very valuable for the newcomers.

Thought I'd add a link to the official Gov't of Laos site regarding acceptance of Visa on Arrival or eVisa when crossing from Vietnam. VOA is available at Lao Bao. One cannot use a Laos eVisa there.

All of the other seven land crossings from VN to Laos require an in-passport visa, issued at Laos embassy or consulate.(officially, no VOA nor eVisa is accepted).

Didn't want people showing up at any of the other VN to Laos border crossings, only to be turned away by Laos immigration officers, and being surprised/disappointed.

List of All International Checkpoints and status of Visa On Arrival and eVisa (Link to immigration.gov.la)

A sign of the times update:

The main visa agency in the greater Đà Nẵng region has reduced their schedule to only two limousine busses per week, plus providing private individual transportation 7 days a week. 

There are probably a number of valid ways to read these tea leaves, realizing that most people only need to do a border run every 90 days now.

But if you talk with restaurant owners, entertainment venues and lodging landlords, they will reluctantly confirm that they haven't seen the increase in tourist traffic hoped for following the recent change in visa laws.

In addition, September has been quickly transitioning into rainy season here, so it's no surprise that demand for all things is down.

The agency has also adjusted morning departure time from Đà Nẵng back to 6:30 AM, since the major construction project on the AH16 Highway has been completed to the point that traffic doesn't usually get halted there anymore (I think the blasting phase has been completed).

There are still a few places where traffic is often slow, but those don't cause the headaches that people were experiencing at the major expansion site.

Based on online chatter, many people have been considering Đà Nẵng for Autumn & Winter vacations, but are instead choosing places further south; Nha Trang, Phan Thiết & Vũng Tàu among their alternate choices.

As for me and my wife, our new home is far from the foreigner-friendly areas of Đà Nẵng, so I doubt any of this will impact us much.

Growing up in 92107, I always enjoyed getting up very early and heading to the beach while the shore and the pier were socked in with the "marine layer" that local newscasters avoid calling "fog".

Turns out there are many long-term expats who actually enjoy life in Đà Nẵng when skies turn gloomy and temps drop...

1000017739-01.jpeg