Accomodation or jobsearching

hi everybody..me and my girlfriend moving to Malta,so if anyone has any suggestions about accomodation or jobsearching, would be very helpful

Cheers

George

Hi George,

Welcome to the forum.

Check out previous posts under the 'accomodation' and ' work' sections. You will find a lot of information and the answers you are looking for.

What work are you looking for? There are many positions for qualified employees in finance, IT and accounting.

Regards
Ricky

Welcome to Expat.com George! Your topic has been introduced as a new thread on the Malta forum. Good luck

Hi George,

If you are looking for jobs may I suggest Vacancy Centre - vacancycentre.com. For accomodation, are you looking to buy or rent?

Diane

Hi George,

You should also look at the ETC (Employment and Training) website and register with them when you are here.

They also have a more complete list of employment agencies:

http://www.etc.gov.mt/docs/Recruitment% … 11.xls.pdf

The more the merrier as it can be difficult finding the right job. A lot depends on your qualification and skills.

You will also find some listings in the Expat-blog Business directory.

You should also check out the timesofmalta.com for job offers, in particular the print adds in the Sunday edition.

I wish you luck
Ricky

thank you for the information..any suggestions about malta areas to search for a flat /room and prices?

and what do you think is better way to get a job there? search through the internet before relocate or simply come there and look for a job?

Hi,

I have a lot of information on job sites and renting on my blog joeandharryabroad.wordpress.com

There is a links page or you can click 'renting info' on the left hand side list which will give information of who I used, the processed, prices and any problems I encountered.

Personally I think it's best to get out here then really start job hunting but you should definitely get your CV to recruitment agents before you come. Arranging interviews and second interviews will be hard though if you're not here and employers might not want to worry about a relocation package and opt for someone who is already here.

Best of luck!

actually we are looking for customer service , insurance , travel or languages related positions,since our experience is that kind.

i am a native greek speaker with fluent english and my girlfriend is a native lithuanian speaker,speaking fluent english,greek and russian.we would appreciate any suggestions))

Have a nice day!

Definitly get your CV's out to the agencies.

Sounds like you should have good chances in e-gaming or maybe HSBC call center. There are always openings and the salaries could be up to about 16.000 /year , definitly a lot higher than the usual Maltese salary.

You probably have good chances at some of the language schools managing the after school programs for students. There are a lot of students from Eastern Europe and Russia in Malta at the moment.

Local customer service in Malta would always require Maltese language although I'm not that sure how much customer care is promoted in Malta-)))

I know a few people working in e-gaming if you have any specific question feel free to ask for more details.

Cheers
Ricky

hi ricky.you are very helpful,actually online gaming is what i have in mind,so if you know any sites i can apply to or any relative information,i would be grateful..

Hi all, i'm new to this site but I hope to move to Malta next sept with my husband. I want to make sure I get plenty of info before I get there.

Ricky I have done a lot of customer service and call centre work but never worked in e gaming just wondering if you could give me any tips.

Hi kamwendo,

welcome to the forum.

Do you mean you are coming to Malta this September or in one years time?

Malta is home to a few hundred e-gaming companies , big and small. If you are interested in working in that area you can contact them directly or through the job agencies in Malta.

I think you can divide the jobs into two categories, either'backoffice' specialized jobs like risk management,fraud detection,accounting and so on and the customer care jobs where you deal with the players,answering questions,solving account problems and basically making sure they are happy and stay on board and pay and play as much as possible.

Typically these jobs are for native or very good speakers of one or more of the European languages ( German,Swedish,Polish and so on) as you usually deal with players from your language country. Besides English you have to speak at least one other language and be prepared to work shifts and sometimes weekends too.

The big HSBC call centre in Malta actually belongs to HSBC UK and deals with UK customers so I think the main language is English.

So the best is probably to get your CV out to an agency and let them see what they can offer you.

If you have specific question about the job or companies feel free to ask as I know a few who work or have worked in e-gaming.

Cheers
Ricky

Be next year, although way thing are at the moment might try and get over by next oct/nov. Wanted to save a bit though before I come over. Don't like it in the UK at the moment its too much a rat race and people trying to rip you off all the time as the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Not to mention the rain. I love sunny weather always cheers me up and it means I can live with my husband. it will be a better way of life for us.

Noticed the rent is really cheap over there and they are nice apartments.

Cheers for the information.

Thinking about doing a degree at university of malta in accounting and business so the back office probably be good for that, besides it will stop me scaring customers away hehe not to mention i'm scouse. I have been told HSBC is very good over there but the interview process is very hard. Going to keep an eye out and thanks again

Oh Ricky how much would you say is a decent amount of savings to bring to Malta when I move? I know its like how long is a piece of string but thought I would ask just incase you do have an idea.

Now that is a really difficult question !

If you are just talking about the basics like a cheap apartment,food , electricity ,heating and things like that with no frills you might think in the range of 1000€ /month without income here on the island.

Check out the previous posts.There is a lot of info about costs of living that you can adapt to your own lifestyle.

Rent and living  appear low but so are the salaries ! But the sun is always shining ( nearly always-)).

Cheers
Ricky

Cheers Ricky I have also checked the other forums wanted to check with you aswell as you give a lot of good information on this site. I will be bringing about £5000 at least with me, so that should give me enough to get a job although I would prefer to have one before I get there, I know thats unlikely but i'm going to try.

One of the main reasons I want to go there is because of the weather, England is so rainy. We have also looked at places like Australia and Sweden but Malta is closer to home so easier for family, has a lot of english type laws and taxes and has a better standard of life from what i've seen.

Hi,

We are planning to move to Malta from Hungary. I am a doctor currently at home with my newborn. My husband is a pharmacist. What do you think of the possibilities getting a job in this field (pharmacy)? We both speak English and Hungarian.

Hi,

welcome to the forum.

I would suggest your husband stays at home and looks after the baby and that you work as a doctor. It will be a lot easier.

And if you want to come to Malta start learning Maltese -))) It will make things easier dealing with older Maltese as patients.

There are hundreds of pharmacies here in Malta and just as many pharmcists waiting to open one as the licenses are limited (you would have to buy one).

Cheers
Ricky

Thank you Ricky.
I couldn't leave my baby to my husband, she is so small. If there are so many pharmacies, aren't there any vacancy? I mean the don't employ pharmacists?

No,

One pharmacy - one pharmacist ! Very small and run by owner! You would also need to speak Maltese for drug safety reasons!

They might employ a sales girl for cheap Maltese salary!

Sorry for not so good news.

Cheers
Ricky

Thank you, it was a very useful information.

Hi Mig79, you can try the Malta Medicines Authority who might be able to offer a job in Regulatory work. They are presently recruiting. Google "Medicines Authority Malta". However language might be an issue also :(
Let me know your email if you are looking for accomodation

Hi,
I am a newbie at the forum.
Started considering to move to Malta, have already gathered some information about the island and the job opportunities - found one at maltaenterprise (maltaenterprise.com)
Have someone heard about this company? Any info would be great.
Thx

Hi Xemex,

welcome to the forum.

Malta Enterprise is a government agency to promote foreign investment and business in Malta. It is a very well known entity in Malta but .............it is a government agency !

I wish you luck with  applying for a job there. Their web site shows several interesting openings with the necessary qualifications. One not listed is probably being a 'blue-eyed boy or girl'. It is not clear whether Maltese language skills are required as in many other similar environments.

Having business experience in Hungary and contacts there will certainly be of advantage.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi,

THX Ricky for the quick response. I called them today, and was told neither being Maltanese nor the local language skills are required to be a successful candidate. I am afraid that you are right getting a job at a government related institution is nearly impossible. Even though I will try my luck :D 
as I have all the experiences and qualifications with ref. are listed in the add. (from Hungary and the UK)
Will see :D

Hi all, i'm new to this site but I'd like to move to Malta next spring with my girlfriend. I want to make sure I get the relevant info before we get there. Both of us are a team leader at a coffee shop in central London. We also have experience in hospitality as we worked in a 5 star hotel.
If anyone has any suggestion/info about these kind of positions, would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hi bali777,

welcome to the forum.

Spring is a good time to come to Malta as the season will be just starting up but just don't expect too much! In hospitality you will be glad if you are offered a 'Maltese' minimal salary unless you are applying for hotel director or similar jobs.

To my knowledge there are no real 5-star hotels in Malta. 4 -star hotels are sometimes comparable to 3-star hotels in the rest of europe but mostly not what you would expect.

Coffee shops are generally run as individual businesses.Coffee shops like in central London do not exist. The best you can look at is McCafe in St. Julians.

On the other hand ...we have a lot of sun and the costs of living are slightly lower than in London.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky, Many thanks for the info!

Hi Bali777,

to be fair with the stars there are about 10 hotels on the island that list themselves with 5 stars but I don't think they are in the same class as 5 star hotels you will know from the London area or other major cities in continental Europe.In particular the service is one of the main problems. But they can probably go through as very nice 4 star hotels.

There are several larger cafes in Sliema like the Cafe Cuba but I think they make do with owner,manager,cook and waiters/waitresses. They are also more like a mixture of restaurant and coffee shop.

You often find job offers for catering staff posted in the windows so just by walking the streets you might find a job especially in Spring.

Cheers
Ricky

Hmm..thanks for the more detailed information, I think I'll visit there and look around before spring...

Hallo,
And what about jobs in hotels in Malta. I have experience in this sector. I speak English, Russian, Spanish(basic) and my native language is lithuanian.
Thanks