Fresh man in Saigon, and what happens to all the BBQ?

Hi guys,

I just got off the plane 1 week a go and I gotta say Saigon is a bit overwhelming for me (I just got off from Dunedin-a much quieter place).

So now that I've got a job, a place to stay, a good directory for food and some good wheels to roll around town, what's next? I can see that Saigon is so diverse, one minute I was in the middle of the crazy traffic in Dist 1 then 10 mins later it's like a totally different world in Dist 7. My apartment is in the far end of Phu My Hung (can't remember the name yet), nice neighbourhood but it's mostly occupied by Korean and Chinese. One thing I notice is that, there's absolutely zero BBQ culture in Saigon, my local mate took me to a place that literally means "grill village" when I told him I wanted to do BBQ.
And to my suprise, you would sit down and wait for the food to be delivered to your table. I was like "What? That totally ruins the concept". I understand living space here can hardly suffice the requirement for an afternoon BBQ, and that they have different cooking method here. But really I want to see some "real" BBQ with pool and chilled beer. So if you guys are familiar with the expat areas (dist 2,7), please give me some advise on whether it's possible to buy a decent BBQ here? Any place to host one (public park, swimming pool if they allow)? And most importantly how many of you are willing to come, I want to throw a new comer BBQ just for the sake of knowing the network tehehe.

Cheers

You can buy a BBQ in the Anh Phu Supermarket (D2) But unless u have a mates place with a pool there are no public places you could take it.

If u wanna cook meat yourself you need to go to korean style bbq restaurants like SumoBBQ

Hello Flammable and welcome to Expat.com!

Harmonie.:)

There's cook your own BBQ places in District 1 such as... Quan An Ngon (160 Pasteur St, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam 8 829 9449). You might not get a pool but you get a nice view outside of D-1.

I always pass by BBQ Garden in district 1, but I don't believe you get to cook your meat there.

But if you find a nice BBQ that you like, definitely let me know.

BBQ Garden in D1 (Ton That Thiep Street) will be a nice place for you to have a BBQ , or If it is possible , you and your friends can go to Van Thanh Tourist Area in Binh Thanh District :) There is a good place for having BBQ and gathering together :) Have fun ^_^
Best Regards
Kelly

2 years ago, our friends could organize BBQ in Binh Quoi Resort ( binhquoiresort.com.vn) in Binh Thanh district; only some fees need paying...It's quite enjoyable with the view of countryside VN.

Hi everyone.

we're having a pool party BBQ on saturday 27th August, it will start around 4pm until late.
The pool is pretty smal and i don't suppose many people will get in there but we will have it anyways, it will be placed on our rooftop, 2-3 people can only fit in the pool at a time, however many drunk people can fit in it.

Please bring something for the BBQ and some drink. We got a big ice cooler. You can get the food and drink across from our house in Coop mart so don't worry about shopping place. they have a wide selection of meat and alcohol suitable for this event, its all in a reasonable price.

so far we plan to have some bacon, sausages and someone is baking cakes.
also plenty of beer and liquer

bring friends along

this is my number in any case 01285142866

regards Edd

@Edstar: cool :)

If you want a real taste of BBQ then try Al Fresco restaurant then.

Found a cool hole in the wall next to The Manor in Binh Thanh District. You sit at a table and they literally bring you a bucket of fire wood for you to bbq your choice of meat while you sit.

Barbeque Garden on 135A Nam Ky Khoi Nghia is a nice place, where they bring you your chosen meat/fish and you BBQ it yoursef at the table.  Kind of like fondue but BBQ styles!  It's decently priced and has a lively atmosphere in a garden lit with a million fairy lights.  Makes for a fun night with a group of mates.

Register as a Kiwi expat with the New Zealand consulate - they hold regular barbeques.