Travel Within Colombia While Waiting For US Passport Renewal?

I am a US Citizen. I want to renew my US passport. I went to the consulate in Barranquilla. I was told I need to wait ~7 weeks to receive my new passport. My old passport can be hole punched and returned to me. I also have a US driver's license. I need to be in Bogota every 4 weeks to have my braces tightened with my orthodontist. My question is, does anyone know if it's legal to fly or take the bus within Colombia with only a hole punched passport and a US driver's license? It's hard to find a definitive answer online and I don't want to risk being detained because I don't have a legally recognized document. Thank you for the help.

Dear Ryan,

Welcome to the Colombia forums of Expat.com ...

The bus concept is probably more viable than

air travel under the circumstances.  Common sense

tells a traveler that the airlines are more stringent

about security and identification than are

bus companies.

The policy in effect at various bus companies

could vary.  But I would be surprised if anyone

was deported for presenting your current group

of documents in an attempt to buy a bus ticket.

cccmedia, Expat.com designated Colombia expert,

in Medellín

I would go to the largest bus terminal I could find

in the current city.  Normally, multiple bus companies

display lists of destinations at the terminal.

By deciding in advance which destinations would

be a desirable place to spend up to four weeks,

one could theoretically make a snap decision as to

which ticket to buy based on the destinations

available.  Buy a round trip ticket, known

as ida y vuelta, so a second purchase is not necessary

at the end of the stay.

By staying in one metro for several weeks, one reduces

the need to buy additional tickets to other places.

The fewer tickets purchased, the fewer potential problems

with ID.

Let us know how this went.

cccmedia

Under the table...... I have been here for the last 10 years without valid ID due to a robbery and all my documents stolen. I have a valid passport but not the entry stamp. When I went to immigration in Bogota they told me that the fine for being here illegal (no documents) is 830,000 per month. I am well past the 100,000,000 mark at this time. I have taken buses to many places and I have had no problem. So, I am assuming you should be good to go. I tend to just show a photocopy of my passport, and if anyone questions me I just tell them that I do not go around with my passport on me for security reasons. Best of luck

If the OP has not paid in advance for ongoing

dental work, consider having the braces

tightened professionally in another city to

reduce the amount of travel and the number

of travel tickets to purchase over time.

--

Rey's trapped-in-Colombia story is mind-blowing ..

and worthy of a Twilight Zone episode,

at a minimum.

cccmedia in Medellíin

Under the table...... I have been here for the last 10 years without valid ID due to a robbery and all my documents stolen. I have a valid passport but not the entry stamp. When I went to immigration in Bogota they told me that the fine for being here illegal (no documents) is 830,000 per month. I am well past the 100,000,000 mark at this time. I have taken buses to many places and I have had no problem. So, I am assuming you should be good to go. I tend to just show a photocopy of my passport, and if anyone questions me I just tell them that I do not go around with my passport on me for security reasons. Best of luck
-@reycolombia63

I would not recommend this aproach to anyone. LOL

Kinda like not getting treatment after a stage 1 cáncer diagnosis..

My friend who lives in Mexico knows people who have done the same, and have no problem going in and out, even flying.

They are much more "laisssez -Faire" with tourism and migration there , at leats for people coming from rich countries.

Mexico. despite AMLOs leftist rethoric, knows what side the bread has the butter, and is recieving a lot of benefits from the North American Trade agreement, espescially with de-coupling from China

The Mexican Peso is one of the few developing world currencies that has risen against the $USD recently.

Colombia is a differnt case. And Venezuelan another case. Try being illegal in Venezuela. You will be a long term resident in a cockroach and rat invested jail within a month. The corrupt cops are always checking "Ze papers" there, citizens and foreigners alike, worse if you have blue eyes, light skin and speak with a heavy accent