Renewing Passport When Abroad, and Stamp Transfer. Caution

Fair warning to readers who may be afflicted with bibliophobia

long-thread.png

A fellow Canadian expat applied for his new PP early December through the Canadian consulate office in HCMC. He qualified for the streamlined application, as his current PP was neither lost, damaged, nor expired. The reason for his requiring a new PP was that he had run out of pages.

The quoted turn-around was 15 work days from the date the application was received. His new PP was delivered to him, via courier, 5 days after the consulate office received his application. Very nice work by the staff there. His old passport was returned to him, with the top right corners cut off. (he was rather delighted that the new PP's "Issued at" line states, "Ho Chi Minh City" :) )

So, with his newly minted eVisa in hand (the new eVisa showed his new PP #) he went to the border to do his visa run.

And this is where his education in new passport issuance commenced.

He presented his new PP to the officials at the Vietnam departure desk. He told me that they looked it over, and told him he had to go to the immigration/police in T.P. Kien Giang as there was no "Entry Stamp" in the new PP, hence he could not leave without documentation of his entry. He was also told that at all VN land border crossings, the border is manned by the military, not by immigration officers. Apparently, only the airports are manned by immigration/police. At the land crossings, the military are not authorized to make changes to immigration protocol.

No problem, he thought, as he had the old PP with him which had the "Entry Stamp". Nope, no good he was told, as the passport holding the entry stamp was now cancelled/invalid.

So, off he goes to T.P. Kien Giang, which took about 2 hours by taxi. Thinking that if he spent an hour at the immigration office there, and accounting for another 2 hours taxi ride back to the border, he'd still have plenty of time to cross into Cambodia and return.

Not so. Because the new PP required a new entry stamp, Kien Giang instructed him to go to HCM immigration offices. At this point he was not a happy camper. HCM was about a 4 hour sleeper-bus ride from Kien Giang, and by that time HCM's immigration offices would be closed. He arrived in HCM at ~11:00pm, got a hotel, and caught some sleep.

Early next morning he visited immigration in D1. Immigration advised him that because he was now in over-stay status, that he must exit VN by air. By air, and by air only. An over-stay visitor, he was told, could not exit via a land border crossing. He was instructed to go to Tan Son Nhat Airport, where immigration would advise him of the penalty for the over-stay. At both the immigration office in D1, and at the airport, the officials seemed unsympathetic to his reason for over-staying.

One day over-stay penalty was 1,250,000 VND.

Because his new eVisa stated his "Entry Point" as Ha Tien (Kampot, Cambodia border crossing), he opted to fly to Phnom Penh, at a cost of 5,850,000 VND.

In total, his border run took three days.

Costs were, including hotels (HCM and Phnom Penh), taxi and bus fares, train ticket from Phnom Phen to Kampot, two ferry rides, over-stay penalty etc etc etc was ~12,000,000 VND.

Should any expats/travelers/tourists find that they are requiring a new passport whilst abroad and who wish to avoid my fellow expat's experience, please ensure that any stamps which had been entered in your old passport are transferred to your new passport by visiting a VN immigration office prior to finding oneself in an over-stay position.

I think the officals screwed your friend over. There was no mention of a bribe, which is what they would have been after.If he has the original PP with the entry stamp and the new PP it should suffice.

I have done the very same thing at a land border and got through. Unless the laws have changed there seems to be something totally wrong about what happened.

I think the officals screwed your friend over. There was no mention of a bribe, which is what they would have been after.If he has the original PP with the entry stamp and the new PP it should suffice.
I have done the very same thing at a land border and got through. Unless the laws have changed there seems to be something totally wrong about what happened.
-@colinoscapee

Silver-tongued devil, you

:)

-@colinoscapee

Silver-tongued devil, you
smile.png
-@Aidan in HCMC

Most people would say acid tongue

According to an agent I spoke with yesterday and today (current Jan' 2024) it is confirmed one cannot leave legally across a land border without a stamp/visa in the valid passport. One can fly out though.

A couple of points in addition:

1. Since there was no mention of it in this thread, I can share that apparently "Some officers" at the land border will accept $50 to allow you to leave. (Presumably they're just going to stamp you out leaving the passport without an entry stamp/visa, essentially the same as leaving via an airport).
  2. According to information in this thread, I mentioned to the agent I would probably just go to immigration to transfer the stamp/visa properly, however my agent said: "HCM Immigration don't do it any more. Some clients tried but not success. Since the immigration in D1 they don't do visa service, they refused to do."

Hopefully there is someone on the forum who can verify this one way or another.

...According to information in this thread, I mentioned to the agent I would probably just go to immigration to transfer the stamp/visa properly, however my agent said: "HCM Immigration don't do it any more. Some clients tried but not success. Since the immigration in D1 they don't do visa service, they refused to do."
Hopefully there is someone on the forum who can verify this one way or another.
        -@Clip

Odd. Has me wondering precisely what they do do.

There's a member who's current eVisa expires in 10 days time (Jan.17th). Might be worth their while to drop in to immigration and get the final word, straight from the horse's mouth. ;)

Thanks for the update, Clip.

Chatting with a friend in HCMC about this subject and his response was:

"Maybe the immigration office in D3 might do the exit stamp. I got mine there in my new passport last year. (2023)"

Another alternative is to check the nearest police station and ask if they do the exit stamp

I guess I'm point man for the reconnaissance mission to District 3 then.

It'll probably be Tuesday or Wednesday morning, depending on weather conditions and enemy activity.

@Clip Looking forward to hearing your result mate. I'll be picking up a new passport soon.

This post is strictly about HCMC immigration. I have placed some key points in bold.

Some observations based on searching for the D3 address....

Among the slew of VN-visa.scam sites was the US embassy so I checked that (I'm actually from the UK).

https://vn.usembassy.gov/vietnamese-vis … ntry-exit/

They do link to the official VN gov website so that saved me scrolling through all the dodgy sites.

https://xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/en/gioi-thieu/contact

Turned out the official VN website has less info than the US embassy, with their contact page only listing:

1. Hanoi (etc....)
  2. Headquarters in Ho Chi Minh City:

- Address: 333-335-337 Nguyen Trai Street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City

- Tel: 028 39202300

- For instructions on procedures for foreigners' entry into, exit from and residence in Vietnam, tel: 028 39200365

Meanwhile, back on the US embassy page we get this interesting info:

Immigration Department in Hanoi

[etc...]

Immigration Office in Da Nang

[etc...]

Immigration Office in HCMC

(Handling visa and residence applications for foreigners residing in HCMC)

Address: 196 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai, District 3, HCMC

Phone: (28) 3824-4074 – (28) 3829-9398

Immigration Department in HCMC

(Handling Vietnamese visa and residence applications for foreigners residing from Binh Thuan downwards to the Southern provinces; resolving complex immigration cases such as re-issuance of an exit visa for lost/stolen passport, visa overstay, visa waivers, etc.)

Address: 333-335-337 Nguyen Trai, District 1, HCMC

Phone: (28) 3920-0365

Binh Thuan downwards? So foreigners in HCM should not really qualify to use this department? They appear to offer a lot of other services. Perhaps the US embassy is out of date.

As Aidan said somewhere, if they don't allow us to update a new passport "...it makes you wonder what they do do."

Shame there's more information available about the Vietnamese government on the US embassy website than their own. Thanks USA for letting me know where the Grab bike needs to go. I'll move forwards with a mix of hope and low expectations.

Immigration Department in HCMC
(Handling Vietnamese visa and residence applications for foreigners residing from Binh Thuan downwards to the Southern provinces; resolving complex immigration cases such as re-issuance of an exit visa for lost/stolen passport, visa overstay, visa waivers, etc.)
Address: 333-335-337 Nguyen Trai, District 1, HCMC
Phone: (28) 3920-0365                                                    -@Clip

That's where I'd place my bet (in spite of the agents info).

Thanks again, Clip, for keeping the forum updated.

No worries!

I agree it seems it should be the D1 location based on the info. That's why I think it could be that the US embassy may be out of date since the change reported by the agent.

I think I'm going to change tack and go for D1 first, though.

I shall go armed with both passports plus a print out of the relevant e-visa.

I wonder if I might also need a copy/screenshot of my residency listing. Surely not since it's on their website.

Bad news for everyone with an e-visa, I'm afraid:

District 1 office: "Get a plane and fly out."

District 3 office: "Not our authority, go to D1."

So now I have the choice to attempt to leave via a land border and pay $50 or pay $258 (based on a 6 mil ticket).

Leaving via the land border isn't 100%. I think if I do that, maybe I would need to do it early so if they stick to the law I can avoid overstaying. I need to be out by the 17th.

I also wonder what future implications it might have to have my exit stamp clearly done at a land border (I'm probably over-thinking that.)

I think time is getting short for an e-visa application. It could also result in more wasted money. My plan was to re-enter on 45 days anyway (1) to keep things simple in order to normalise the new passport; and (2) because 3 months isn't necessary given I need to get back to working soon and 45 days should be sufficient to organise that before getting onto a business visa.

Any thoughts or cautions on these issues?

As to flying out, I am not used to travelling by plane often, so I don't know the best place to find the cheapest flights, as I would probably have further costs for hotel and tuk-tuk rip-offs, food, etc. It's going to be ridiculously expensive just for a stamp out.

Seems like taking the risk at the land border might not be ideal but it might be my best option.

Thoughts, suggestions, cautions anyone?

DRAT!

Bad news for everyone with an e-visa, I'm afraid:District 1 office: "Get a plane and fly out."District 3 office: "Not our authority, go to D1."

Do you know, would immigration have transferred the entry stamp to your new passport if you were here on something other than a DL (tourist) eVisa?

So now I have the choice to attempt to leave via a land border and pay $50 or pay $258 (based on a 6 mil ticket).Leaving via the land border isn't 100%. I think if I do that, maybe I would need to do it early so if they stick to the law I can avoid overstaying. I need to be out by the 17th.

It's worth a try I guess, and you do have 8 days remaining on your current eVisa. I have my doubts though, based on my friend's report (in post #1), that they'll accept the $50 donation to their coffee fund, as he indicated to me that no "hints" were thrown to him that he could donate his way through. That, and your throwing for a bus ticket to Moc Bai and using the better part of a day travelling to the border and back have to be considered.

I also wonder what future implications it might have to have my exit stamp clearly done at a land border (I'm probably over-thinking that.)

My thoughts? I'm thinking that if you get the exit stamp in your currently blank (i.e. no entry stamp) new passport that this would not have any negative effect on future crossings, especially if the future crossings were by land (manned by military, not immigration officers). If anything, it might result in some internal departmental squabbling. The exit stamp itself is identical, whether issued at an int'l airport or at a land crossing and though the officer reviewing/scanning your passport at your next entry point will be able to see your history, due to it having been duly issued it wouldn't (shouldn't?) raise any red flags.

I think time is getting short for an e-visa application. It could also result in more wasted money. My plan was to re-enter on 45 days anyway (1) to keep things simple in order to normalise the new passport; and (2) because 3 months isn't necessary given I need to get back to working soon and 45 days should be sufficient to organise that before getting onto a business visa.Any thoughts or cautions on these issues?

Pragmatic! I like the way you've thought this out.

As to flying out, I am not used to travelling by plane often, so I don't know the best place to find the cheapest flights, as I would probably have further costs for hotel and tuk-tuk rip-offs, food, etc.

Recent posts on another expat.com forum (Philippines) are suggesting Google Flights (Link) as a good sources for cheap travel. I believe on Google Flights that you can opt to buy the recommended flight directly from the airline, with a link to the airline's official web page in the search results. I've not used it (yet). If so, take that option as it is infinitely easier to deal with an airline in the event something goes awry.

It's going to be ridiculously expensive just for a stamp out.

Agreed, should the $50 donation fall through. See, again, post #1 in this thread. Almost 6 million VND for a one-way to Phnom Penh (GAK!). His total border run cost ~12 million VND, and took 3 days.

Seems like taking the risk at the land border might not be ideal but it might be my best option.Thoughts, suggestions, cautions anyone?        -@Clip

If you can spare the time, it's worth a shot.

What a bloody rigmarole for people renewing their passport while in Vietnam.

Thank you again, Clip, for the updates and your findings on this. Please continue to keep us informed.

Cheers Aidan, for putting my over-thinking mind at more rest about the exit stamp being identical!

I've just contacted the agent to say if this $50 deal is truly available I'll do it. Let's see how she responds (probably during office hours tomorrow).

As such, for the time being I'll not pursue the flying option, but be ready to react fast if necessary.

Would immigration have transferred the entry stamp to my new passport if I was here on something other than a DL (tourist) eVisa?

I can't answer that beyond gut feeling and conjecture, having seen all the counters with various options. I feel like it's just a tourist thing and I feel like the reason they stopped it is probably due to our changing passport numbers being a pain to track in their e-visa/gov website system. I can see how 3 month e-visas might increase the numbers of people doing so.

More time making it more likely for people to need the service; as well as more time meaning people (like me) will take the opportunity to get it done within good time.

With an uptick in changing passport numbers for particular individuals in their system one can see if this caused issues they might just think that since these are tourists anyway immigration might as well save themselves the trouble and just boot them.

All pure conjecture, of course!

If it is anything TRC related that's covered in the D3 office: applications and issuance, where they seem a little more friendly, and a lot more polite and communicative (professional?) Perhaps they are more forthcoming in such matters than the grunts and withering looks one can get at the D1 office, and because TRCs are apparently valid for up to 2 years (today I heard something said about that to an Indian guy IIRC).

Last school year a teacher had to suddenly go home for family reasons. That right there is an example of how someone on a TRC and LIVING in VN might suddenly need a new passport (unplanned trips, etc.) and I doubt they'd tell those people to eff off on a plane (especially that they are essentially backed by a sponsor).

Another reason I think non-tourist related permissions to stay might be treated differently is because I know for a fact there are teachers "legally" working in official roles in the system who are "not qualified" to teach.

As I recently mentioned elsewhere, last school year I worked for a very powerful and strict language centre with very close connections to the government. There are at least 2 teachers there who do not have the basic university degree required by law, but the company can pull a few strings for the right people. One of them is married to a local (but certain strings would still be required to be pulled to get him into a classroom). The other guy is not married to a local. Both of them would be considered management material in the company but are not and this is the open secret as to why.

That's my short version of saying "No idea, mate" ha!

About the rigmarole, I was struck today by the thought that this really isn't helping Vietnam to come across as a user-friendly tourist destination. They used to do it and most other countries to my knowledge will do it. I'll bet Thailand does it! Maybe this is Vietnam's clever way of not being another Thailand?

-

The agent has got back to me already:  "Yes. You can go with me. I will help."

The agent has got back to me already:  "Yes. You can go with me. I will help."
        -@Clip

YESSSSS!

Fingers crossed for you Clip.

The following is a conversation with SNVI where I asked if the exit visa can be transferred to a new passport.

[11/01/2024 09:28:32] PeterAntoan: My passport will only have 5.5 months left after my visa expires. I am waiting for my new passport.

Can I transfer the exit stamp from the old passport to the new passport before the visa expires, or will I have to leave Vietnam and return with a new visa?

Thank you.

Peter Safe

[11/01/2024 09:32:32] Snvi: hello

[11/01/2024 09:32:39] Snvi: when will you have new passport?

[11/01/2024 09:32:51] PeterAntoan: I can have it next week

[11/01/2024 09:33:47] PeterAntoan: That will leave me with six weeks on my existing visa

[11/01/2024 10:29:36] Snvi: your evisa will be expired by end of Feb, right?

[11/01/2024 10:37:41] PeterAntoan: Yes that is correct, Feb 28

[11/01/2024 10:58:08] Snvi: you can leave VN with both new and old passport, no need exit visa. after that, apply evisa with new passport to come back

in this case, you should leave soon and exit via airport, because the immigration at landborder may make difficult for you when leaving

The following is a conversation with SNVI where I asked if the exit visa can be transferred to a new passport.[11/01/2024 09:28:32] PeterAntoan: My passport will only have 5.5 months left after my visa expires. I am waiting for my new passport. Can I transfer the exit stamp from the old passport to the new passport before the visa expires, or will I have to leave Vietnam and return with a new visa?Thank you.Peter Safe[11/01/2024 09:32:32] Snvi: hello[11/01/2024 09:32:39] Snvi: when will you have new passport?[11/01/2024 09:32:51] PeterAntoan: I can have it next week[11/01/2024 09:33:47] PeterAntoan: That will leave me with six weeks on my existing visa[11/01/2024 10:29:36] Snvi: your evisa will be expired by end of Feb, right?[11/01/2024 10:37:41] PeterAntoan: Yes that is correct, Feb 28[11/01/2024 10:58:08] Snvi: you can leave VN with both new and old passport, no need exit visa. after that, apply evisa with new passport to come back in this case, you should leave soon and exit via airport, because the immigration at landborder may make difficult for you when leaving        -@Safepeter

Interesting, the agent's non-response to your question, "Can I transfer the exit stamp from the old passport to the new passport before the visa expires, or will I have to leave Vietnam and return with a new visa?". It's probably safe to assume, according to all reports from members to date, that the answer would be a resounding "No".

Just a couple of questions, SP. Am I correct in thinking that in order for you to receive your new passport so quickly suggests to me that your are taking advantage of Australia's version of Canada's "Simplified Passport Application", as had my friend, referenced in the OP of this thread? If that is the case, must you provide the Aus embassy/consulate with your old passport when submitting the application for the new? If not, would you be able to exit with the old (unmarred) passport which bears the current entrance stamp? I'm thinking you could exit with the old (and get it "exit stamped"), and reenter with the new eVisa, new passport, and receive the new entry stamp. The only hitch I can see in this, provided you get to keep the old passport without it being adulterated/clipped/hole-punched/whatever, would be if VN immigration are made aware, immediately, by the Aus embassy/consulate of the cancellation of the old passport.

I'm throwing this out purely as an intellectual exercise, certainly not as a recommendation to follow (for now 1f609.svg)

I'm a little confused by the agent's message, "you can leave VN with both new and old passport, no need exit visa. after that, apply evisa with new passport to come back...". Is the agent suggesting that you apply for the new eVisa while you are outside of Vietnam? If you can get your new passport as early as next week, my advice is to apply then for your new eVisa (with the home address caveat discussed in various threads, of late. i.e. not in VN)

"...in this case, you should leave soon and exit via airport, because the immigration at landborder may make difficult for you when leaving". Not sure why you should "leave soon", but I'm in total agreement that carrying a new passport without an entry stamp normally requires one to leave by an int'l air route, not by a land crossing. I say normally, but you might want to contact the member who posted here (Link) for details of his agent. $50 coffee money sounds like a nice economical and time sensitive alternative to having to fly out.1f610.svg

A basic (flight) plan B:

If I must leave on or by the 17th, ideally in theory I could book a return flight leaving on the evening of the 17th and a return for the very next morning (18th) for a quick turn-around.

I just find an inexpensive hotel near(ish) the airport, or maybe even a cafe if there was an early morning flight available..

Exiting via the airport with both passports as mentioned by SNVI should be simple, albeit not inexpensive, but hopefully there will be no problems returning just for 45 days with a new UK passport but not with an e-visa, since I don't require 3 months.

I heard the $50 thing depends on the officer and then also after a shift change. Thinking out loud. At which point along a line is wisdom or foolishness?

A basic (flight) plan B:
If I must leave on or by the 17th, ideally in theory I could book a return flight leaving on the evening of the 17th and a return for the very next morning (18th) for a quick turn-around.
I just find an inexpensive hotel near(ish) the airport, or maybe even a cafe if there was an early morning flight available..

Exiting via the airport with both passports as mentioned by SNVI should be simple, albeit not inexpensive, but hopefully there will be no problems returning just for 45 days with a new UK passport but not with an e-visa, since I don't require 3 months.

I heard the $50 thing depends on the officer and then also after a shift change. Thinking out loud. At which point along a line is wisdom or foolishness?
        -@Clip

If me, I'd try plan A ($50 cafe fund) on the 13th, 14th or 15th. This will give you plenty of time to skedaddle on the 17th, via air.

Best not to find yourself in an overstay position.

I'm getting dizzy...

I'm getting dizzy...
        -@OceanBeach92107

Me too, apparently, seeing as today is already the 14th

(me so duh)

Ok ... the latest news from Immigration HCMC.

After collecting my passport this am, the Australian Consulate directed me to D1 immigration to get the exit stamp transferred to the new passport.

In D1 I went to the foreigners section and spoke with an officer who speaks very good English.

He took both passports, opened the old passport to the page with the exit visa stamp, inserted the new passport into the same page where the exit stamp is, and then wrapped a rubber band around both passports.

He then said to hand these to Immigration at the airport when you FLY OUT.

DO NOT go to Moc Bai as they are not allowed to transfer the exit stamp into the new passport.

I believe this ends this dizzy saga.

Ok ... the latest news from Immigration HCMC.
After collecting my passport this am, the Australian Consulate directed me to D1 immigration to get the exit stamp transferred to the new passport.

In D1 I went to the foreigners section and spoke with an officer who speaks very good English.

He took both passports, opened the old passport to the page with the exit visa stamp, inserted the new passport into the same page where the exit stamp is, and then wrapped a rubber band around both passports.

He then said to hand these to Immigration at the airport when you FLY OUT.
DO NOT go to Moc Bai as they are not allowed to transfer the exit stamp into the new passport.

I believe this ends this dizzy saga.

I will now apply for a new visa, fly to Chiang Mai, and return with the new visa.

The old passport was not cut/holed/torn in any way. The Consulate will advise Immigration that I now have a new passport. With both passports banded together I got the idea that the visa is current until I depart VN for a day or so in Thailand. Immigration gave no indication that departure was to be ASAP.

-@Safepeter

@Safepeter

Excellent report. Thank you for that.

So, how long in Chiang Mai?

@Safepeter
Excellent report. Thank you for that.
So, how long in Chiang Mai?

-@Aidan in HCMC

Oh, I think one or two nights.

I did ask girlfriend if she want to Chiang Mai for a week, but I would monitor her spending. She replied "in that case I not go".

🤣🤣

Success!

It's based on the availability of 2 persons who might help, and also on shift changes at 11am. I paid for the transport and got the initial confirming "You're lucky" message on Zalo about an hour into the trip.

I cannot begin to explain the feeling of NOT having anything to worry about because it was the 15th (yesterday) but I was not due to leave until the 17th (tomorrow) so no matter what happened I would have time to turn around and get a flight out if necessary. Even so, I got the good news confirmation early and everything went simply and easy. 1.6 mil VND.

They saved me a small fortune in time, trouble and energy. No plane, no hotel, no tuk-tuk, no currency shenanigans between VND, USA and Riel, no being stuck an extra day or three, no waiting for applications or need to use financial systems outside of VN or so many other related issues we all face.

Do not attempt this on the day you must leave in case nobody is available to help you. Go a couple of days early and you have nothing to lose but a lot to save.

Now I need to share the key info privately with one of the regulars so the secret isn't lost, I guess....

@Safepeter

Are the figures for renewal of your passport the same as quoted in the post, here?

If so, OMGoodness!

Success!
It's based on the availability of 2 persons who might help, and also on shift changes at 11am. I paid for the transport and got the initial confirming "You're lucky" message on Zalo about an hour into the trip.

I cannot begin to explain the feeling of NOT having anything to worry about because it was the 15th (yesterday) but I was not due to leave until the 17th (tomorrow) so no matter what happened I would have time to turn around and get a flight out if necessary. Even so, I got the good news confirmation early and everything went simply and easy. 1.6 mil VND.

They saved me a small fortune in time, trouble and energy. No plane, no hotel, no tuk-tuk, no currency shenanigans between VND, USA and Riel, no being stuck an extra day or three, no waiting for applications or need to use financial systems outside of VN or so many other related issues we all face.

Do not attempt this on the day you must leave in case nobody is available to help you. Go a couple of days early and you have nothing to lose but a lot to save.

Now I need to share the key info privately with one of the regulars so the secret isn't lost, I guess....

-@Clip

Ba-da-bing, ba-da-boom! WINNER!

Very happy to hear of your success in negotiating the run!

Message received on the agent's name by PM, Clip. Thank you very much.

@Safepeter
Are the figures for renewal of your passport the same as quoted in the post, here?
If so, OMGoodness!

-@Aidan in HCMC

My passport took about 2-3 weeks to arrive in HCMC. I paid $A475.00 for the new 10-year visa.

I don't know where the prices come from in the other post, but they are wayyyy over the top.