Tourist and CPF

What are the implications of a tourist having a cpf? if you spend less than 180 day per year max here, do you have to make a tax return because you have a CPF?

01/26/23 What are the implications of a tourist having a cpf? if you spend less than 180 day per year max here, do you have to make a tax return because you have a CPF?
-@ltoby955

No.  The CPF is issued by the Receita Federal, which also is responsible for collecting taxes, but it's just an ID number. 

@abthree Thanks, It's a positive to know that when I come back I can get the cpf and then a sim card. Many thanks

can i get my cpf before i arrive to brazil?

it's one of the optional attached files in online visa

@menna153

Yes!  I got mine a couple months before I arrived in Brazil last June.  I am here on a Retirement Visa.  Getting my CPF was about the easiest part of everything...

@MA22 sounds cool , do you have any idea how can I get it? and what are the needed documents ?

they haven't "checked" my visa application till now and i believe it may be the lack of attached documents

@menna153 Boa noite!  This was almost 9 months ago so I'm trying to remember. It was pretty basic like my passport number and photo and some other easy to  copy documents.  The requirements should be listed on the consulate Website you are sending your materials to.  Mine was in Chicago.  This was all online to upload.  Then they give you a digital copy of your CPF card to print yourself.  Then I had it laminated. Boa sorte com tudo!

@MA22  Can you get a Brazilian CPF on a tourist Visa? Or have I misunderstood?

I tried to apply for it online on the Receita's Federal website but it asked for the number of my resident card or equivalent document.

should I have applied within another institution?

Coul you please be so kind to clarify it?

Is it possible to get CPF before i get my visa?

It's one of the requirements for the application

You can get a CPF without a permanent visa (you will need a CPF to be able to make any major purchase), and you can use your passport as ID.

Personally, if you are thinking of a permanent visa, then I would approach a recommended attorney and bundle the whole process together...

05/26/23  A foreigner in Brazil, whether a resident or not, can obtain apply for a CPF at any Post Office.

Any person living abroad of any citizenship can apply for a CPF at any Brazilian Consulate.

@abthree Thanks, It's a positive to know that when I come back I can get the cpf and then a sim card. Many thanks
-@ltoby955

Don't count on it (activating the SIM card). I (and others here) couldn't activate our cards with our new CPFs, at least not through the automated process. You'll have to either go to a shop/service center of your chosen provider, or do it via phone. I have received my CPF more than a year ago, and i think now it seems to work to activate a SIM card (i haven't gone through the entire process yet), but just back in February, it didn't work.

05/26/23. Several people have reported the same problem with SIM cards that Kurterino does.  Having a good CPF doesn't help much with a bad cell carrier.  And they're all bad, IMHO.  😵‍💫

-@ltoby955
Don't count on it (activating the SIM card). I (and others here) couldn't activate our cards with our new CPFs, at least not through the automated process. You'll have to either go to a shop/service center of your chosen provider, or do it via phone. I have received my CPF more than a year ago, and i think now it seems to work to activate a SIM card (i haven't gone through the entire process yet), but just back in February, it didn't work.
-@Kurterino

Since November 2021, the government requires a CPF number to activate a SIM card. At some stores, the agent might use their own number to aid the customer, which is against Brazil's law. It's just one of the things some people do to make a living,  https://www.gov.br/anatel/pt-br/dados/u … o-pre-pago