The cost of Living in Mexico in 2023

Hello everyone,

As every year, we invite you to share your experience on the evolution of the cost of living in the region or city where you live in order to answer future requests for information from new members of the site who would like to move there soon in Mexico.

In terms of accommodation, how much does it cost to rent/buy a flat or house in in Mexico?
How much do you pay on average for public transport (bus, metro, train, tram, taxi)?
What is the average price of your monthly food basket?

How much does health insurance cost? How much does it cost to see a doctor in Mexico?

What about school fees for your children?

What is the average monthly cost of electricity, gas, water, internet, telephone?

What is the average cost of your leisure activities?

If there are other expenses that you think are useful, please share them!

Thank you in advance for your future contribution.

Mickael
Expat.com Team

I am sorry to see that I am the first one to answer and it's already March. Unfortunately, I have nothing to add since I lived in Mexico for six years in the mid to late 80s. (I am still conversant in Spanish). If any of your audience can remember back to then, talk about inflation! I am considering Mexico as one of the several Latin American countries I'm planning on moving back to in late 2024. And to those you answering, please consider putting your data into the website, Numbero (Look it up if you're not familiar with).

Think this definitely depends on the area of Mexico but I have noticed costs have gone up...

Food has gone up noticeably in Puerto Vallarta. Even my little hole-in-rhe-wall restaurant has raised prices on the comida corrida ( fixed price lunch) from 60 pesos last year to 100 pesos ( price raised twice since the winter from 80, then 90, now 100) last month. Still a great values, but considering …

Well just under 2 years in Mexico so I caught the start of USA inflation..... What little is happening here doesn't bother me esp with the prices now after I left the USA. My mother paid almost $20 for "so so" hamburguesas in the USA last week...... I pay less than that for a wagu burger made at the  restaurant owned by our butcher!

It will have to get magnitudes worse for me to start worrying.

Iv'e retired in Culiacan Sinaloa...on the do not travel warning from US gov.  I chose Culiacan since that is where my wife's family live.  Summer heat and humidity can be oppressive. I have had no problems from drug cartels or your general riff raff. I walk the streets and use public transportation in town. Traffic is horrible and not too many drivers respect traffic laws. I walk for exercise an average of 3 miles a day.

Rent for a 2dr 2ba runs 3500 peso per month water 100, electricity 98 peso a month without A/C. Gasoline about 20 peso per liter. Car insurance (min coverage) runs me 100 dollars per year. Eating out plan on 100 pesos per person per meal. Telcel phone is 300 pesos per month. Internet and cable 500 pesos per month. 200 dollars a month keeps us full on fresh produce, chicken and some beef.

Beautiful park with rivers and greenery are abundant. Musemus, amazing botanical garden, zoo, theater... and shopping malls keep us entertained. Winter and Spring weather is great.  Its a safe place to be aside from the horrendous traffic. From here I can catch a   plane from our airport and be in Tijuana in two hours. Crossing Bridge from airport to San Diego places me in USA from Culiacan in 2 and half hours.

Retired and spend six months each year in PV.   Seeing the changes.   Still beautiful but more traffic, more expensive, less peaceful.   If you have the money, great.  Still affordable compared with our northern neighbors.   But the charm of MX seems to have gone.😕

@reginadow1

Hi. There. Russ here in Chicago. By any chance do you know the are of San Pancho

im thinking of relocating there    Trying to find some expats in that region

to talk too

thx.  Russ.

@Mickael

The cost of life in general in México depends on the regional where you live. In general for an european is 1/3 of life in Europe.

About the renting flats it also depends on the áreas and if you live in a Town or in a village, if in a crowded and touristic place or a simple one.

Closed