Anyone Living In Manzanillo, Mexico?

Hi!

Recently I read how a person can afford to live in Las Brisas, a safe neighborhood near Manzanillo, for $630.00 a month in total expenses. This includes a air conditioned, two bedroom, furnished apartment for $300.00 a month and includes WiFi.
This world be affordable for me.
But I wonder if this is for real.
I'm retired and my monthly income is not much so I am serious about moving out of the USA.
I once lived in Spain and would love to move back but now it is very expensive, unlike years ago. I learned to speak Spanish though not as fluent as I was but able to pick it up rather quickly. This is one reason I'm interested to moving to a Spanish speaking Country.
Another is the locally grown fruits and vegetables. Are they organic?
Also wondering about health care.
Would very much appreciate answers to these questions and any other type information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much and bunches in advance!
Linny

LinnyLu wrote:

Hi!

Recently I read how a person can afford to live in Las Brisas, a safe neighborhood near Manzanillo, for $630.00 a month in total expenses. This includes a air conditioned, two bedroom, furnished apartment for $300.00 a month and includes WiFi.
This world be affordable for me.
But I wonder if this is for real.
I'm retired and my monthly income is not much so I am serious about moving out of the USA.
I once lived in Spain and would love to move back but now it is very expensive, unlike years ago. I learned to speak Spanish though not as fluent as I was but able to pick it up rather quickly. This is one reason I'm interested to moving to a Spanish speaking Country.
Another is the locally grown fruits and vegetables. Are they organic?
Also wondering about health care.
Would very much appreciate answers to these questions and any other type information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much and bunches in advance!
Linny

Could be true, given the problems they have been having with cartels, I don't know about the safe part. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ … sco-colima

But I do know about the food in general, I have been over much of Mexico and it does grow organic. Even what may not be strictly organic is not U.S. pesticide and GMO loaded. I have no trouble getting good healthy tasty food in most of the small to moderate towns. The very tiny towns along the cost require that you go to a larger town, but still the fruit vendors generally have good quality items.

Health care is also good from what I have seen, and I am a medical professional so I know what I am looking at. I had a family member who was treated in Merida, and the care was very good. The doctor spoke 3 languages and was very available and current.

Sounds good to me. I am thinking of moving to a small mountain village and health care is important to me. I need to know if my meds are over the counter or script only.

bothner06 wrote:

Sounds good to me. I am thinking of moving to a small mountain village and health care is important to me. I need to know if my meds are over the counter or script only.

Depends on what the meds are. Some of the things that are sold as scrips in the U.S. may be on shelves in the pharmacists area  in Mexico, Some may be hard to get because they are not used much in Mexico.

Mexico's attitude about drugs is very different from what you have known. The biggest change will be how pharmacists, and pharmacy techs operate here. Many people will skip the doctor and ask the pharmacist unless it is a major problem , so the pharmacist and techs are treated more like health care advisors who also dispense meds.

Instead of just people who dispense prescribed meds, and advise patients of side effects. There are also drugs that are over the counter in the U.S. that will be behind the counter here. The pharmacies are very different. There are not isles and isles of OTC meds in Mexico you, for the most part cannot just pick what you want and take it to a cashier. What your will find in the limited space is things like topical products, food items for diabetics, supplies and vitamins, very few of anything looking like a drug will be available for you to pick up.

What I have observed  several times, is that some drugs are not that easy to find.. I don't take drugs, but my family member did, and his specific prescriptions had us going all over town to different pharmacies looking for someone who would have those drugs. So the pharmacy may or may not have your drugs, but a different pharmacy in that town or a larger town may have them. Be sure you have prescriptions for those drugs when crossing the border. I understand some living close to the border travel on a regular basis back to the U.S, for some drugs.

Travellight,
Thank you for replying and the link. It is much appreciated.
Nothing was written in the article
about Manzanillo having a high murder rate or drug problem. Was written by a expat in a magazine for people interested in becoming expats. One would think this would be important to mention.
Very nice to read how food is grown organic with no GMOs. Where I live buying organic food is very expensive.
Since you have traveled all over Mexico what places would you suggest that would be affordable and safe?
Manzanilla was appealing from what I read and also in addition to being close to the ocean
Health care is important in the event I'd need it. The pharmacy's sounds much like they are in Spain. First time I learned this about Mexico.
By accident I found Expat.com and so glad I did. It is important to me to hear from people and their advice.
Thanks so much!
Linny

Great thread.  Travellight thanks for the pharmacy and medication info. Super helpful.  Linnylu do you mean Manzanillo or La Manzanilla?  I learned recently they are two different towns fairly close together in Mexico.  https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g … Coast.html

Hi MagentaHeart,
In Manzanilla.
I just learned that Mexico requires a certain amount of income to live there.
Do you, or anyone, know if that is the case?
As well, how long could one stay, not retire and live, according to Visas?
I'm not sure where I'd want to live. I want to stay for a while in different Countries in South America but have to start somewhere!
Thank you for the link. I'll certainly check it out.
Meanwhile I'm open to advice.
Thank you!
LinnyLu

There are no income requirements for a tourist visa, which is good for up to 180 days.  There are income requirements for temporary and permanent residency visas.  My understanding is that for Temporary it ranges between $1,300-$1,500/month.  Temporary is good for one year and then you can apply for a 3 year extension after that.  Permanent is closer to $2500/mo.  I'm more familiar with Temporary.  These amounts change depending on the exchange rate and which Mexican Consulate you go to in your home country.

Manzanillo was the city asked about so that is what I responded to.

hello LinnyLu   I would like to keep in touch as it sounds like economically we are about in the same place. 650 a month would be reasonable for me. I want to be near the ocean. Caribbean or Pacific don't care as long as it is warm and relatively calm.  February through March i will be in Cancun and then Tulum. Found some places really cheap through air bnb. So I am beginning my investigation of Mexico. Peace

This is a very interesting thread as I too am just starting to explore Mexico as a place to retire as a single woman.  I will be retiring early sometime this year and am more interested in a better quality of life including great weather and more affordability than what is available in the US.  I am attending a conference in Mexico City next month and hope to get many questions answered.

Our close Mexican friends here in the US suggested Manzanillo to us,  so that is where we are starting our search

Hi I am currently living near Salagua and would like to meet and talk to other people who have been here already or have been before

Hi,
I live in Akumal, which is between Cancun and Tulum... closer to Tulum.
In general, this is an expensive area for Mexico.
I guessing this is one of the biggest ex-pat areas.
If you can find it, there are rentals in some of the local pueblos for under $500/month...
but most expats want something a bit more upscale.

Come down and have a look.... but almost anywhere else in Mexico will be more affordable.