Visa question

I have read some people saying how horrendous the process is for trying to get a long term visa in Thailand. That the bureaucracy makes it very daunting and  nightmarish.   I was under the impression it was possible to pay an agent to do for you? Is this incorrect?

I have read some people saying how horrendous the process is for trying to get a long term visa in Thailand. That the bureaucracy makes it very daunting and nightmarish.  I was under the impression it was possible to pay an agent to do for you? Is this incorrect?
-@Teatowel

You don't need an agent to extend your stay annually, and it's not a visa. You,like many others have been listening to wrong people. Everything is about meeting the requirements,nothing else. My extensions takes less than 5 min every year at my immigration office. Cost: 1,900 baht/year, a bank letter for 100 baht and about 20 baht more for some copies of this and that.

@Teatowel

What kind of extension are you wanting to get?

It's not that difficult you just need the right information and paperwork.

The topic has been talked about quite a bit on here you might do some

data mining on here.

I have done it my self over the last 4 years, this year I went to an agent for my extension, with little cost he arranged everything, my first 90 days was due recently, my agent handled it for me without me having to do anything. When time comes for my next extension I again will pay my due's and all will be done. If you are in Chiang Mai I will pass on my agents details. 

I have done it my self over the last 4 years, this year I went to an agent for my extension, with little cost he arranged everything, my first 90 days was due recently, my agent handled it for me without me having to do anything. When time comes for my next extension I again will pay my due's and all will be done. If you are in Chiang Mai I will pass on my agents details.
-@Barry343

Just out of curiosity, why use an agent if you have done 3-4 extensions already by yourself? And 90 days reports are free and can also be done online.

Can i have the agent adresse

Thanks for replay

Nico

@Teatowel If you qualify for a long term visa I don't see the process being that 'nightmarish' at all. That said if you don't actually qualify and are trying to 'fudge' the data a little that might cause them to be suspicious and require you to provide more details or better 'verification' of your qualification claims, which I suppose could indeed be very stressful and 'nightmarish'!

I used an agent to get my visa, Marriage Type O ... married in Thailand, and it was literally harder to get the marriage certificate than the Visa (the 'Boss', the only one that could sign the certificate, was on a months long absence to attend , if I recall correctly, the official ceremony for the new king!)

Not that an agent is needed but personally I used one to obtain the original visa and to do the annual extensions. I do this because it the paperwork for the visa was a bit daunting, not that it was that complicated for someone who knows what they are doing (the agent) but if for someone who is new to Thailand and doesn't speak Thai it's hard to know exactly what forms are needed, what supporting documentation is needed to verify the information you provided, what needs to be notarized and how many copies of each is required ... the agent knows these specifics so you can deal with the agent without fear of causing suspicion or raising the frustration level of an immigration officer. As well, the agent knows the immigration officers and can deal with any 'cultural misunderstandings' that you might not catch onto or understand.

I also use an agent for the annual extension, not because it's complicated, it's not, but because there is some paperwork that needs to be filled out and there are a few possible options for me to use when showing I still meet  my visa requirements, and the Agent knows better which option is the easiest and less likely to trigger the need for more detail (in my case as a Canadian I have the options of 'lump sum money in a bank account', the monthly income into Thailand, or a verification letter from the Canadian consulate.)

For 90 day reporting I do that myself and online, as using an agent for this doesn't make sense since it is super easy, free, and will even fill in the form for you once you give the application your passport number and country of citizenship.

@bdlandry

Hello

Can you provide the link for the 90 reporting?

Thank you

https://tm47.immigration.go.th/tm47/#/login

(h t t p s : / / tm47.immigration.go.th/tm47/#/login )

Click on the "Don't have an account? Apply" part at the bottom to register!

Excellent, thank you very much!

@bdlandry i need to obtain marriage O visa come May next year.

will live full time in thailand with my wife of 21 years from Buriram.

is there a recommended list of agents that have been used successfully?

@bdlandry i need to obtain marriage O visa come May next year.
will live full time in thailand with my wife of 21 years from Buriram.
is there a recommended list of agents that have been used successfully?
-@Skater2010

Are you asking about a 1 year extension based on marriage at the local immigration office? An extension is not a visa, it's an extension of stay. If you meet the official requirements, there's no need for an agent. There are many agents in Thailand that don't do extensions based on marriage. And you have to apply for the extension with or without an agent in the province you're going to stay.

@Leeds forever! No, I will be moving to Thailand in May 2023. Not an extension.

@Leeds forever! No, I will be moving to Thailand in May 2023. Not an extension.
-@Skater2011

Ok,but you asked for an agent. Applying for a 90 days Non-immigrant O visa based on marriage is done in your home country, and it's an eVisa you apply for, and it's done online. Just check out the Thai embassy in your country for requirements and the link to the eVisa website. You just register and follow step by step. It's dead easy.

Go to your local Thailand Embassy (make an appointment).  Talk to someone there about what your options are for obtaining a long term Visa for Thailand.  That is their job - and if there are local 'migrant agents' in your country, they can provide you with a list of those they approve to use. Some people are OK with paperwork and it is no trouble, others struggle to complete a basic document. If you need an agent to do all the paperwork then obtain one locally before you move. The Thailand Embassy might even also have a list of approved agents in Thailand who can do your annual extensions etc. - your Embassy in Thailand certainly should have that list.  But talk to the Thailand Embassy first - there are lots of options - ask for information on them all - then decide - then go see migrant agent.  And as @leeds says - be careful - dont rush in - there is a lot of rubbish and bad information given out on the forums (not so much this one).

My understanding is that if you apply for a "retirement visa" in your home country you will get an O-A Visa which will require a minimum amount of health insurance. Whereas if you apply for a "retirement visa" while in Thailand, arriving as a tourist, you would convert to an O visa and health insurance is not required. (but recommended) I believe that both visas are mostly similar in all other ways, though I'm not an expert.

Go to your local Thailand Embassy (make an appointment). Talk to someone there about what your options are for obtaining a long term Visa for Thailand. That is their job - and if there are local 'migrant agents' in your country, they can provide you with a list of those they approve to use. Some people are OK with paperwork and it is no trouble, others struggle to complete a basic document. If you need an agent to do all the paperwork then obtain one locally before you move. The Thailand Embassy might even also have a list of approved agents in Thailand who can do your annual extensions etc. - your Embassy in Thailand certainly should have that list. But talk to the Thailand Embassy first - there are lots of options - ask for information on them all - then decide - then go see migrant agent. And as @leeds says - be careful - dont rush in - there is a lot of rubbish and bad information given out on the forums (not so much this one).
-@AussieBob99

There are only 2 different Long Term Visas,the O-A and the O-X, and both are rubbish. There are not "lots of options" for people looking for a Visa to be able to move to Thailand as a retiree or when married to a Thai. No one needs to talk to the Thai embassy or using a "local agent",what ever that is.

The Thai embassy website has all the info you need,you just need to be able to read. This is not rocket science,even if it seems you think so. Go to the eVisa website and register,check out what's needed and then submit the documents.How hard is that? If people can't handle this on their own,they should maybe think twice about moving.

@Leeds forever! Thanks for this info

whats about the Thai Elite Visa? I don't see any posts about that. Is it still available?

@bdlandry

from [link moderated]

Can i have you agent adresse for information thanks

Moderated by Yoginee last year
Reason : For security reasons, do not share contact details on the forum
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@Leeds forever! Thanks for this info
whats about the Thai Elite Visa? I don't see any posts about that. Is it still available?
-@Guest6882

Sorry for a late answer. Yes,of course it is,but why do you want it? It's just a waste of money unless you don't meet the requirements for long stay visas or extensions while in-country. Just google it and you'll have all the info you need.

@nicolaspano424 online report do not cost you anything and only 5 mins of your time go this address          https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/on … blicguide/

@nicolaspano424 online report do not cost you anything and only 5 mins of your time go this address     https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/on … blicguide/
-@chrisstoltz

The first 90 days report must be done in person. Same thing if you get a new passport while in-country.