Visa Question - Guarantor?

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the newbie nature of this post; I couldn't see it being discussed anywhere else in the forum.

I'm currently completing a visa application (I think it is non-immigrant "B") and it's asking for a Thai guarantor. 

What does this mean?  I don't know anyone in Thailand who could vouch for me - I could ask my estate agent perhaps?

CircadianRhythm wrote:

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the newbie nature of this post; I couldn't see it being discussed anywhere else in the forum.

I'm currently completing a visa application (I think it is non-immigrant "B") and it's asking for a Thai guarantor. 

What does this mean?  I don't know anyone in Thailand who could vouch for me - I could ask my estate agent perhaps?

B Visa is for business activities

Full details here onThai MFA Web Site

Thanks, that's useful.  But I meant the guarantor part...

CircadianRhythm wrote:

Thanks, that's useful.  But I meant the guarantor part...

Yes I am aware of that. Perhaps you will find the answer in the instructions from the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs on the link I have provided or failing that the Thai Embassy where you intend to get your visa.

Personally I think the word "guarantor" relates to a letter of invitation or something similar.

Please don't think I am being rude but are you sure you require a B visa? I ask this because in your original posts on this forum you mention coming to CM for a couple of months?

A local guarantor is a person that can vouch for you and your stay. They will usually be financially responsible for you during your stay and will have to cover any costs in the event should you need to be deported

Leave it blank as a foreigner you are responsible of yourself financially.

Clarify your current situation as you just arrived in Chiang Mai, which visa do you have ? are you looking to work or to open a business ?

I will be in CM from 21 April.  I will be working for my New Zealand-based employer.  I am not looking to open a business.

I'm not certain I require a B visa, no.  I will be working for my New Zealand-based employer, and was hoping to stay for three months from 21 April.

kris napat wrote:

A local guarantor is a person that can vouch for you and your stay. They will usually be financially responsible for you during your stay and will have to cover any costs in the event should you need to be deported

Leave it blank as a foreigner you are responsible of yourself financially.

Clarify your current situation as you just arrived in Chiang Mai, which visa do you have ? are you looking to work or to open a business ?

Yes, the Embassy have said to leave it blank too :)

CircadianRhythm wrote:

I'm not certain I require a B visa, no.  I will be working for my New Zealand-based employer, and was hoping to stay for three months from 21 April.

Well if you are doing actual work  here you would certainly need a B Visa. Also a work permit. But your employer should sort that out.
On the other hand if you are working remotely via the Internet whilst having a holiday the visa situation might be different

thetefldon wrote:
CircadianRhythm wrote:

Well if you are doing actual work  here you would certainly need a B Visa. Also a work permit. But your employer should sort that out.
On the other hand if you are working remotely via the Internet whilst having a holiday the visa situation might be different

Thanks thetefldon.  So it seems I have a few things to still work out before I go :)