Follow all our news on Facebook!

Traveling to the Netherlands


It is best to inquire on travel formalities beforehand if you intend to move to the Netherlands. Here is some useful information.

If you wish to travel to the Netherlands, you should be aware of related formalities. European Union citizens, for instance, do not require any administrative formality to travel to the country. However, foreign nationals coming from non-European countries have to fill in certain requirements to be allowed to enter the country. These generally vary according to the purpose of their visit and the duration of their stay.

Thus, you are advised to seek all related information with the Dutch Embassy or Consulate in your home country before proceeding.

Schengen Area

The Schengen visa allows you to travel to the Netherlands and move around the country without any restriction. In fact, this visa entitles you to a 90 days stay every six months. However, you are highly advised to be in possession of your passport and identity card or passport. Minors traveling to the Netherlands should also have a parental consent letter.

Less than three months stay

Foreign nationals from the following countries are exempt from the visa requirement for a less than three months stay in the Netherlands:

Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macao, Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, Nicaragua, Norway, New Zealand, Panama, Paraguay, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Uruguay, USA, Vatican and Venezuela.

If your country is not listed above, you will have to apply for a visa at the Dutch Embassy or Consulate in your country of origin for at least two months before the scheduled date of departure.

More than three months stay

Foreign nationals wishing to make a more than three months stay in the Netherlands have to apply for a MVV, that is a temporary resident permit. Citizens from the following countries are exempt from the visa requirement:

Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Norway, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia.


Those wishing to travel to the Netherlands can choose between four types of visas, namely the A-visa, the B-visa, the C-visa and the D-visa.

The A-visa is the transit visa which allows you on the Dutch territory only within the airport. This visa applies to the nationals of the following countries:

Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Guinea, Iraq, Iran, Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Sri Lanka.

The B visa entitles you to a maximum of five days stay in the country. It is issued to foreigners whose final destination is not a Schengen country but who have to spend a few days in the Netherlands.

The C-visa applies to different types of trips such as holidays, tourism, business, family or friendly visits or participation in public events, etc. It is valid for a maximum of six months period and authorized multiple entries for a total of three months.

D-visa, for its part, is a temporary residence permit which allows to spend more than three months in the country. The MVV is issued for three months and has a maximum of one year validity. Note that the MVV is essential if you wish to apply for a residence or work permit in the country.

 Useful links:

Ministry of Security and Justice - Immigration and Naturalization Service
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
The Netherlands Embassies and Consulates worldwide

Recommend Your favourite team
Member since 01 June 2008
Small earth, Mauritius
Write a comment

See also

The first thing one is supposed to do after he/she arrives in a new country is to get registered with the municipality/government of the new country. It is very important here to comply with all the laws and get the documentation work correctly.
Amsterdam offers a wide range of accommodation options for expatriates. Registering with a real estate agency may be very helpful.
Relocating to the Netherlands requires appropriate planning. It is better to hire removal experts who will take care of all related formalities.

Expatriate health insurance in the Netherlands

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in the Netherlands

Moving to the Netherlands

Find tips from professionals about moving to the Netherlands

Travel insurance in the Netherlands

Enjoy stress-free travel to the Netherlands

Flights to the Netherlands

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to the Netherlands