Follow all our news on Facebook!

Questions about the Inburgering exam

Hi all,

Decided to join this forum as my thought has been bothering me alot :(

My partner is a Dutch and we have been together in a long distance relationship (sucks) and I really need to move to NL to be with him. Looks like, the Inburgering exam is the only way for now. Some questions to clarify my doubts:-

1) Can the exam be taken only in the country that I reside in currently? eg: can I take the exam when I'm visiting in NL?

2) Is there any other way for the partner to apply some sort of long term pass / visa for me?

3) Even if we decide to get married, I still have to pass the test? Or is there anyway else?

Many thanks in advance!

Hi there m,

To answer a,b,c the answer is yes the exam is compulsory. IND will not grant you the MVV/TEV without passing the exam

As for only taking it in your country of residence I am not 100% sure but in my case I took the exam at a Dutch embassy in my country.

The exam is actually quite easy so you have nothing to worry about as long as you practice daily.

All the best


Thanks! What if out of 3 sections, you failed one or two section of it? Do you then have to repeat the exam all over again or just the section that you failed?

How long upon passing the exam you need to wait for the pass to be approved to stay legally in NL? :)


If you fail one out of the 3 sections then you only rewrite what you failed and not the whole exam, this is info I found online while researching for my exam but you can confirm with the embassy.

Once you get your results you can apply for MVV right away if you have all the right documentation. I am anxiously waiting for my answer from IND

Good luck

Inburgering Exam Tutorial .Pm me :D

donnainguillo :

Inburgering Exam Tutorial .Pm me :D

As the thread is closed where you offered payed Dutch lessons through Skype, I would like strongly advise only to take lessons from a native Dutch speaker.
No offence to you but native speakers can teach you much more than those who speaks Dutch as a second language.

That's true and I don't disagree but Im open for their choice .Thank you

Hi.Do you know where I can look for a Native Dutch Language buddy.Is there a website? Thanks Annette Steenkamp

've a look at:  (info in other language than NL or EN)
Welcome to Naar Nederland
This website is for people who wish to prepare to take the Basic Civic Integration Examination Abroad. This is the examination which some people must take and pass in order to obtain a provisional residence permit (mvv) allowing them to live in the Netherlands.
IMPORTANT: read this brochure about integration in the Netherlands by the Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment. The brochure is available in several languages. Click here.
IMPORTANT: If you’ve bought the Naar Nederland package before 1 november 2014 you can download the NEW KNS QUESTIONS here. You have to make the new exams on a computer. You can read about it in the article below (More about changes in the basic civic integration exam for those abroad).

Hi donnainngullo
I will speak to my husband and let you know. What day in the week and time do you normally book Skype lessons?


MVV is still necessary even if you get married. I flew back to Singapore to take the exam after I got married. There is no easy way out. Unfortunately.

Best of luck!

For dutch lesson (language and culture) contact Linda  at Amsterdam.
Tel: xxx,
all the best,

Moderated by Bhavna 10 months ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details via private messaging.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Tinkerbelz... Did you already take the Inburgering exam?

Hi Khinvdijk, nice to e-meet you. No I've not yet done so. Looking at beginning of next year maybe.

I have paid for it, just need to book the slot, but I most probably won't do so this year as I will be travelling in Oct and Dec :)

I am looking for a buddy to take Dutch lesson for the exam. Anyone?

Next questions - how do we book the test? We have to pay first then they will tell you the exam date?

Thanks a lot

As far as I know, the only alternative is that you and your partner settle in another European country for a couple of months and get a residence permit there.

Hi, tinkerbels!you must take the inburgering to your current place where u lived now, plus u can come here to NL also but only to take a visa good for 3 month, even though u are married u still need to get the exam.....

New topic

Expatriate health insurance in the Netherlands

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in the Netherlands

Moving to the Netherlands

Find tips from professionals about moving to the Netherlands

Travel insurance in the Netherlands

Enjoy stress-free travel to the Netherlands

Flights to the Netherlands

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to the Netherlands