Can an RNI (Non-Resident) Apply for DigiD??

Hi Guys,

I recently registered myself in the Netherlands as a Non-Resident (RNI) and got my BSN.

I registered myself in Eindhoven and i written down on the sheet they gave me with my UK Address and my NL address (where i'm staying)

When i try to apply for/registering myself on DigiD an error comes up sating that my address is not up to date or do not live in the Netherlands.

But i am living in the Netherlands for a bit and i did call DigiD Support and they said if i gave them an NL address it will take a week to be on the system.

It's been more than a week now and still getting the same error.

I'm guessing that RNI's can't apply for DigiD?....but i need to use it!

If i'm wrong and someone found a solution, please prove me wrong and give me a solution? Please?

Thanks,

Selim

The RNI method of registering is for non-residents (cross-border workers etc) - in other words, for people not intending to live in Holland, but need access to pay taxes or see a doctor etc.

DigiD is for residents only; why do you need to use it?

Cynic wrote:

The RNI method of registering is for non-residents (cross-border workers etc) - in other words, for people not intending to live in Holland, but need access to pay taxes or see a doctor etc.

DigiD is for residents only; why do you need to use it?

Hi Cynic,

Then if that's the case then down the line i have to register myself as a resident.... it's a real shame....

It says that if a forgiener comes to live and work in the Netherlands as a non-resident they can contact and have a relationship with the insitutions in the Dutch Government.

For me this insitution is Agentschap Telecom (Radio Communications Agency).

I won't go into this publicly online but that's the main reason. in order for me to contact and have a relationship (use their service) with them, i need DigiD.

Have you tried phoning them; they have a Customer Service department on 050 - 587 74 44?

Cynic wrote:

Have you tried phoning them; they have a Customer Service department on 050 - 587 74 44?

I cannot use their services without a DigiD because they only send me information digitaly and that's via DigiD

Looks like i can't, so the way forward is to register myself as a resident to rectify this..

Just thinking about this; there is something not quite right here.  We currently live in the UK, my wife needed to renew her Dutch passport; we were in Holland so we went to the Gemeente and enquired there; you need a BSN they said; "Eh" said my wife (followed by some words I shan't repeat on here).  They then discovered that her BSN is actually printed on her current passport; so she has a BSN, but is not registered with any Gemeente; that didn't help much, but then the civil servant at the Gemeente suggested that she register at our daughter's address (in Holland), then register for DigiD and apply for new passport, which she did and it worked.  Maybe because you are saying you live in the UK is causing the problem?

Cynic wrote:

Just thinking about this; there is something not quite right here.  We currently live in the UK, my wife needed to renew her Dutch passport; we were in Holland so we went to the Gemeente and enquired there; you need a BSN they said; "Eh" said my wife (followed by some words I shan't repeat on here).  They then discovered that her BSN is actually printed on her current passport; so she has a BSN, but is not registered with any Gemeente; that didn't help much, but then the civil servant at the Gemeente suggested that she register at our daughter's address (in Holland), then register for DigiD and apply for new passport, which she did and it worked.  Maybe because you are saying you live in the UK is causing the problem?

But this is the thing. i am in NL and i gave the Gemeente my NL address on the form i filled. Maybe i should call them..... find out whats going on. Maybe they didn't take my NL address into account......

RNI is also for the Dutch  who emigrate to another country. Only for them the process is a bit harder. Me example I can't get one because I don't want to travel 5000 km to show up at a certain selected gemeente. And no, don't arrive at Schiphol neither.
You should get one and like you said maybe the changed the addresses. Make sure you have a Dutch mobile number where they can send the code on to get activate.

Primadonna wrote:

RNI is also for the Dutch  who emigrate to another country. Only for them the process is a bit harder. Me example I can't get one because I don't want to travel 5000 km to show up at a certain selected gemeente. And no, don't arrive at Schiphol neither.
You should get one and like you said maybe the changed the addresses. Make sure you have a Dutch mobile number where they can send the code on to get activate.

Then I don't understand this; nowadays, all Dutch nationals are allocated a BSN at birth.  RNI is the temporary national database for people who work in, but have no permanent residence in Holland (typically cross-border workers); they still get a BSN number and should they, later on, become a permanent resident, they retain that BSN, there is no real difference between a temporary or permanent registration.  Dutch nationals who don't live in Holland (for any reason) are not registered on the RNI.

Thoughts? :)

It's fine guys..... i called the Gemeente yesterday where i registered and they said they cannot add an NL address on my RNI in the Person's Database....

Real shame......

The BSN number is the previous Sofinumber which was invented somewhere in the eighties. Dutch people who left before that time had never have it. They can apply for it when you are still abroad but you have to go to one of the so called RNI gemeente. You can do that when you are visiting the Netherlands. But not everyone is able to visit regularly their home country (like me).

A DigiD is still not mandatory and you can live without it but at the some point you need it to get your pension fund for example.
Till now it's still not possible to reply from abroad and they know its a problem for many.

Before I visited the Netherlands last year, I was trying to understand the whole procedure and what I should do. I contacted the municipality where I lived before my departure and they send me to a RNI gemeente. Luckily for me it was very close to my parents house. I made an appointment at forehand on the second day of my arrival to make sure I got mine on time. I went and they said there were some slice changes and I need to contact a " belastingkantoor" which was an hour drive away...
I was frustrated as I had no time and no car to get there.

Hi,

I know this post is old, however did you ever get this digid code?
Can you get it if you get a BSN as an RNI?

NK2021NL wrote:

Hi,

I know this post is old, however did you ever get this digid code?
Can you get it if you get a BSN as an RNI?

You get a BSN even if on the RNI.  A BSN is a BSN, there is no difference to what it entitles you to.  DigiD is the way in which Dutch residents communicate with the Dutch Government departments to do things like pay taxes (it's an online Portal).

Yes, we have a BSN as a RNI but don't know if we can get DigiD account using that. So wanted to know if the original poster ever got the code in the post.

Then probably better off asking at the Gemeente where you registered.  The DigiD is issued by post when you register at the Gemeente.

Hi guys, im in the same position. UK resident working in Netherlands and i have a BSN via RNI but no registered address here as i stay in my companies apartment in their name. I've just been vaccinated against Covid in the Netherlands and trying to log my vaccination on the new CoronaCheck app so i can travel back to UK as a fully vaccinated person. However it directs you to DigiD and that you have to have this to update your vaccination records for flying. Any info on how we can do this if not a Dutch national?

I don't think you can, yet.  DigiD is not only for Dutch nationals, it's for all Dutch residents; the fact that you're on the RNI means by definition, you are not wholly "resident" in the Netherlands, you must have told them when you registered that you're only there for a short time.  The RNI is for people who need access to a bank account, a GP etc for the short time they are in the Netherlands, so they get the BSN from their registration

Bottom line, as of today, your NL vax is worthless in the UK and my UK vax is the same in NL.  I'm not impressed.

Cynic
Expat Team

stevencsteve wrote:

Hi guys, im in the same position. UK resident working in Netherlands and i have a BSN via RNI but no registered address here as i stay in my companies apartment in their name. I've just been vaccinated against Covid in the Netherlands and trying to log my vaccination on the new CoronaCheck app so i can travel back to UK as a fully vaccinated person. However it directs you to DigiD and that you have to have this to update your vaccination records for flying. Any info on how we can do this if not a Dutch national?

Hi Steve,

I got my BSN in 2018 as a non-resident but back then as a EU citizen there was no option to apply for Digid as a non-resident at the time. I used the BSN to get a Bank account in NL

But in 2020, i saw on the application form on the DigiD website, EU citizens who were non-resident were able to apply for DigiD as a non-resident (Providing if they had a Dutch BSN), but you have to go to the nearest Dutch Embassy or Consulate in the EU country you are living in to get your Activation Code via appointment

But if the Dutch Embassy/Consulate in the EU country you are living in wasn't providing the service where you can get your DigiD Code via appointment, then you would need to go to a Neighbouring countries' Dutch Embassy/Consulate to get your DigiD code.

Before the UK fully left the EU in 2020, i was trying very hard to get an appointment, but due to Covid the Dutch embassy in London were not listing any appointments on the appointments page....

But on 11pm 31st December 2020, it was too late...'British' was removed from the country drop down list on the DigiD non-resident application form. We lost our EU citizenship and all the rights we enjoyed as EU members. :'(

Now we can't apply for DigiD as a non-resident anymore.... As a British Citizen We had the chance in 2020, but Covid stopped the appointments taking place.

However, i heard down the grapevine that if you have a Dutch Bank account, in the near future, you will be able to log into Dutch Government websites via iDin (The same company who provides iDeal) and because everyone in the Netherlands has their Bank Accounts tied in with their BSN number, logging into government websites will be available via iDin, alongside DigiD.

I hope this happens soon.

Thanks!

NK2021NL wrote:

Yes, we have a BSN as a RNI but don't know if we can get DigiD account using that. So wanted to know if the original poster ever got the code in the post.

Hiya,

Please read my reply above :)

Thanks.