Do you dream of pursuing your higher studies in Bulgaria? Find out what you need to know on this country's higher education system in this article.
Over the years, Bulgaria has become a leading European destination in terms of higher studies. In fact, hundreds of students worldwide have chosen to study in Bulgaria for various reasons: its developed higher education system, its pleasant environment and climate, as well as its cultural heritage. Bulgarian universities specialize in numerous fields, such as mathematics, computer science, engineering, chemistry, biology and linguistics, etc. Moreover, enrollment formalities are quite simple. So you are the most welcome in this South-East European country.
Higher education system
The Bulgarian higher education system consists of universities, specialized schools and colleges. Hence, you will find a total of 51 institutions among which 37 are public. Most of these are found in Sofia, Blagoevgrad, Bourgas, Varna, Veliko Tarnovo, Gabrovo, Dolna Mitropolia, Pleven, Plovdiv, Rousse, Svishtov, Sliven and Stara Zagora, etc.
Courses are taught in several languages, namely Bulgarian, English, French and even German. You can choose between short-term courses over three years and part time courses over four years. As regards the Masters, it involves five years of study. In terms of qualifications, in fact, most universities deliver diplomas, bachelors, masters and doctorates upon completion of a general or specialized study program.
To register for the first year of higher studies, you are required to produce your bachelor's degree, or any equivalent qualification, to the Bulgarian Ministry of Education and Science. The latter's approval is compulsory before proceeding. Note that you will also need a recommendation letter from a qualified person or a recognized educational institution in your home country.
Foreign students have to follow a pre university language course for a year so as to get acquainted with the local university environment and lifestyle. They also have to pass two other examinations before enrolling in a university. Note that criteria vary from one university to another.
To enroll in a Bulgarian university, you are required to fill an application form with the Bulgarian Ministry of Education and Science. You should also specify the program you are choosing along with details. This application will then be forwarded to the respective university. Documents to be produced are the following:
- a duly filled and signed application form containing your personal information, your resume, as well as details on the chosen university and on the course you wish to follow
- a copy of your bachelor's degree along with your baccalaureate results if any
- copies of your diplomas and other higher education qualifications (if applicable)
- a certificate of your right of access to higher education issued by your home country's relevant authorities
- certificate of knowledge of the Bulgarian language issued by a Bulgarian high school (for any student not wishing to take part in the preparatory year)
- a copy of your passport
- a medical certificate issued not more than one month before the submission of your application
- 4 passport-size photographs
- a recommendation letter issued by a qualified person or recognized institution in your home country
- a cover letter.
All these documents must be translated into Bulgarian and certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country where they have been issued. They must also be authenticated by the Bulgarian embassy or consulate in your home country of origin or be stamped by the Hague Convention.
Ministry of Education and Science www.minedu.government.bg
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Bulgaria www.mfa.bg
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Bulgaria – Visa application form www.mfa.bg/uploads/files
Top Universities – Study in Bulgaria www.topuniversities.com
Study in Bulgaria www.studyinbulgaria.com