Traveling to Hong Kong


Most visitors have to apply for a visa to travel to Hong Kong. Find more information in this article…

Before moving to Hong Kong, you have to seek information on the procedures to follow. These differ from those applied in China as Hong Kong has its own government. Therefore, you must comply with its laws and requirements. You might need a visa to travel to Hong Kong as a tourist or a professional. Citizens from visa exempt countries can travel with a valid passport.

The list of countries whose citizens are exempted from visa for stays of between 14 and 90 days is available on the Hong Kong government's website

 Good to know:

Hong Kong is one of China's two special administrative regions. However, visa formalities do not apply to residents of China and Taiwan.


You are eligible to apply for a visa or entry permit to Hong Kong provided you have no criminal record, you have sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay and you have your return air tickets. Thus, you can apply for an ID 1003A type visa or an ID 1003B type visa with the Chinese authorities or at Chinese immigration offices, diplomatic agencies and consular missions. You can also download the form on the Hong Kong Immigration Department website.

Note that you must be at least 16 years old to be eligible. Otherwise, your application form has to be signed by your parents or guardian. Documents to be produced are: your identification documents, a duly completed visa application form, passport-type ID photos, proof of sufficient funds, proofs of your visit's motives, etc.


You are not allowed to work, study or indulge in any commercial activity, whether remunerated or not, with a tourist visa. However, you are allowed to conclude contracts, carry out control exercises, attend seminars or workshops, etc.

 Good to know:

Fees apply. These can be paid in cash or check when the visa is issued. The waiting period generally lasts four weeks.

 Useful links:

Hong Kong Government
Hong Kong Immigration Department

Recommend Your favourite team
Member since 01 June 2008
Small earth, Mauritius
Write a comment

See also

If you wish to get married in Hong Kong, you first have to notify the Civil Status Office. You are also required to register your marriage after your marriage certificate is issued.
Hong Kong is mainland China's most prosperous city. Its economy is mainly driven by the tertiary sector, supported by an open labor market.
Setting up a business in Hong Kong has almost become a trend for foreigner as it is not a difficult task, consisting of only three main steps.
Hong Kong is a very popular destination for foreign students and young professionals looking for internship opportunities abroad.
Hong Kong hosts several types of higher education institutions, including post-secondary schools, universities, vocational schools, etc.

Expatriate health insurance in Hong Kong

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Hong Kong

Moving to Hong Kong

Find tips from professionals about moving to Hong Kong

Travel insurance in Hong Kong

Enjoy stress-free travel to Hong Kong

Flights to Hong Kong

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Hong Kong